Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   perfect songs (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7085)

automatic bzooty 05.31.2010 01:31 PM

i'm pretty sure i said marquee moon already buuut... MARQUEE MOTHERFUCKIN' MOON

Count Mecha 05.31.2010 01:53 PM

^ Word. Marquee Moon deserves multiple mentions. Beyond perfect.

I'd say Rodan's Toothfairy Retribution Manifesto, that last song on Rusty. My favorite tempo shift in music.

DeadDiscoDildo 05.31.2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
i'm pretty sure i said marquee moon already buuut... MARQUEE MOTHERFUCKIN' MOON

^^THIS

and why not...

Lou Reed: Perfect Day

EVOLghost 05.31.2010 07:31 PM

^ pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Lou reed by himself sucks.

SYHamilton 05.31.2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
Kathleen Hanna lost me after Bikini Kill. She has done ZERO that I have been interested in since.

Yeah, I would have to agree with that.

batreleaser 05.31.2010 08:45 PM

Warren Zevon-Poor, Poor Pitiful Me
Van Morrison-Linden Arden Stole the Highlights

Satan 06.01.2010 11:21 PM

violent femmes - good feeling
VU - ocean

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost

fuuuuuuck you ;p

go listen to street hassle

viewtiful alan redux 06.01.2010 11:39 PM

I hope these have been named already: Search and Destroy and I wanna be your dog are both once-in-a-lifetime perfect rock songs.you can't duplicate that kind of raw lust and energy

Satan 06.01.2010 11:58 PM

speaking of the stooges, gimme danger

automatic bzooty 06.02.2010 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost

lies!

technically it's only one lie... but it counts as 20

EVOLghost 06.14.2010 08:23 PM

Seriously! You cannot tell me transformer does not sound like Watered Down VU. Berlin is alright though

but it's all about this song. it's better than most songs Lou wrote by himself
Cats on Mars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lJ-v-Ex58w

pinkstation 06.15.2010 01:35 PM

Bob Dylan- "The Man in Me"
Van Morrison- "Sweet Thing"

GeneticKiss 06.15.2010 05:19 PM

34 fucking pages and not one Massive Attack song? For shame!!!!

-Safe From Harm
-Be Thankful For What You've Got
-Five Man Army
-Unfinished Sympathy
-Daydreaming
-Karmacoma (haven;t heard much off Protection)
-Angel
-Risingson (???!!!!!)
-Inertia Creeps
-Black Milk
-Future Proof
-Everywhen
-Butterfly Caught
-Small Time Shot Away
(only heard Heligoland once so I can't judge it yet)

Others:

-Sonic Youth: She's in a Bad Mood, Inhuman, World Looks Red, Making the Nature Scene, Kill Yr Idols, Early American, Society is a Hole, Ghost Bitch, Justice is Might, Death Valley 69, Satan is Boring, Halloween, Tom Violence, Starpower, Grreen Light, In the Kingdom #19, Secret Girl, Expressway to Yr Skull, Schziophrenia, Catholic Block, Stereo Sanctity, Pipeline/Killtime, Kotton Krown, nearly all of Daydream Nation and Goo, 100%, Theresa's Sound World, Shoot, On the Strip, JC, Purr, Genetic (duh, I got my board name from there), Hendrix Necro, Bull in the Heather, Skink, Self-Obsessed and Sexxee, Androgenous Mind, Screaming Skull, Waist, Sweet Shine, Becuz, Junkie's Promise, Washing Machine, Unwind, Panty Lies, Skip Tracer, The Diamond Sea, Sunday, Rain On Tin, Karen Revisited, Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style, Pattern Recognition, Unmade Bed, Stones, I Love You Golden Blue, Rats, Turquoise Boy, Pink Steam, Or, Blink, Sacred Trickster, Antenna, What We Know, Calming the Snake, Malibu Gas Station, Walking Blue, Massage the History

-Nirvana: If You Must, Blew, About A Girl, School, Negative Creep, Sifting, Come As You Are, Terrtorial Pissings, Drain You, Lounge Act, Stay Away, On A Plain, Something in the Way, Dive, Sliver, Been A Son, Mexican Seafood, Hairspray Queen, Aero Zeppelin, Big Long Now, Aneurysm, Serve the Servants, Scentless Apprentice, Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle, Milk It, Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, All Apologies, You Know You're Right

-Pantera: Cowboys From Hell, Primal Concrete Sledge, Cemetary Gates, Clash With Reality, Medicine Man, The Sleep, Mouth For War, A New Level, Walk, This Love, Rise, Live in a Hole, Regular People (Conceit), By Demons Be Driven, Strength Beyond Strength, Becoming, Hard Lines Sunken Cheeks, Slaughtered, 25 Years, Shedding Skin, War Nerve, Drag the Waters, 10s, Suicide Note (both parts), Living Through Me (Hell's Wrath), Floods, The Underground In America/Sandblasted Skin, Hellbound, Revolution Is My Name

-Radiohead: You, Creep, Stop Whispering, Anyone Can Play Guitar, Blow Out, Planet Telex, High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, Just, My Iron Lung, Sulk, Street Spirit (Fade Out), Airbag, Paranoid Android, Exit Music (For a Film), Karma Police, Climbing up the Walls, Lucky, Everything in Its Right Place, The National Anthem, Treefingers, Optimistic, Idioteque, Morning Bell, Packt Like Sardines In a Tin Box, Pyramid Song, I Might Be Wrong, Knives Out, Dollars and Cents, 2+2=5 (The Lukewarm), Sail to the Moon ( Brush the Cobwebs Out of the Sky), Backdrifts (Honeymoon is Over), Where I End and You Begin (The Sky is Falling In), The Gloaming (Softly Open Our Mouths in the Cold), There There (The Boney King of Nowhere), Myxomatosis (Judge, Jury, and Executioner), Scatterbrain (As Dead as Leaves), 15 Step, Bodysnatchers, Nude, All I Want, Jigsaw Falling Into Place

-The Beatles: I Want to Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, Drive My Car, Paperback Writer, Ticket To Ride, Norwegian Wood, Taxman, Eleanor Rigby, I'm Only Sleeping, Here There and Everywhere, Love You To, And Your Bird Can Sing, I Want To Tell You, Got To Get You Into My Heart, Tomorrow Never Knows, With A Little Help From My Friends, Getting Better, Fixing A Hole, Within You Without You, A Day in the Life, Come Together, Something, Oh Darling, I Want You (She's So Heavy), Here Comes the Sun, Because, You Never Give Me Your Money/most of the "Long Medley"

-Blur: There's No Other Way, She's So High, Girls and Boys, Parklife, Charmless Man, Beetlebum, Song 2, On Your Own, You're So Great, Death of a Party, I'm Just a Killer for Your Love, Strange News From Another Star, Coffee and TV

-Pink Floyd: Arnold Layne, See Emily Play, Astronomy Domine, Interstellar Overdrive, Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun, Careful With That Axe Eugene, The Nile Song, One Of These Days, A Pilliow of Winds, Echoes, The Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here from start to finish, Dogs, Sheep, In The Flesh, The Thin Ice, The Happiest Days of Our Lives/Another Brick in the Wall Pt. II, Empty Spaces/Young Lust, Babe Don't Leave Me, Hey You, Is Anybody Out There, Vera, Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell, The Trial

-Prodigy, Break and Enter, Breathe, Diesel Power, Narayan, Firestarter

-The Who: I Can See For Miles, Pinball Wizard, Baba O'Reily, Won't Get Fooled Again, The Real Me, Who Are You

-Bush: Everything Zen, Little Things That Kill, Greedy Fly, Swallowed, The Chemicals Between Us, The People That We Love (Speed Kills)

-The Zombies: She's Not There, Time of the Season

-Dick Dale: Miserlou

-My Bloody Valentine: Only Shallow, Soon

I could go on, but I don't feel like it anymore.

EVOLghost 06.15.2010 05:31 PM

^ you forgot Endless Nameless.

GeneticKiss 06.15.2010 10:27 PM

I forgot a lot of stuff. I was going to list some classical and avant garde electronic compositions as well (John Chowing's "Stria" and Jean-Claude Risset's "Mutations") but I got bored.

nicfit 06.18.2010 04:03 AM

Rolo Tomassi: "Kasia"

DeadDiscoDildo 06.18.2010 04:58 AM

Rhapsody in Blue.

It's on repeat lately.

atsonicpark 06.18.2010 05:03 AM

pretty much every slowdive song is perfect when I'm depressed.

ni'k 06.18.2010 05:08 AM

what a load of fucking shit thread. there are no perfect songs just idiots making lists of songs they like because they can picture themselves in the place of thurston or kurt cobain or some asshole and their idea of music is some sort of dreamy transubstansiation with a rockstars image on a stage to remove them from the misery of their own shitty life were everyone thinks they are a douche and they try to enjoy sonic youth mp3s like its a fucking relegion that will lead them to the facist rock dream promised land not a horrible chore.

OH WAIT NO IM SORRY.

PAVEMENT - STEREO MAN THIS SON GIS SO PERFEC ITS LIKE LIKE THE PREFECTIFIDOSDFNSDAF IWENSJEFKAN WESJ;WEFSKJL;ASEFJIM WAIPOR132ERWDFS

nicfit 06.18.2010 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k
what a load of fucking shit thread. there are no perfect songs just idiots making lists of songs they like because they can picture themselves in the place of thurston or kurt cobain or some asshole and their idea of music is some sort of dreamy transubstansiation with a rockstars image on a stage to remove them from the misery of their own shitty life were everyone thinks they are a douche and they try to enjoy sonic youth mp3s like its a fucking relegion that will lead them to the facist rock dream promised land not a horrible chore.

OH WAIT NO IM SORRY.

PAVEMENT - STEREO MAN THIS SON GIS SO PERFEC ITS LIKE LIKE THE PREFECTIFIDOSDFNSDAF IWENSJEFKAN WESJ;WEFSKJL;ASEFJIM WAIPOR132ERWDFS

Did you start pissing in your dad's mug like KIS?

louder 06.18.2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

what a load of fucking shit thread. there are no perfect songs just idiots making lists of songs they like because they can picture themselves in the place of thurston or kurt cobain or some asshole and their idea of music is some sort of dreamy transubstansiation with a rockstars image on a stage to remove them from the misery of their own shitty life were everyone thinks they are a douche and they try to enjoy sonic youth mp3s like its a fucking relegion that will lead them to the facist rock dream promised land not a horrible chore

or maybe people just genuinely enjoy music

ni'k 06.18.2010 05:54 PM

then they are even more boring than you are.

FreshChops 06.18.2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

OH WAIT NO IM SORRY.

I'm pretty certain this little rant has absolutely nothing to do with the concept behind this thread. If you can't absorb music without attempting to vicariously place yourself in the place of the musician, or even assume that everyone else does the same, than that's pretty sad, obscure and I feel bad for you.

You've taken the confession of others concepts of a perfectly contrived song (as a craft or artform) and limited it to their association with the 'rock-star' status of the musicians..... confussed?

ni'k 06.18.2010 08:03 PM

omg IT WAS A JOKE but i am so glad i said it now to be graced with all this illuminating whinging. get over it maybe? or you could bore me to death continuing to discuss the semantic details of my TAKE THE PISS posts and relating them to failings in my life and personality and inability to understand the rule never ever dare to comment negatively about generic syg post no. 902371492 "I LOVE SONIC YOUTH I LOVE NIRVANA".

im sorry i didnt think it is the greatest thing to ever happen in the world. i am so very terribly sorry. i am crying tears of liquid boredom in shame of not getting the concept beyond the "post whatever song you decide is perfect" thread". please accept my utter submission to your many points, i have been bested and hang my head in utter shame. even this sarcasm is boring. please respond in non boring attacks that show me up and make me look stupid i await in BOREDOM.

come on guys why cant you embrace the philosophy of board as dicktopia? is it because you are too bored listening to so much beatles the crappiness has turned you into an angry husk of a person?

FreshChops 06.19.2010 03:28 AM

^ [yawn]

I'm bored, I'm boring, I'm angry at the world, blabbity blabbity....

ni'k 06.19.2010 03:37 AM

accusing someone of being angry at the world is just an empty argument. you start talking all this stuck up shit about how i cant listen to music correctly and you feel sorry for me after a joke post and then when i to salvage a joke out of it you post a yawn. thanks for that.

EVOLghost 06.19.2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
I forgot a lot of stuff. I was going to list some classical and avant garde electronic compositions as well (John Chowing's "Stria" and Jean-Claude Risset's "Mutations") but I got bored.

oh...I was just referring to Nirvana's perfect songs.

yumopal 07.02.2010 01:09 AM

new order - temptation, ceremony
joy division - new dawn fades
pj harvey - the dancer
CAN - moonshake, Halleluhwah
john coltrane - crescent
red house painters - katy song
big black - kerosene
mogwai - cody
tom waits - tango till they're sore
sonic youth - star power, schizoperinia, 'cross the breeze, i dreamed i dream, the world looks red
velvet underground - venus in furs
kraftwerk - radioactivity
brian eno - baby's on fire, third uncle, deep blue day
van morrison - madame george
dylan - i shall be released, subterranean homesick blues, It's alright ma, knocking on heaven's door, moonshiner, ballad of a thin man
charles mingus - better git it in your soul
astor piazolla - libertango, milonga del angel
built to spill - i would hurt a fly
captain beefheart - electiricity
david bowie - after all, velvet goldmine , art decade
funkadelic - super stupid
husker du - whatever
jesus & mary chain - just like honey, hardest walk
modest mouse - cowboy dan
stooges - gimme danger, fun house
joni mitchell -a case of you
king crimson - red, 20th century schizoid man
little richard - long tall sally
lou reed - sad song
mazzy star - be my angel
MC5-kick out the jams
meat puppets - oh me
morphine - night, buena
my bloody valentine - no more sorry, only shallow
nick cave & the bad seeds - mercy seat, loverman
nick drake - pink moon
patti smith - land, free money
PIL - memories, radio4
radiohead - let down, everything in its right place, fog
raincoats - void
shudder to think - hot one
rapeman - trouser minnow
replacements - androgynous
Ride -dreams burn down
roxy music - if there is something
Slint - good morning captain
slowdive -dagger
syd barrett - octopus
television -marquee moon
unwound -kantina, terminus
tangerine dream - mysterious semblance at the strand of nightmares
primal scream - higher than the sun, blood money

yumopal 07.02.2010 01:11 AM

johnny cash - god's gonna cut you down
Bob marley - natural mystic, redemption song

_slavo_ 07.02.2010 02:08 AM

^ the dude's got good taste.

DeadDiscoDildo 07.02.2010 03:44 AM

This song. Finally got the footage of it too for those of you who pm'd me. It's here.

RADIO FRIENDLY UNIT SHIFTER

(its alittle fast, alot of drunk, we learned it and practiced it once before this gig, and never learned the bridge...and i only had a distortion pedal and a big muff, but I still think it came out pretty good.)

http://vimeo.com/13028414

Edit: sorry, dont know where else to post it. Fuck that post graveyard called "do you have a band"

Beautiful Plateau 07.02.2010 04:10 AM

Womack & Womack: Teardrops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C1UqHWGibk

Keeping It Simple 07.02.2010 06:39 AM

This thread is way too subjective to be taken seriously.

space 07.02.2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
This thread is way too subjective to be taken seriously.

hi! welcome to the non-sonic sounds forum; a place to have wank, post a list and take yr own personal tastes in music far too seriously, because, you know, it's a perfect reflection of WHO YOU ARE.

that's why there are XXX pages of "perfect" songs. LISTS of "perfect" songs.

don't get me wrong, I have more than one favorite song (at any given time), but calling any of them "perfect" just feels like starfuckery.

Quote:

TRUTH.

Murmer99 07.02.2010 04:49 PM

Velvet Underground - Heroin
The Stooges - Gimme Danger
The Pixies - Bird dream of the olympus Mons
Wipers - So Young
The Doors - End of the Night
Nirvana - Do Re Mi
Sonic Youth - Catholic Block

off the top of my head.....

yumopal 07.05.2010 02:24 AM

umm forgot something
Throwing muses-hook in her head, hate my way

ann ashtray 07.05.2010 03:01 AM

Roxy Music - Mother of Pearl
Charles Manson - Look at yr Game Girl + Mechanical Man
Pere Ubu - Chinese Radiation
The Stooges - Gimmie Danger + Joanna + Sick of You
Johnny Thunders - Can't put yr Arms around a Memory
Iggy Pop - Low Life
Throbbing Gristle - Weeping
Nico - The End (Kills The Door's version)
Brian Eno - An Ending (Ascent)
Mudhoney - Burn it Clean
Hendrix - Peace in Mississippi + Angel
Led Zep - In My Time of Dying
Beck - Rowboat
Velvet Underground - Venus in Furs + Heroin
SOundgarden - 4th of July + Applebite
J. Coltrane - My Favorite Things
Skip James - Hard Time Killing Floor Blues + Crow Jane
Wipers - Over the Edge + This Time
Melvins - Honey Bucket
Scratch Acid - Crazy Dan
Nirvana - Negative Creep

Tons, tons, tons.

Newfoundland 07.08.2010 06:20 PM

Brian Eno - Spider and I

Some of the most perfect music I´ve ever heard.

Pax Americana 07.08.2010 08:47 PM

Void - Who Are You?

SONIC GAIL 07.09.2010 08:28 AM

Lungs: steve Earle