Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   (actual) world cup thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40145)

EVOLghost 06.27.2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
messi-tevez, what a play!

1-0

que la chupen!

wazzit really offside/???

uhhhh YEAH! dood was offside.

EVOLghost 06.27.2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

i'm putting my (monopoly) money on argentina, but you never know. to be frank, i have more faith in argentina being able to beat germany than mexico.

yer right but nothin' but Mexico love here.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

I am rooting for Mexico all the way, but its a sure long shot..

yeah...

and Mexico lost.....fuckin' idiot.

knox 06.27.2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

hot damn, klose equalizes pelé @ 12 goals

pelé skipped i think 1970 though, on advice of his witch doctor, ha ha ha (but back in those days games would often end 6-4)

edit: i checked, it was 1962 due to injury but i've seen a documentary that reported it was witch doctor advice that kept him out.

wtf witch doctor.
i wish i was in england right now.

jon boy 06.27.2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
wtf witch doctor.
i wish i was in england right now.

where the devil are you?

!@#$%! 06.27.2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
uhhhh YEAH! dood was offside.

i realized later, the header, but the ball was almost in and it was a fast play, confusing, and a tough call

that higuain goal left no doubt though. ouch!

salcido had a nice shot to the goalpost but mexico, apart from chicharito hernandez, isn't getting into the penalty area, and only marquez and salcido have the artillery to shoot from far, but they're defenders so they aren't always in the position to do that.

they almost started beating each other up on the way out. marquez better keep cool or he'll get thrown out.

barrera is in. ok here we go.

Lurker 06.27.2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Anyway, I'm supporting Holland now. Come on the Oranges.

As am I.

EVOLghost 06.27.2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

i realized later, the header, but the ball was almost in and it was a fast play, confusing, and a tough call

that higuain goal left no doubt though. ouch!

salcido had a nice shot to the goalpost but mexico, apart from chicharito hernandez, isn't getting into the penalty area, and only marquez and salcido have the artillery to shoot from far, but they're defenders so they aren't always in the position to do that.

they almost started beating each other up on the way out. marquez better keep cool or he'll get thrown out.

barrera is in. ok here we go.

Yeah I just turned off the game. fuck it. Salcido does have a mean leg. That first shot on goal was super nice. Hell even his second shot got me a little excited

!@#$%! 06.27.2010 02:59 PM

dude you just missed a great mexican goal by chicharito

EVOLghost 06.27.2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

yer fuckin' lyin'.

brb

jon boy 06.27.2010 03:30 PM

terry, gerard, upson, ferdinand (didnt play but still), lampard, green, barry, wright-philips should never put on an england jersey again. some of them wont anyway due to age but they where just terrible.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.27.2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

indeed. that was a highlight for Mexico, but seriously, where were they? I only saw the Mexican team show up for like 20 minutes and then their game was entirely broken by that bad goal. its crazy, they been disqualifying goals that were clearly legit as offsides, and then here the let a clearly offsides goal count. But Mexico could have rallied back but where was their defense?

Argentina will probably take it all the way to the Finals against Brasil BUT they better stick to good playing and ball control and ease up on all that ridiculous, theatrical flopping.. it won't win the Semi-Finals.

Go GHANA! "..seven miles of black star liners.."

!@#$%! 06.27.2010 03:56 PM

suchfriends-- the best team won, period. one on one, argentina has better players, and that carries weight even with tactical errors. the opportunities mexico created were wasted, whereas argentina took every opportunity & converted goals. argentina had mexico pinned down at the midfield so they could rarely make good plays.

hernandez was great but the only danger; and giovanni disappointed me again: he's smart, fast, and can elude the defense, but he doesn't have what it takes to score. mexico had hernandez, argentina had tevez and messi, no comparison there.

the game turned dull for me near the end so i started spacing out-- i had a long busy morning plus the first game, woke up too early, the AC is broken and i gotta get on the roof to fix it, and i felt a little sorry for mexico, so i can't speak about the last 15 minutes. probably nothing happened.

anyway--

argentina-germany should be awesome.

------

knoxter-- witch doctor, babalao, call it what you will, i swear that's what i remember, he told him not to play, but it was ages ago on tv, an ancient sports documentary, i think it could be this one:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4325...is_Reichenbach

not sure until i download but yeah.

knox 06.27.2010 04:33 PM

it does not sound like a real story, interesting.

Keeping It Simple 06.27.2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
terry, gerard, upson, ferdinand (didnt play but still), lampard, green, barry, wright-philips should never put on an england jersey again. some of them wont anyway due to age but they where just terrible.

If the England team was on performance-related pay, they'd be paupers.

demonrail666 06.27.2010 07:23 PM

EVOLghost 06.27.2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Argentina will probably take it all the way to the Finals against Brasil BUT they better stick to good playing and ball control and ease up on all that ridiculous, theatrical flopping.. it won't win the Semi-Finals.

Agreed. I always remember Argentina to be a diving team. I remember watching '02? world cup in Mexico with my cousins and they lost to Argentina the first round...

_slavo_ 06.27.2010 11:07 PM

pbradley 06.28.2010 02:16 AM

pokkeherrie 06.28.2010 07:17 AM

Commiserations to he England fans, that was painful to watch yesterday. Of course the game would've been a lot different had that equaliser goal been given, but even then it's obvious that Germany were much better. It's nice to see Germany play with flair (Ozil, Mueller) this tournament. I've read somewhere that they've been investing a lot in youth teams and (focussing more on technique) since Euro 2004. Kudos to them. Never again 1990, pleeeease! Germany v Argentina should be a cracker.

Arg-Mex: There was an interesting camera shot from the very top of the stadium right after the first Argentina goal. Normally the big screens in the stadium don't show incorrect referee decisions (FIFA censorship!), but last night they accidentally showed the replay of the first goal, including the offside line animation. You could see the Mexican players had returned to their positions for the kick-off after the goal and then they saw the replay on the big screen, including the offside line amimation. That's when they left their positions again and walk back to the linesman en masse to complain about the decision, closely followed by the Argentinians to complain the other way round.

I really think video-refereeing to some dgree needs to be introduced. Certainly not as much as in American football (kills the game), but maybe something like the Hawkeye-thing in tennis, where the managers could dispute a referee's claim 2-3 times a match. Or at least a camera on the goal-line. I understand the "human error charm factor", but the modern game is played so fast and the interests (Champions League is a multi-billion euro industry) are so high. FIFA needs to get with the times.

pokkeherrie 06.28.2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
you sure have a better team and your guys look in a much better shape than the sorry-ass primadonas from Italy.
I sense a good match.

Hopefully it'll be a good match, yes.

To be fair, it would be embarassing for the Dutch to go out against Slovakia, but I hope there's no underestimation sneaking into the squad. Too many people around me are already talking about "the quarterfinal vs Brazil". I don't like that at all.

There shouldn't be any reason for underestimation either. Slovakia knocked out the defending world champions and have nothing to lose this game, the Dutch haven't been that convincing so far in this tournament and during the last two tournaments (2006, 2008) Holland went out straight in the first knock-out game after cruising through the group phase, so I'm not entirely confident. Not to mention the referee is the same idiot who was also in charge of the Germany v Serbia game, so it's not unlikely that there will be plenty of silly yellow cards given out for nothing. Whoever progresses today, any suspensions will be very costly when you have to play Brazil (very likely) next.

pokkeherrie 06.28.2010 07:40 AM

In other words:

The tournament ends here, kokot!

;)

edit: Van der Vaart injured, so Kuyt moves to the left and Robben returns in the starting line-up, playing on the right. Will he shine or will he be limping off the pitch before the national anthems are even finished?

demonrail666 06.28.2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I really think video-refereeing to some dgree needs to be introduced. Certainly not as much as in American football (kills the game), but maybe something like the Hawkeye-thing in tennis, where the managers could dispute a referee's claim 2-3 times a match. Or at least a camera on the goal-line. I understand the "human error charm factor", but the modern game is played so fast and the interests (Champions League is a multi-billion euro industry) are so high. FIFA needs to get with the times.

I agree. FIFA has its head in the sand over this. Personally I think it should only be used to determine whether the ball crosses the goal-line. Fans like to debate wrong decisions but there's far too much at stake to stop goal-line technology just for that.

I'm not just saying that because of what happened to England - although it's fair to say that, while Germany were by-far the better team, had the first half ended 2-2, Germany would've certainly been the more cagey in the second half and England wouldn't have had to press in the way that they ended up having to. The better team won but that doesn't (necessarily) make it right. I suspect FIFA are just relieved that the England Germany game didn't end 2-1, making the referee's decision a tournament affecting one. As it is though, we can't have a crucial knockout game in the future being decided by something that could so easily be sorted out almost instantly.

pokkeherrie 06.28.2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

I'm not just saying that because of what happened to England - although it's fair to say that, while Germany were by-far the better team, had the first half ended 2-2, Germany would've certainly been the more cagey in the second half and England wouldn't have had to press in the way that they ended up having to.

Yes, that's what I meant. They wouldn't have been able to lean on the counter as much. Not to mention the psychological shock the Germans would have surely felt of being 2-0 ahead and then within a minute conceding 2 goals making it even again.

Mind, it was still bad tactics from England having 9 men in front of the ball during that free-kick that led-in the Germans counter-attacking to 3-1. You only take that many risks in the last 5-10 minutes, not when there's still half an hour to play.

What do you think Capello will/should do?

demonrail666 06.28.2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

What do you think Capello will/should do?

I think Capello will stay. England did great in the qualifiers and the players have proved themselves for their clubs. There's just something about the big national tournaments that makes them freeze. Although I've dismissed it in the past, maybe there is just too much pressure on England players. There's an irrational expectancy at the heart of England supporters. It's stuck in some mythical past with no real acknowledgement that the game has changed a lot since 1966. England fans see everything in black and white: either England are the best team in the world, or the worst. Most people are looking for a scapegoat and Capello's the obvious target - especially as he's foreign and therefore "doesn't understand the English way". God knows.

I'm starting to wonder how other nations' supporters think of their team? Is there the same pressure on Holland's players, for example?

pokkeherrie 06.28.2010 08:54 AM

^^I'll get back to you on that. Have to watch the game now. will edit in here.

I've just arranged to have the Friday afternoon off to watch the next game, so Holland better win this now. :rolleyes:

demonrail666 06.28.2010 10:01 AM

Things could be worse (from an England/Mexico/Slovakia/USA perspective, anyway)

_slavo_ 06.28.2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

In other words:

The tournament ends here, kokot!

Too bad Vittek didn't properly polish his shoes today (except for the penalty in the last seconds). We had our chances, but the Dutch were a tough cookie today. From now on, I hope for you guys to go far, because it's a pleasure to see Robben, Kuyt and Sneijder play.
I didn't like how some of our guys played today (especially Weiss, no.7, who is a very gifted and technically skilled guy, however he's too young and tends to hold on to the ball for too long), but there's room for improvement, as majority of our team memebers are under 25 yrs.

Brazil is not as strong as it used to be, you can sail through if you really try.

jon boy 06.28.2010 11:37 AM

In the jungle, the South African jungle, 3 lions sleep tonight, coz in the morning, the early morning, they have to catch a flight. No win away no win away no win away no win awa

demonrail666 06.28.2010 11:57 AM

Sorry to see Slovakia go out, although simply for beating Italy they're already tournament heroes.

Holland look so good going forward but I have to wonder about the opportunities they give the opposition. Although I thought Holland were the better team today, on another day, chances could've easily gone the other way and they'd be out. And yet, by not having to meet Germany, Spain, Portugal until earliest the final, they're avoiding all the most potent strike-forces. Brazil (assuming they beat Chile) will be far harder to break down than Slovakia but offer less of a threat up front than the teams they'll avoid.

chicka 06.28.2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

How you can leave Rooney off this list is shameful. As I've said I'm new to this game as far as knowing players and all I heard pre-tourney was Rooney
was one of the top 3 players in the world. Right now it's tie between him and the Italians for the most over-rated players in the field.

jon boy 06.28.2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka
How you can leave Rooney off this list is shameful. As I've said I'm new to this game as far as knowing players and all I heard pre-tourney was Rooney
was one of the top 3 players in the world. Right now it's tie between him and the Italians for the most over-rated players in the field.

i think that he has something more than any of those tired old men. he just didnt show any of it but looks like he can in the future where as the rest of them dont give a fuck.

chicka 06.28.2010 12:12 PM

As much as I like Argentina I think they are in serious trouble against Germany. Their goaltender sucks and the defense can get sloppy at times. Heinze played a great game yesterday saving a certain goal with his face.
I believe they're going to need to score at least 4 to get by Germany. I don't know how the bracket breakdown but the only team that has looked solid enough to me to win is Uraguay.

chicka 06.28.2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

i think that he has something more than any of those tired old men. he just didnt show any of it but looks like he can in the future where as the rest of them dont give a fuck.

ok I can buy that

!@#$%! 06.28.2010 12:13 PM

picard was awesome, can brazil hire the borg queen to even the odds?

demonrail666 06.28.2010 03:51 PM

I really thought Brazil were awesome tonight. Strong in every area. Maicon and Lucio at the back seem like immovable objects while Silva is running things from midfield.

Brazil v Holland is gonna be a great game but I think, even with Robben's return, that Holland will have to improve if they wanna get through that defence. Never mind the fact they seem capable of cutting teams open on the counter-attack, almost at will.

That was the most impressive team performance I think I've seen in this tournament so far.

Keeping It Simple 06.28.2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley

Tree murders baby in Central Park?!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.28.2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

suchfriends-- the best team won, period. one on one, argentina has better players, and that carries weight even with tactical errors. the opportunities mexico created were wasted, whereas argentina took every opportunity & converted goals. argentina had mexico pinned down at the midfield so they could rarely make good plays.

I it was never in doubt that Argentina would win, but Mexico wouldn't have been slaughtered outright had they played a bit stronger like they did the first 25 minutes and the last 15 minutes..

Quote:

Hopefully it'll be a good match, yes.

To be fair, it would be embarassing for the Dutch to go out against Slovakia, but I hope there's no underestimation sneaking into the squad.

that was such a Booooring first half, it got exciting in the second when the Slovakians finally showed up.
Quote:

Sorry to see Slovakia go out, although simply for beating Italy they're already tournament heroes.

exactly. thats why I was happy they at least got that goal in the 93rd minutes, they didn't deserve to go out scoreless after having so thoroughly humiliated Italia! Peace out Eurotrash teams, Germany is getting knocked out soon, and Spain will join them. I am so glad to see Europe go!

chicka 06.28.2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

I really thought Brazil were awesome tonight. Strong in every area. Maicon and Lucio at the back seem like immovable objects while Silva is running things from midfield.

Brazil v Holland is gonna be a great game but I think, even with Robben's return, that Holland will have to improve if they wanna get through that defence. Never mind the fact they seem capable of cutting teams open on the counter-attack, almost at will.

That was the most impressive team performance I think I've seen in this tournament so far.

I agree 100%. Especially the last statement. Definitely the most complete game by all players. I love the way they just kept attacking the Chileans even when they were in their own end. Too many other defenders (USA comes to mind) just keep backing up until the box.

gualbert 06.28.2010 06:26 PM

Shh..
What have you got against Europe, suchfriendsaredangerous?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.28.2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gualbert
Shh..
What have you got against Europe, suchfriendsaredangerous?

what don't I have against Europe ;)