Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

Severian 05.26.2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
hmm. Weird. When it came out I remember all my snobby indie-only friends giving Machina II a pass. Maybe it was the novelty of a band like SP giving away a free album (which of course sounds like no big deal in 2017). But I always thought Machina II was superior to Machina. And "Dross" was/is my favorite song on there. I always kind of thought it one of those SP songs that anyone/everyone would like. You shot a hole in that 17 year old theory. Oh well.

Told ya. I totally defy stuff :cool:

noisereductions 05.27.2017 09:23 AM

this just came in the mail.

fuck off I can't seem to get the image link to work. It's that Mike Kelley/Sonic Youth Plato's Cave CD.

johanno 06.23.2017 09:14 AM

Last 2 records I bought were Howling Hex's Denver and The Best of The Howling Hex. Neil Hagerty was selling them for £5 each at his Cafe Oto gig at the weekend.

Severian 06.23.2017 10:56 AM

Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory ...

Just ordered my physical copy and got a free MP3 download for my trouble. This is the one thing I love about Amazon, that they do this. It encourages people to buy physical copies because WHY THE FUCK NOT when you can get the CD/LP AND an immediate digital version for the same price as (or maybe $2-3 more than) buying the MP3 only via iTunes or something.

I haven't listened to the album yet, but I will in a few minutes. :)

Bytor Peltor 07.01.2017 09:27 PM

Moon Duo --- Occult Architecture Box

Severian 07.02.2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

Hey that's pretty fucking cool.

I kinda feel that Moon Duo has failed to develop much sonically over the last few albums. If at all. This is discouraging, because they had a lot of promise at one time. They're not making bad music. In fact, they always make pretty solidly good music, but I wish they would expand a bit.

Ditto for a lot of Sacred Bones artists actually. I was SO on board with that label a few years ago. I just thought they were going to be the next Sub-Pop or something, but aside from a few artists like Pharmakon, I'm not seeing a ton of boundary pushing or water testing coming from their brood.

They have a great goddam logo though.

Genteel Death 07.04.2017 08:33 AM

A bunch of 7'' singles.

The Fall - There's A Ghost in My House
Astral Social Club - Snaefell
Various - The World's Lousy With Ideas Vol. 1
Various - The World's Lousy With Ideas Vol. 4
The Nightingales - Paraffin Brain/Elvis the Last Ten Days
Psychedelic Horseshit - Who Let the Dogs Out?
Roxy Music - Over You
Titmachine - We Build a New City

Severian 07.04.2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
A bunch of 7'' singles.

The Fall - There's A Ghost in My House
Astral Social Club - Snaefell
Psychedelic Horseshit - Who Let the Dogs Out?
Roxy Music - Over You

Genteel Death 07.05.2017 07:15 AM

Free Kitten - Punks Suing Punks 7''
The Dead C - Relax Fallujah/Hell Has Come 7''
The Hunches - Lisa Told Me 7''
Bark Haze/ Our Love Will Destroy the World 7''
Royal Trux - The Radio Video 12''

Rob Instigator 07.21.2017 10:54 AM

Feedbacker self-titled EP on CD. Fucking AWESOME

and King of Sorrow - Bow to My Wrath white vinyl LP. Love it.

straight from Bulgaria.

noisereductions 08.03.2017 01:53 PM

I maybe finally found a pressed copy of Machina II from a shop in France via cdandlp.com - I haven't received a confirmation that it's shipped yet, so fingers crossed.

@Sev: to answer your question, "more than I'd like to admit."

_tunic_ 08.03.2017 02:10 PM

they're still selling it?
https://www.cdandlp.com/en/smashing-...-2/r116461444/

I've no clue (I actually never heard of this album, totally lost track of them after Mellon Collie), but is it a legit copy? 100+ euros plus shipping for a fake copy is a lot of money
the label info is different than on discogs or wikipedia, should be SR-004?

edit:
oh I found it:
https://www.discogs.com/The-Smashing...elease/4077123
or even
https://www.discogs.com/Smashing-Pum...elease/3453604

it's the unofficial version

noisereductions 08.03.2017 02:38 PM

^you're linking vinyl, dude. I'm talking about the pressed CD, which is way tougher to find.

And yeah, unofficial of course. There was no official CD release, just some promo CDR's.

Severian 08.03.2017 10:36 PM

Quote:

I maybe finally found a pressed copy of Machina II from a shop in France via cdandlp.com - I haven't received a confirmation that it's shipped yet, so fingers crossed.

@Sev: to answer your question, "more than I'd like to admit."

Hah!

d.sound 08.04.2017 06:31 AM

just bought jim o'rourke's steamroom 35 for bandcamp's transgender advocacy drive! tis dope.

noisereductions 08.04.2017 07:05 AM

got an email confirming that my Machina II is shipping. Very excited. The CD copies pop up so rarely (like, handful of times per year lately) so this crosses a big want off my list and means I can stop checking discogs and ebay nearly daily haha.

dirty bunny 08.17.2017 05:05 PM

The Killers' Hot Fuss

Severian 08.18.2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty bunny
The Killers' Hot Fuss

I got soul but I'm not a soldier.

noisereductions 08.18.2017 09:01 AM

Great album. Then the band went on a steady decline.

dirty bunny 08.18.2017 02:32 PM

@Severian

Good song! I like that one but I love Mr. Brightside.

@noisereductions

That's a shame, and they're broken up now!

Severian 08.18.2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

@Severian

Good song! I like that one but I love Mr. Brightside.

@noisereductions

That's a shame, and they're broken up now!

Killers have a few songs that really aren't terrible. A few of their more wistful, spacey tunes remind me of Bowie or something. And not just because of the Bowie quotes.

Like Coldplay, they had their moments.

The Soup Nazi 08.18.2017 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Like Coldplay, they had their moments.

ENEMIES OF ROCK & ROLL have no place in our board.

Severian 08.21.2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
ENEMIES OF ROCK & ROLL have no place in our board.

Dude. Rock & roll eats shit nowadays. Just completely eats shit from an ass buffet. Ridiculous.

The Soup Nazi 08.21.2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Dude. Rock & roll eats shit nowadays. Just completely eats shit from an ass buffet. Ridiculous.

It can certainly seem that way, but that's only if you make the huge mistake of discounting The Drones (including the new Liddiard/Kitschin side band, Tropical Fuck Storm), Wussy, No Age, Sleater-Kinney for Chrissakes... and Dry Wood Garage! Don't do it; otherwise you're voluntarily eating shit yourself, TINY.

Severian 08.22.2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

It can certainly seem that way, but that's only if you make the huge mistake of discounting The Drones (including the new Liddiard/Kitschin side band, Tropical Fuck Storm), Wussy, No Age, Sleater-Kinney for Chrissakes... and Dry Wood Garage! Don't do it; otherwise you're voluntarily eating shit yourself, TINY.

Hey, you know I like the Drones. We've been over this for fuck's sake. :mad:

And sure there are outliers.. I mean, Low is still alive and kicking, Wilco's out there as they will hopefully always be (the world just plain needs Wilco about once every three years) and there are other bands that do not suck. But of all the promising up and comers I've had an eye on over the last few years that have actuallly shown some sign of having staying power, many have just fizzled or disappeared. Then there's Car Seat Headrest, who any day now might go flaccid from the over-exposure.

I put tons of energy into spreading the word about Black Bug when they released their instant Fucking classic Reflecting the Light album in 2013, and then they broke up, and nobody knows anything about them. They're so unknown that when I tweet about them their label notices and likes it, and I don't even really use Twitter.

Dub Thompson had a hell of a debut album in 2014, bit they've fallen off the face of the earth.

Perfect Pussy showed some promise too, but what happened to them? After all the hype even... just *poof*

Talking about bands like Sleater-Kinney in this context doesn't really fit, because they've already had two freaking decades of great music. They've had their time. Yeah, they're back, and they released one of 2015's best albums, but I don't think they represent the face of modern rock & roll at all.

Instead there's... y'know... twentyonepilots. Fuck that shit.

noisereductions 08.25.2017 09:58 PM

I know you guys were losing sleep over this, so thought I'd update you. My Machina II bootleg arrived from France today and I'm pleased as punch. As I've mentioned it's been a holy grail for me for a while. And I got it at a considerably good price considering how rarely it pops up for sale, and the prices it tends to go for.

So here's the thing... it was still sealed. The one I got (there's a few variations) is a 2CD that includes the album proper, the 3 EP's, and then some various demos. It came in a beautiful digipak and I'm really impressed. This thing is in immaculate condition. Good things come to those who wait I guess.

Severian 08.26.2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

I know you guys were losing sleep over this, so thought I'd update you. My Machina II bootleg arrived from France today and I'm pleased as punch. As I've mentioned it's been a holy grail for me for a while. And I got it at a considerably good price considering how rarely it pops up for sale, and the prices it tends to go for.

So here's the thing... it was still sealed. The one I got (there's a few variations) is a 2CD that includes the album proper, the 3 EP's, and then some various demos. It came in a beautiful digipak and I'm really impressed. This thing is in immaculate condition. Good things come to those who wait I guess.

Buy 4:44.

Bytor Peltor 08.28.2017 06:37 PM

qualchan - Here, Tyrant Death

Raising Holy Sparks - Searching For The Vanished Heaven

East Of The Valley Blues - Rivereto de Konscio

Rootless - Sculptures Deep Within the Cave

dirty bunny 08.28.2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

I LOVE this quote. I keep re-reading it.

Severian 08.29.2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

I LOVE this quote. I keep re-reading it.

Hah. Thanks. Sometimes it's the dumbest things that are the most effective.

Severian 08.29.2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

Hey, random question here Bytor, but is that a microfiber blanket, or is it, like, a fabric wrap that you put on a surface just for photo backgrounds?

If it's a microfiber blanket, I have one exactly like it, and ahmahgaaad so nice and cozy. I hear the things are awful for marine wildlife, because the synthetic lint pulls off in the laundry and eventually flows into the oceans where it clogs the blowholes of whales and dolphins :( So I'll never buy another one, but... yeah. Comfy.

The Soup Nazi 08.30.2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Buy 4:44.

Buy 4'33".

Severian 08.30.2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Buy 4'33".

But I already have it. :)

Savage Clone 09.22.2017 03:23 PM

So does everyone with a stopwatch.

SonicSleuth 09.29.2017 08:46 PM

Protomartyr Relatives in Descent
Lee Ranaldo Electric Trim
Chad Vangaalen Light Information
Chad Vangaalen Infiniheart
Husker Du Savage Young Du (pre-order)

Drjohnrock 09.29.2017 09:32 PM

Tyvek--Origin Of What

With all due respect to Protomartyr, there are other bands from Detroit. I bought my copy of Origin Of What from main Tyvek guy Kevin Boyer after their set at Louisville's fine Cropped Out music festival last weekend. It's great that a band that's been around awhile can still sound so fresh. Good album.

Severian 09.29.2017 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
Tyvek--Origin Of What

With all due respect to Protomartyr, there are other bands from Detroit. I bought my copy of Origin Of What from main Tyvek guy Kevin Boyer after their set at Louisville's fine Cropped Out music festival last weekend. It's great that a band that's been around awhile can still sound so fresh. Good album.

I’m digging the new Protomartyr actually.

But the last album I bought was Ben Frost - “The Centre Cannot Hold.”

Drjohnrock 09.30.2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

I’m digging the new Protomartyr actually.

You probably already know this but Kevin Boyer was a member of Protomartyr for a time.

Protomartyr played my town recently. But as so often happens, it was a weeknight and I couldn't go due to work the next day.

The Soup Nazi 10.03.2017 05:00 PM

What is a protomartyr anyway?

Severian 10.03.2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

What is a protomartyr anyway?

Like... the martyr upon which all future martyrs are based? The “archetypal” martyr?