Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Velvet Underground thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13131)

Shifty Prophet 06.18.2009 12:38 PM

I'm certain its not the re-issue. The guy I know is deep into record collecting. He knows his shit. I believe he paid 200$ for it and didn't think twice about it.

radarmaker 06.18.2009 12:39 PM

In that case it's a hell of a find :)

Shifty Prophet 06.18.2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarmaker
In that case it's a hell of a find :)

It is to him at least. I take that back, it is to him and the throngs of uber-cool pussy that surround his palace.

automatic bzooty 06.18.2009 12:53 PM

ahaha, i love the proto-WH/WH intro: it's gonna knock you dead when it come upside yr head!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.18.2009 01:56 PM

relent and obverse and inverse and perverse and reverse the inverse of perverse and reverse and reverse and reverse and reverse and reverse and chop it and pluck it and cut it and spit it and sew it to joy on the edge of a cyclop and spinet it to rage on the edge of a cylindrical minute.

joe11121 06.18.2009 04:10 PM

This band never gets boring. All of their releases (that I have heard) have been superb. Fucking amazing band

Silver_Rocket 06.19.2009 05:47 AM

VU are amazing, i could talk forever about them but you probly heard it all before, they really inspired me to start playing guitar, and its odd how alot of the time i could be listening to a new band and listening to the album and be thinking "they were definetly inspired by VU" and then look it up on the net and find out they do claim to be inspired by them!

radarmaker 06.23.2009 12:58 PM

Box-set of 7 repro VU singles anyone? Including 2 that were never actually released in this form? Pretty neat if you don't want to spend a few hundred on scratched-up originals :)

http://www.sundazed.com/vuinfo.html

loubarret 06.23.2009 01:06 PM

That looks great, still need a lp player.

I simply adore the velvet underground

sarramkrop 07.08.2009 08:48 AM

White Light/White Heat: The Velvet Underground Story, in Pictures and Sound

The story of this legendary band, including film clips and little-heard recordings from throughout their career!

From 1965 to 1970, the Velvet Underground were instrumental in breaking new barriers in rock music in the controversial subjects their lyrics addressed and the experimental sounds they introduced into rock arrangements. Managed for a time by Andy Warhol, they bridged the worlds of cutting-edge art and popular music, paced by the penetrating songwriting of singer and guitarist Lou Reed.

Richie Unterberger's White Light/White Heat: The Velvet Underground Day-By-Day is by far the most comprehensive book on the Velvet Underground ever published. It details the group's recording sessions, record releases, concerts, press reviews, and other major events shaping their career with both thorough detail and critical insight. Drawing on about 100 interviews and exhaustive research through documents and recordings rarely or never accessed, it unearths stories that have seldom been told, and eyewitness accounts that have seldom seen print, from figures ranging from band members to managers, producers, record executives, journalists, concert
promoters, and fans. The July issue of Mojo magazine hails it as "an impressive means to reflect on the conundrum of what could be the ultimate cult band...detailed and anecdote-packed."

His presentation about the Velvet Underground at Comix will use rare audiovisual material to tell the story of this legendary band, including film clips; little-heard recordings from throughout their career; and pictures and posters of the group in their 1965-70 prime, many of them seldom seen.

AUTHOR BIO...
Richie Unterberger is the author of numerous acclaimed rock history books, including Unknown Legends of Rock'n'Roll and a two-volume history of 1960s folk-rock, Turn! Turn! Turn!/Eight Miles High. His book The Unreleased Beatles: Music and Film won a 2007 Association for Recorded Sound Collections Award for Excellence in Historical Recorded Sound Research. He lives in San Francisco.

9th August 2009
Comix
353 West 14th Street
Just East of 9th Avenue
New York, NY10014
http://www.comixny.com/event.aspx?eid=608

batreleaser 07.08.2009 12:43 PM

ive been obsessed with "the legendary guitar amp tapes", its just all these crazy distorted no wave versions of the classics as well as unreleased tracks. it sounds like what would have happened had warhol never taken them under his wing and they signed to esp or something.

sarramkrop 07.08.2009 01:33 PM

Ok, maybe that's a bit too extreme a concept, but those tapes are phenomenal regardless, so well done to you for getting obsessed with them.

Seandi 07.08.2009 02:15 PM

The guitar amp tape is probably the most primal vu noise, the third album is probably the best concept album ever, loaded is loaded with hits, white light/ white heat invented a whole new vocabulary for rock and roll, and the debut is the best album ever released.

automatic bzooty 07.08.2009 02:28 PM

i really should get ahold of the guitar amp tapes...

also, i'm starting to regret not getting the lou/cale/nico bataclan boot on vinyl the other day.

radarmaker 07.08.2009 07:04 PM

The "Guitar Amp tape" is second only to Dylan at the Free Trade Hall in my book of essential live bootlegs that anyone with ears should know and love. There has never been a greater Sister Ray.

Sonic Youth 37 07.08.2009 07:39 PM

The Mono Mix of VU and Nico sounds totally surreal. I love it.

Torn Curtain 07.10.2009 07:20 AM

Moe Tucker 2002-02-15(FLAC) Variety Playhouse - Atlanta, GA USA by sloansimpson

automatic bzooty 07.20.2009 10:11 PM

i see my library has put in an order for the day-by-day book. placing a hold nowww.

loubarret 07.22.2009 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarmaker
The "Guitar Amp tape" is second only to Dylan at the Free Trade Hall in my book of essential live bootlegs that anyone with ears should know and love. There has never been a greater Sister Ray.

Amen to that.

DanielCarlson 07.22.2009 08:51 AM

The Velvet Underground is one of my favorite bands and both VU&N and White Light/White Heat are among my favorite albums ever. The thing that was going on between Reed and Cale at the time, it was pure chemistry. When Cale left they directly got less interesting, even if Velvet Underground is a great album.

I've been looking for the Guitar Amp Tapes but can't seem to find them. :(