Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you playing? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28352)

Toilet & Bowels 07.28.2016 02:58 PM

You may find this weird but the combat in Dark Souls reminds me of Street Fighter, e.g. rock/paper/scissors, learning patterns and tells, looking for openings. And nice anf hefty impacrt when you land a blow. I'll be starting 3 soon. DS2 is only really worth playing for the DLC but DS1 is my favourite game of all time, I've played through like 25 times or something, doing different builds and challenge runs, also tried speed running a few times, but I don't have the discipline for it.
The Dark Souls series (+Demon's Souls and Bloodborne) kind of made me lose interest in most other games.

Rob Instigator 07.28.2016 03:38 PM

I am playing skyrim again, due to a red ring of death on my old xbox 360. I replaced it with an xbox 360 slim second hand and could not transfer my profiles properly.

sooo, instead of rollin around with a level 48 sneak-master archer, I am now a level 5 battle mage.

EVOLghost 07.29.2016 09:20 AM

Yo RobDawg. You gotta get on the Souls series. Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 are 360.

@T&B....yeah...The Souls series definitely have set the bar pretty fucking high when it comes to this kind of fantasy. Unfortunately I haven't been able to beat DS1 since my PS3's disc drive just stopped working one day. Either I hope to one day do something productive like swap the disc drive(if possible) or just mod the damn thing again to get DS1. DS1 is my friend's favorite(I got him into the souls series after I played DeSouls and raved about it constantly). He has yet to play it and suggests I just forget about DS2. It's a souls game, but it's not as good and that's probably because the director was working on Bloodbourne, which I have to buy still too. I've been focused too much on SF3 to really play anything else. I have very few hours to myself at home and when I do have alone time, I normally go to the bar to play SF3. Still though..DS3 gives me such a nostalgic feeling. I love how these souls games still play exactly the same. Having played only Demon Souls, I don't feel lost or like I need to learn very much. I was able to just jump in and die.

vulva 07.29.2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
My friend gave me a tip about improving in fighting games. He said, "After every win, ask yourself if you're proud of that, if you're not then clean up yer play". I take this advice seriously, because after a loss it can be easy to determine the reason why you lost(jumping too much, unsafe moves, no defense etc.). This is important against people of lower or equal skill level. Something else I've read is that, if you can't beat your opponent, make it as hard as possible for them to beat you. I use this a lot. And while it may look and seem like a lame playstyle, it's sometimes needed to get that win.

Nothing wrong with lame play imo. I was nicknamed dullva by a bunch of people since I would sit and wait for 90s if I had to back in SF4.

If you're playing SFV these days, btw, maybe we can try running some games. I'm living in the US right now so my connection might be okayish.

pepper_green 07.30.2016 02:24 AM

I was playing with yo mama's tittay's, but she is mad at me tonight. maybe next week i'll get to hit that pussy. tear it up like the red blooded American I am. so here I will preach the gospel about infidelity, but I don't worry about that because I fuck while I'm getting fucked. sinner degenerate sugary nice guy I am.

hey, I need pussy too and I will fuck your mother.

pepper_green 07.30.2016 06:02 AM

^^oh gawd

EVOLghost 08.03.2016 09:06 AM

Yes. Titties.

a baby in 1980 08.04.2016 12:33 AM

I find Mario Kart 8 to be very enjoyable.

Peterpuff 08.05.2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a baby in 1980
I find Mario Kart 8 to be very enjoyable.

Word

d.sound 08.09.2016 08:55 PM

i lost my 3ds for 4 months. when i found it i just couldn't get back into it. i was on possibly the next to last chapter on fire emblem awakening, and smack dab in the middle of majora's mask.

i'm also playing skyward sword for the first time since it came out. very solid game. it's probably one of the best zeldas, but there are so many great zeldas it get's lost.

thinking of playing resident evil revelations for 3ds next

i had been anticipating getting a nintendo nx when it comes out next year, but seeing as it's more than likely going to be not backwards compatible with wii u, and i don't own one, i might go ahead and just get a wii u instead. it's probably going to be less expensive when the nx drops. there are about 15 games for the u i want to play. i'm always down for soft modding.

vulva 08.17.2016 04:43 PM

EVOLghost, think I found you posting on r/kappa. We should play some sfv sometime. Or maybe not, idk.

EVOLghost 08.19.2016 01:47 PM

I'd be down to get some games in. An dyeah...I just recently started a reddit account and it's probably me. I haven't played since Guile....so I'm probably a bit rusty on my punishes. When are you usually on? I'm pretty sure I already have you on PSN too.

vulva 08.19.2016 08:42 PM

I'm usually on around 10pm most weekdays PST unless I have a concert or something. It'd be cool to run some sets.

d.sound 08.20.2016 06:33 PM

bought a wii u on a manic whim. its totally sweet. got mario kart 8, mario maker, mario 3d world, and pikmin 3.

pepper_green 08.20.2016 10:29 PM

I borrowed a wii for me and my daughter to play Brave. fun. in a Zelda kinda way.

Peterpuff 08.22.2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d.sound
bought a wii u on a manic whim. its totally sweet. got mario kart 8, mario maker, mario 3d world, and pikmin 3.

I purchased one solely for Mario Maker, and will never regret my decision. Absolute blast. I have also picked up MK8, which justified the purchase that much more. But Mario Maker is simply one of the best things ever!

d.sound 08.22.2016 10:04 AM

i was surprised by mario maker. i thought i wouldn't be into designing levels, and that i would just be playing other peoples levels online. i discovered the opposite though.

i had heard repeatedly that mario kart 8 was hands down the best iteration. it took about 30 seconds of playing to agree.

just for one game though? mario maker was the #1 reason to get the wii u for me too. it's looking like that wasn't going to be playable on the NX, so i decided not to wait for that instead. there are only a grand total of 7 games that i'm really all that interested in playing for the u, and i thought that seemed a little hard to justify. (maker, kart, 3d world, splatoon, yoshi, pikmin, new mario/luigi u.... oh and probably breath of wild when it comes out unless i figure out a magic way to afford an nx.)

_slavo_ 08.25.2016 07:10 AM

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

shit so far

EVOLghost 08.31.2016 03:03 PM

https://clips.twitch.tv/leveluplive/...AardvarkFunRun

vulva this you?

vulva 09.07.2016 02:51 AM

yeah, I had a brain fart and dropped the combo. Also Valle is much better than me!

EVOLghost 09.07.2016 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulva
yeah, I had a brain fart and dropped the combo. Also Valle is much better than me!

Ohhh. I'm not making fun of your play or anything. You were doing alright imo, especially against Valle. But I just saw the tag and wondered if it was you.

Rob Instigator 09.07.2016 10:30 AM

no one here is playing No Man's Sky? I have not

EVOLghost 09.07.2016 12:34 PM

Nah.

vulva 09.07.2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Ohhh. I'm not making fun of your play or anything. You were doing alright imo, especially against Valle. But I just saw the tag and wondered if it was you.

haha thanks, yeah he knows the matchup really well too. That said, I think I could do well against him if I learned the Rashid match some more.

Peterpuff 09.09.2016 10:25 AM

Revisited an old flame this month, her name is World of Warcraft. Her newest expansion is amazing. She may just have me by the balls again...

EVOLghost 09.09.2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Revisited an old flame this month, her name is World of Warcraft. Her newest expansion is amazing. She may just have me by the balls again...

I just read about it. I was debating whether or not I should try to get my old account. I let my friend use it to play with his girlfriend at the time. Haven't played that in since WotLK

d.sound 09.09.2016 03:01 PM

i'm almost finished with mario 3d world for wii u. i don't know why it has a bad rap online. it's a great game. it perfects beyond mario 3d land. it combines elements that made all the platformers great. the cat suit is surprisingly fun. the toad tracker levels are cool and i'll probably get the full captain toad game.

noisereductions 09.18.2016 04:24 PM

Oculus Rift.

Rob Instigator 09.20.2016 09:20 AM

My brother gave me Far Cry 3. about 3 hours into it and am digging it.

EVOLghost 09.20.2016 12:49 PM

This weekend I was in Cincinnati for a fighting game tournament. Man...that shit was so cool. It was really small for a tournament and mainly midwest folk, but a few people from the East Coast were here. And the well known Exodus(AMAZING SF3 player) flew into Chicago to ride with the Chicago 3s crew. I did ok in the tournament, I ended up losing to a character which is my demon(Makoto) and had to play a friend of mine in the losers side of the bracket. I shouldn't have lost that match, but I did. It was close, but when the match becomes a war of attrition, I tend to become impatient and fuck up. Exodus ended up winning without any problem, and throughout the weekend he was giving me A LOT of tips. He's been playing for 15 years, so this guy has just about seen it all. And my friend Miguel took 2nd in Super Turbo. He's like the best Chun Li in the midwest no doubt. That match was insane. he reset the brackets and lost in the very last round....and that last round was TOO fucking crazy. Here's the match.
But seriously, this tournament was pretty awesome. Small turnout but the venue was insane! It was in an abandoned mall! There were literally 3 businesses, a Kohl's, some gym thing for kids, and a single Japanese restaurant in the food court...oh I forgot, and an actual arcade. Anyways....there were Japanese cabinets in the center plaza and the food court and I got SO many games in it was insane. Played a shit ton of SF2, SF3, CVS2, Tetris GM, and also WINDJAMMERS!

Rob Instigator 09.20.2016 02:11 PM

AWESOME

In Houston there is a video game and pinball supply place called Joystix, thjat, I think two fridays a month, opens up their warehouse display area for anyone to play games and pinball for $15, all you can play. There is a bar in front and everything. They have awesome modern games and bad-ass old ones, ALL the old ones. I went nuts on 720, excitebike, Nascar racing (the sit down one with 4 tied together so you can race your friends), and a shit ton more.

EVOLghost 09.20.2016 02:35 PM

That's awesome. I fucking love arcades. I never knew pinball had such an insane following until I started frequenting a certain barcade. I mean...I'm not really that surprised but yeah. They have like tournaments and leagues and stuff. And they recently got this cool looking machines called Hercules, it's fucking HUUUGE! But yeah...I made friends with this dood and he explained to me the pinball scene. When entering a tournament scene it's pretty hardcore. Every machine is different in so many ways besides the bumpers n stuff. The flippers matter a lot too, so you need to practice quite a bit with EVERY SINGLE MACHINE! Since that day, I have so much more respect for the pinball heads.

Yeah man...I'm so glad I live here. In a town nearby, there's this arcade called Galloping Ghost. I think I read on an article that it's one of the largest in the US, if not the largest. Anyways...they literally have like 500+ machines. Any classic arcade game you can think of, they have it. All the machines are set to Free Play and all they do is charge $15 at the door and you can play anything ALL DAY(you can re enter as you please as long as you have your receipt for that day). This place is literally like an arcade museum. Then there's like 8 different barcades around Chicago it's nuts!

Rob Instigator 09.20.2016 02:49 PM

Awesome.

d.sound 09.25.2016 11:59 AM

finally finished skyward sword. it had it's good parts and bad parts, but i've been looking forward to starting something new, namely gta5. i also started luigi's mansion: dark moon, and i've been mario kart 8ing on the daily since i got my wii u.

EVOLghost 09.26.2016 12:11 PM

I'm gonna go to the arcade tonight. We have a visitor from the UK and he's looking to get some games in on some SF3. w00t.

d.sound 10.23.2016 08:24 PM

nintendo switch hype? i love nintendo so i'll eventually get it. i'll probably wait at least a year though so it comes down in price and there are more games to choose from. i don't how portable it looks. seems kinda big to put in your pocket/purse.

EVOLghost 10.25.2016 02:22 PM

Looks neat, but it doesn't seem very 'next gen' other than it's portability. It looks like it'll be lacking hardware-wise. I don't have many opinions because I haven't owned a Nintendo since Gamecube and that was shortlived(only had it for Smash Bros). I wanted to buy a WiiU, but I barely spend any time on my current consoles(ps3/4) and when I do it's all spent on one game(3s). So yeah....hopefully my friend gets it so I can just borrow it if any MUST PLAY games are released.

!@#$%! 11.07.2016 04:33 PM

YO, PLAYAZ

i'm getting a new ssd to upgrade this old macbook pro i just got (it's still a beast by my standards). will obviously run OSX for work but planning to dualboot Windoze so that i can play games again.

what's a good partition size for windows? don't need to keep 40 games in it. just maybe 2 or 3 "big" ones. i might get a steam subscription and see what they have.

any thoughts? recommendations? ideas?

thanks.

EVOLghost 11.08.2016 12:14 AM

What size you getting? I don't play PC games at all....so if I had to guess maybe 60g?

!@#$%! 11.08.2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

What size you getting? I don't play PC games at all....so if I had to guess maybe 60g?

ah... PC games is all i play lol. also a bit of ipad lately but not much.

the disk is "only" 750GB. best bang for the buck at 4.4gigs per dollar ($170, free shipping).

a 2TB SSD is $500 and it comes up at only 4gigs/$-- maybe not much difference but still it's 500 bucks lol. so 750 is the sweet spot right now.

i'm also upgrading to 16GB ram (comes with only 4), so i gotta balance the budget.

later i can swap the DVD for another SSD, maybe a 2TB for data + portable video editing once prices come down or i find a project that covers it.

60GB enough? wow. hasn't changed much since times of yore. OSX has actually shrunk in size if i'm not wrong. win10 the same?

guess i'll have plenty. thanks.