Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Mighty Football Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15453)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.08.2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
great. you'll have all teh BIG MEN you want

So long as they're trying to catch a pass threaded between bigger men I'm down ;)

!@#$%! 09.08.2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
So long as they're trying to catch a pass threaded between bigger men I'm down ;)

on second thought, why disturb other people and interrupt their conversations when trying to offend your prudery and nobody else's.

when you get like this you're best ignored.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.08.2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

on second thought, why disturb other people and interrupt their conversations when trying to offend your prudery and nobody else's.

when you get like this you're best ignored.

I told you, I may be chaste but I'm surely no prude, after all, I'm still friends with Rob aren't I ;)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.08.2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=368"]you're best ignored.[/url]

You're empty threats don't scare me, indeed I'd celebrate with a brew and hardy "hoora!" if you actually followed through sometime ;)

demonrail666 09.09.2014 05:04 AM

Quote:

Also, demonrail, did you not notice the Dolphins not only gave the Patriots their first Game 1 loss in ELEVEN years BUT also thoroughly DOMINATED them finishing not merel 33-10, but outscoring Patriots 23-0 in the second half??

How are you not even mentioning this as a sort-of-Dolphins fan? Shit, I hate those damned arrogant fucks Patriots so much that I'm celebrating the shit out of it and I'm not even remotely a Dolphins fan!

Haha. I didn't see the game but I did see the score. The Dolphins are more just a team I follow very distantly than one that I really support. I don't know much about them at all now compared with when I first got into them in the 80s during the Shula/Marino era, before kind of losing contact with the game altogether in the mid 90s. I watch games whenever I'm in the US, either at friends' homes or in sports bars,, which for a while actually got me liking college football maybe even more than the NFL, but that really is almost impossible to follow here, so NFL it is - but it'll take time to really start caring about it again. I'll need to refamiliarise myself with the new players and the new team names. (That bit drives me nuts, I mean who the fuck are the Carolina Panthers? They didn't even exist when I was watching it. And where have the Oilers gone?) You talk about the arrogant Patriots but that's obviously something that developed after I originally stopped watching it, so I'm also gonna have to get a grip on who the teams to hate are now. In the Prem it's easy, unless you support Man U, you hate them, just because they're Man U. Schadenfreude is a massive part of enjoying football for me but it'll take time before I can get it from the NFL. Who's worth hating in the NFL right now?

!@#$%! 09.09.2014 01:45 PM

buffon in balotelli out

still a 3-5-2

WWCD??

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.09.2014 02:12 PM

Demonrail.. as we mentioned before with the NFL salary cap destroying team continuity, don't even bother trying to refamiliarize yourself with names and rosters, I've been following the NFL for years and I can't even name the entire roster for my own Baltimore Ravens or my bromance team the Atlanta Falcons because simply put, they cut guys too often and change things up! I don't even try! I just watch the games, read the recaps, and if a particular player or name catches fire, then I take notice then.

After all, for example, during our Superbowl Run I got really into the Ravens' roster, you know what happened? ALL THE GUYS I LIKED MOVED ON IN FREE AGENCY THE NEXT YEAR. Literally, ALL OF THEM! Cary Williams, Paul Kruger,Danelle Ellerbe, Correy Graham.. my favorite legendary Patriot killer Bernard Pollard, we even let Ravens' HOF legend Ed Reed go!!!

Shit. So don't even waste your time, NFL rosters are too fluid to bother with following

!@#$%! 09.09.2014 03:38 PM

italy dominated from the start but didn't strain themselves and kept it a comfortable 2-0 (zaza + bonucci).

zaza was great but a bit unlucky-- scored the first goal for italy (his first international goal as well) but he missed 2 fantastic chances in the 2nd half (one hit the goalpost, another was saved by a norwegian defender from the goal line after zaza chipped it in). good striker instincts though.

very nice, signor conte, very nice…

(on yet-better news, i heard he convinced pirlo to return… which he has… pirlo is nursing a hip injury but should return next month.)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.09.2014 03:58 PM

I didn't get to watch, but what the fuck happened to the Oranges?? Did they just mail it in since as folks have mentioned, the new Euro qualifiers are a bit of a cakewalk?

_tunic_ 09.09.2014 04:28 PM

demonrail666 09.09.2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

italy dominated from the start but didn't strain themselves and kept it a comfortable 2-0 (zaza + bonucci).

zaza was great but a bit unlucky-- scored the first goal for italy (his first international goal as well) but he missed 2 fantastic chances in the 2nd half (one hit the goalpost, another was saved by a norwegian defender from the goal line after zaza chipped it in). good striker instincts though.

very nice, signor conte, very nice…

(on yet-better news, i heard he convinced pirlo to return… which he has… pirlo is nursing a hip injury but should return next month.)

Yeah, I watched it too. Zaza really impressed me. Good win against a not shit Norway team. I really rate Conte. There were too many players out with suspensions or injuries tonight to know exactly what he's gonna do, but he created a 3-5-2 at Juventus that was nigh on impenetrable so you'd expect something similar for Italy. I liked Prandelli but Italy rarely felt like 'Italy' for me while he was in charge. Formation wise Conte's still a way from a traditional Italian defence but going on what he did at Juve, no less effective.

!@#$%! 09.09.2014 06:06 PM

speaking of conte, and juve, pirlo, and all that, i wonder how it's going at juventus with allegri as coach--pretty awkward i bet. i need to catch one of their games-- oh, CL starts next week!!!

demonrail666 09.09.2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Demonrail.. as we mentioned before with the NFL salary cap destroying team continuity, don't even bother trying to refamiliarize yourself with names and rosters, I've been following the NFL for years and I can't even name the entire roster for my own Baltimore Ravens or my bromance team the Atlanta Falcons because simply put, they cut guys too often and change things up! I don't even try! I just watch the games, read the recaps, and if a particular player or name catches fire, then I take notice then.

After all, for example, during our Superbowl Run I got really into the Ravens' roster, you know what happened? ALL THE GUYS I LIKED MOVED ON IN FREE AGENCY THE NEXT YEAR. Literally, ALL OF THEM! Cary Williams, Paul Kruger,Danelle Ellerbe, Correy Graham.. my favorite legendary Patriot killer Bernard Pollard, we even let Ravens' HOF legend Ed Reed go!!!

Shit. So don't even waste your time, NFL rosters are too fluid to bother with following

That hasn't changed much from when I first watched it then. There were a few Dolphins players I knew, Marino, obviously, Mark Clayton, maybe a couple of others, but most of them were anonymous or gone before I really got to know who they were. Football has a similar problem but there it's about all but the very richest teams constantly having to rebuild as clubs higher up the financial pecking order buy up the best players from teams beneath them.

demonrail666 09.09.2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

speaking of conte, and juve, pirlo, and all that, i wonder how it's going at juventus with allegri as coach--pretty awkward i bet. i need to catch one of their games-- oh, CL starts next week!!!

They won their first game. I didn't see it but reviews said he kept loosely to Conte's previous set up but everyone assumes he'll revert them to a 4-4-2 before long. Allegri's biggest problem will be trying to follow Conte's success.

!@#$%! 09.09.2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
They won their first game. I didn't see it but reviews said he kept loosely to Conte's previous set up but everyone assumes he'll revert them to a 4-4-2 before long. Allegri's biggest problem will be trying to follow Conte's success.

of course, but given how pirlo left milan to flee allegri's bench… ha ha ha… reportedly they patched things up a couple of months ago, but still… and then conte re-recruits pirlo for italy...

i smell renaissance-level intrigue!

(sforza had the better afro!)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.09.2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

That hasn't changed much from when I first watched it then. There were a few Dolphins players I knew, Marino, obviously, Mark Clayton, maybe a couple of others, but most of them were anonymous or gone before I really got to know who they were. Football has a similar problem but there it's about all but the very richest teams constantly having to rebuild as clubs higher up the financial pecking order buy up the best players from teams beneath them.

Thats why i prefer international futbol to league futbol, national teams want to field the best rosters so its easier for me to keep track of who is who and where.. also why nba is my favorite sport, teams also have a bit more continuity and even if rosters change its only 12 players per team and around 400 total in the entire league so not only can I know my own teams rosters but also several other teams concurrently. So no one can tell me how the Netherlands lost today?

_tunic_ 09.09.2014 11:30 PM

I already did :)

demonrail666 09.10.2014 03:51 AM

Quote:

of course, but given how pirlo left milan to flee allegri's bench… ha ha ha… reportedly they patched things up a couple of months ago, but still… and then conte re-recruits pirlo for italy...

i smell renaissance-level intrigue!

(sforza had the better afro!)

Oh, I didn't know about all that. Pirlo's probably too old to make another move now and Allegri couldn't afford to alienate fans by letting him go out on loan or anything, anyway, so they're probably just stuck with each other till Pirlo's contract expires. Like you say, awkward.

AOB: Was just checking the zonalmarking site for something and saw this ...

If it wasn’t obvious, ZM is now on a summer break…which might extend past the summer, and into 2014/15…so no season previews, tips for outright betting on the EPL, transfer analysis or analysis of new managers.

The site will return at some point with a different focus – fewer post-match analysis pieces, and more sporadic posts looking at long-term tactical trends, focusing on players, managers and teams – that kind of thing – which seems more popular.

Obviously doing both would be ideal, but time constraints mean that’s not really possible. The WC2014 match analysis might be the end of the old-style site, and from now it might become more of a traditional blog (which, in truth, was the intention at the start). Stay tuned!

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/07/28/zm-break/

Hope it does come back and, if it does, that the changes aren't too radical.

!@#$%! 09.10.2014 06:40 AM

^^ I read that and it was a huge disappointment.

Maybe he'll do that kind of analysis for his paid work so one still can find it.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.10.2014 02:16 PM

Dude I know, !@$&#! got me hooked on zonalmarking cuz I had been reading michael cox on espnfc for years and I was totally let down to see they arent going to have indepth post match analyses I mean without it whats even the point?

demonrail666 09.11.2014 05:55 PM

'When you enjoy what you do, you don't lose your hair, and Guardiola is bald.' - Jose Mourinho

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ly-claims.html

TheMadcapLaughs 09.11.2014 07:29 PM

'When you enjoy what you do, you don't lose your hair, and Guardiola is bald.' - Jose Mourinho

haha. what a dick! what a funny dick !

!@#$%! 09.11.2014 11:28 PM

haaa haaa haaa haaaa

well, that's nothing that can't be settled with a bayern-chelsea CL final…

…right?

naaaaahhhhh…. with some luck, it will go on forever

demonrail666 09.12.2014 04:37 AM

Quote:

haaa haaa haaa haaaa

well, that's nothing that can't be settled with a bayern-chelsea CL final…

…right?

naaaaahhhhh…. with some luck, it will go on forever

That'd be a dream, although Pep would probably have a nervous breakdown if it happened. They seem as opposed personality wise as they are tactically. Mourinho picks his targets well. In the Prem he never criticised Fergie, but went for Wenger instead. It'll be interesting to see if Liverpool remain a threat whether he starts to target Rodgers too. That'd be a fascinating battle between two egos of about equal size but completely different in nature.

_tunic_ 09.12.2014 06:04 AM

in case anyone is still wondering why the Dutch lost, this might have been the reason:

The Czechs pissed off Sneijder by teaming him up with a ballboy that was taller than him. So he had to stand beside him instead otherwise he would not be seen :D

(source)

!@#$%! 09.12.2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

haaa haaaa haaa haaaaa

damn, hilarious photos this morning!

thank you

demonrail666 09.12.2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

haaa haaaa haaa haaaaa

damn, hilarious photos this morning!

thank you

Just for you ...

!@#$%! 09.12.2014 11:43 AM

ha ha ha ha

this is an older photo (he still had hair on his forehead)

but i think it's the expression on brendan rogers's face that wins all

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.13.2014 12:03 AM

Watched the end of the sounders real.salt.lake match, actually pretty exciting finish. Rose scored the.game.winner at 93:48 left and it was a beauty. Surprisingly the 3 MLS matches Ive seen the past 3 weeks were all worth watching

demonrail666 09.13.2014 05:46 AM

Quote:

i prefer international futbol

I hate it right now cos it's brought havoc to my fantasy football team.

!@#$%! 09.13.2014 11:36 AM

bayern 2 stuttgart 0

bayern had something like 80% possession, and overwhelmed everywhere, but had difficulty increasing their 1-0 difference for most of the match.

eventually it was nice to see ribéry come in and play for the first time in the season and score soon after. 2-0.

man city is going to be another story come wednesday though.

xabi alonso excellent. i take it aaaaaaaaaaaall back. seriously, fantastic replacement for schweinsteiger who is still on the mend. his passes are impeccable.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.13.2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

I hate it right now cos it's brought havoc to my fantasy football team.

Just more reasons why I dont play fantasy

demonrail666 09.13.2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

man city is going to be another story come wednesday though.

Man City look OK but they haven't quite clicked yet so now would probably be a good time to play them. If I was a Schalke fan, I'd be worried about meeting Chelsea atm. Costa looks like an absolute goal-machine. Today he got the perfect hat trick: right foot; left foot; header. If he can stay fit Chelsea might've finally found their replacement for Drogba.

!@#$%! 09.13.2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Man City look OK but they haven't quite clicked yet so now would probably be a good time to play them. If I was a Schalke fan, I'd be worried about meeting Chelsea atm. Costa looks like an absolute goal-machine. Today he got the perfect hat trick: right foot; left foot; header. If he can stay fit Chelsea might've finally found their replacement for Drogba.

heard that man city will play arsenal this weekend which is good for bayern i suppose.

i was too tired to stay down for the schalke game (it's over now, they got beaten by monchengladbach 4-1) but yes… they have plenty to worry about ha ha ha. [***edited out due to shit sources***]

dotrmund's game vs. freiburg wasn't aired but they apparently won easy (3-1) and face arsenal on wednesday! i want to see that more than bayern vs. moscow. haven't been able to catch a dortmund yet and kagawa is back and immobile is doing great-- though reus and others are out injured

and now for the laughs:

poor kloppo! sad sad face.

good article where that photo came from:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/edi...ic-injury-woes

_tunic_ 09.14.2014 06:22 AM

i'm sure y'all have one of these already

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.14.2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

No, it s bloody.brilliant and I want one

demonrail666 09.14.2014 06:41 PM

Di Maria's first game for Man Utd today, and he looked awesome. Falcao came on from the bench and should've scored but Di Maria looked like everything I'm kept being told Ozil is, but never seems to be.

To be fair, this is based solely on one game, at Old Trafford, against QPR.

demonrail666 09.14.2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

No, but it's gone straight to the top of my list to Santa

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.14.2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

No, but it's gone straight to the top of my list to Santa

Saint Nicholas may just be a Suarez fan, unless Luis turns out to be a rogue AND a heretic like poor Arius up there ;)

demonrail666 09.14.2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

xabi alonso excellent. i take it aaaaaaaaaaaall back. seriously, fantastic replacement for schweinsteiger who is still on the mend. his passes are impeccable.

Just finished listening to a podcast that spent ages talking about him in that game. Praising him to the hilt. And some interesting backstory to his transfer. Originally, Pep wanted Xavi but he turned it down cos he didn't want to play for a club that might potentially face Barcelona in the CL, so went for Xabi as a second choice. Xabi was sold by the owner behind Ancelotti's back, who's apparently still livid about it.