Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Metallica (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11440)

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 06:27 AM

Been listening to Death Magnetic again lately. No bullshit, such a great album. Amazing band.

chrome noise tape 02.24.2010 06:48 AM

the only i care about this band.

SONIC GAIL 02.24.2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Been listening to Death Magnetic again lately. No bullshit, such a great album. Amazing band.

Me too! I for some reason have picked it up again and have been obsessing. It is one of thier greatest ever. It is not the same as they were, but they have grown up so much in a musical sense. "The day that never ends" A masterpiece. The guitars mirror the lyrics message it is phenominal.

That album got alot of negative hype when it was released because of the production. I still don't know whaT they're problem was. Rick Rubin is genius.

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 09:22 AM

Oh, people bitched it was produced "too loud"... okay, turn the volume down then.. hmph.

SONIC GAIL 02.24.2010 09:23 AM

THats what I said! I mean it's fucking metallica it is supposed to be loud pussies

Rob Instigator 02.24.2010 09:38 AM

fight fire with fire

hope they play that when they get inducte into the RnR hal of fame this year

SONIC GAIL 02.24.2010 09:45 AM

yeah thats a good one. I had a crush a Lars when I was 13

atsonicpark 07.04.2010 06:18 PM

I just don't know how anyone into music could possibly hate Metallica. Just listen to the first minute of "Battery", one of the most amazing pieces of music ever produced! "Orion" is one of the few songs that makes me want to cry! Amazing band.

Count Mecha 07.04.2010 07:21 PM

I have four friends that have an ongoing debate that's been lasting for several years now about who's better: Metallica or Megadeth. Three of them have been hardcore Metallica fans for who knows how many years now, and the other guy is the lone champion for Megadeth.

The arguments get super heated sometimes with the lone Megadeth fan getting visibly angry sometimes when they dig real hard on Mustaine. No aspect of the argument goes untouched. Who writes the better solos, song length, evolution of discography, which has the individual best record, which has the worst, personal shit both bands have done that have hurt their cred, the number of solos in Hangar 18, the bass solo in Orion, the lack of solos on the entirety of St. Anger. The frying pan. How the only reason Kill Em All is any good is because Mustaine wrote a bunch of the tracks or whatever. And a ton of other stuff.

I rarely add anything to it since I think both bands are equally among the most worthless bands ever. But I always give Metallica points for the Some Kind of Monster documentary. It had to of taken serious guts to put out something to show how vunerable, moronic, shitty, and short sighted all of those guys are.

But I love the argument, they really go at it.

Murmer99 07.04.2010 07:30 PM

Ride the Lightning is fuckin great.

btw, i don't pay attention to what metallica fans or metallica "bashers" think. i just respect the band. and the first 3 albums are fantastic.

atsonicpark 07.04.2010 07:49 PM

I'd say Metallica are definitely one of my favorite bands ever, up there with Beefheart and Boredoms and Autechre and John Fahey and Sun City Girls, etc.

jennthebenn 07.04.2010 08:01 PM

Here's the Metallica/Megadeth argument distilled:

Classic albums by Metallica: Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets,
And Justice For All

Classic albums by Megadeth: Rust in Peace

So it's not really close to me at all.

krastian 07.04.2010 08:06 PM

I never got into Megadeath.....at all.

Can't say I was ever a huge Metallica fan either.

Respect and all, but meh. I think it's Hetfield's voice that turns me off.

atsonicpark 07.04.2010 08:12 PM

Listen to the instrumentals then ;)

krastian 07.04.2010 08:18 PM

Oh totally.....that part is great.

Murmer99 07.04.2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
I never got into Megadeath.....at all.

Can't say I was ever a huge Metallica fan either.

Respect and all, but meh. I think it's Hetfield's voice that turns me off.

same here. i have never been able to get into Megadeth at all not even Rust in Peace. I despise dave mustaine as well so there is nothing about that band that i like.

I'm not the biggest Metallica fan but i do respect them. the only albums i really love are master of puppets and ride the lightning. Death Magnetic did surprise me a little bit. it isn't that bad. i hate the day that never comes though.

Satan 07.05.2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

The other day at work, they played master of puppets in its entirety over the radio, and I was like... holy fuck, I still love this album. Say what you want about their later output but man... those first albums are still great. Anyone else with me?

don't you work at walmart? what the fuck are they doing playing metallica in walmart? i don't ever remember being in walmart and hearing music, just screaming kids and some bumpkin telling her husband "YEW DONT NEED ANOTHER BEER HAYUT"

love metallica. love megadeth. LOVE METAL.

SuperCreep 07.05.2010 01:14 AM

slayer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

atsonicpark 07.05.2010 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
don't you work at walmart? what the fuck are they doing playing metallica in walmart? i don't ever remember being in walmart and hearing music, just screaming kids and some bumpkin telling her husband "YEW DONT NEED ANOTHER BEER HAYUT"

love metallica. love megadeth. LOVE METAL.

They don't play any music anymore, because a customer complained. 3 years ago, however...

shabbray2.0 07.05.2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Oh, people bitched it was produced "too loud"... okay, turn the volume down then.. hmph.

you know that this isnt the solution....