Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

viewtiful alan redux 07.10.2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
WTF???

Yeah it just came out a few weeks ago... it wasn't promoted at all though, and really wasn't stocked at major retailers. The only reason I knew about it was because it got advertised on the official wu facebook pages.

noisereductions 07.10.2010 11:23 PM

yeah I checked it out. Looks pretty awesome. I have The Sting and The Swarm obviously. I have the great majority of Wu releases. You know that. :)

Torn Curtain 07.11.2010 05:18 AM

DVD:

To scrap my MP3 copies:

Derek 07.11.2010 02:12 PM

lp:
the incredible string band - the hangman's beautiful daughter
sonic youth - evol

cd:
lau nau - nuukuu
drunkdriver - self-titled
john frusciante - dc ep

a-p a. niemi 07.13.2010 02:20 AM

Tape:
Henrik Rylander: Sluggish Detonations
Joachim Nordwall: The Skull Transmitter

CD:
The Skull Defekts: Rotating Feedback & Save the Skulls

viewtiful alan redux 07.15.2010 02:27 PM

180 Gram Vinyl:

Dlx Edition:

viewtiful alan redux 07.15.2010 02:35 PM

Its easily the most challenging album you're gonna find on sale at Target for quite some time.
In all seriousness, I intend to give it an intensive listen on my headphones soon.

Derek 07.15.2010 03:12 PM

Alan, I wanna see a picture of your hip hop collection.

You too noisereductions.

noisereductions 07.15.2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek

You too noisereductions.

no problem:

The Earl Of Slander 07.15.2010 08:30 PM

Vinyl:

CD:

2 quid each. Couldn't really pass it up.

noisereductions 07.15.2010 08:46 PM

^that natural selection comp is nice. Nature Sounds is such a cool label. I wish they had kind of blown up a bit more though. They need to release MORE records.

punkaspoo 07.16.2010 03:07 AM

Derek 07.16.2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

no problem:

Haha I refuse to believe that someone that's been listening to hip hop their whole life doesn't have an absolutely amazing collection! Though I suppose you probably sold most of them to buy more purple drank.

noisereductions 07.16.2010 07:21 PM

^I really don't keep CD's. I but them, burn em and trade em in to buy more. The only CD's I keep are Sonic Youth. Shrug. My emotional attachments keep the records alive way more than the piece of plastic could.

youthoftomorrow 07.18.2010 02:30 AM

Om - Conference of the Birds

the more i hear of this band, the more i love them.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis

pretty good. pretty standard Dillinger fare, really.

viewtiful alan redux 07.20.2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

You too noisereductions.

soon.

All three of these used:

And this new:

noisereductions 07.20.2010 09:11 PM

All 3: Made In Brooklyn, Tical 200 and Osirus are a 2/5. Maybe 2.5.

viewtiful alan redux 07.20.2010 09:13 PM

Way to rain on my new wu parade... : (
Well I did only pay about 10 dollars for the lot of them

Derek 07.21.2010 05:40 AM

Check what I just ordered:
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
Ghostface Killah - The Pretty Toney Album
Ghostface Killah - Bulletproof Wallets
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
The Roots - Phrenology

Only £11!!!

noisereductions 07.21.2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Check what I just ordered:
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
Ghostface Killah - The Pretty Toney Album
Ghostface Killah - Bulletproof Wallets
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
The Roots - Phrenology

Only £11!!!

Fishscale - 4/5
Pretty Toney - 5/5
Bulletproof - 2/5
Illadelph - 5/5
Phrenology - 4/5

...you dun gud

noisereductions 07.21.2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux
Way to rain on my new wu parade... : (
Well I did only pay about 10 dollars for the lot of them

hahaha sorry man. Still there's good SONGS on each of those. They're just not solid LP's.

MADE IN BROOKLYN is okay. Just a real let-down after NO SAID DATE which was one of the best Wu related albums in Yeeeeeeeeears. There's a a track produced by MF Doom, but it's a beat used in one of skits and the instrumental had been out for years, although on MK's track the beat is slowed down. Hmm.

TICAL 2000 is the best of the 3 you bought. I just didn't really like the production on this one. It's a bit too um.. like I think he was aiming for the radio a bit on this one. It's just not as dirty and creepy and heavy as on TICAL. Also I find this album too kind of a mess. Too long. Too many ideas thrown together. Too I don't know... confused? But there's some good stuff on it. Yo'ull probably like this one.

OSIRIS is pretty good. "Pop Shots" is excellent. I nver really understood this one> I guess it was outtakes from ASON UNIQUE or maybe it was meant to like prequel ASON UNIQUE -- but then ASON never came out. Or at least not last I knew about it. I think there was a promo LP of it that was officially released. ANd there was an album leak. But it's weird that it never came out and there was no real reason why. I remember that even magazines reviewed it (the leak or the promo, I'mnot sure). Anyway. I'm rambling. OSIRIS is a mix of good songs and throwaways, just like most "official mixtapes" of its type.

having said that... I bought all 3 as well. They're good to hav e even if only for certain songs.

Derek 07.21.2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Fishscale - 4/5
Pretty Toney - 5/5
Bulletproof - 2/5
Illadelph - 5/5
Phrenology - 4/5

...you dun gud

Bulletproof Wallets not too great then? Oh well, I bought it for like a penny anyway.

noisereductions 07.21.2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Bulletproof Wallets not too great then? Oh well, I bought it for like a penny anyway.

it's my least favorite Ghost album. Seriously, I listened to Wizard Of Poetry waaay more than Bulletproof. It's just kind of meh. Ther'es a couple wicked good tracks ("Maxine" for instance), but this was really during the period that the label was just screwing with him so bad. They wouldn't pay for samples he wanted, so good tracks were removed or remixed so that the beats were boring, etc. This album just really suffered from politics. It's not the album he wanted it to be , and it sounds like it.

PLUS, why is he making pancakes for Raekwon on the cover?

Derek 07.21.2010 07:30 AM

Bulletproof waffles?

noisereductions 07.21.2010 07:38 AM

haha. The album has a lot of like R&B shiz on it, but it's like radio hooks and stuff. Not what Ghost had in mind. Compare it to an outtake that they wouldn't sample-clear: "The Sun" which you can find as a bonus track on PUT IT ON THE LINE. It's sort of singsongy and everything BUT it's wicked weird. It's Ghost-style. Best line in the song is "the sun hits your eyes and makes your face do like THIS" -- as if you can see his face when he says it!!!! Plus Slick Rick is on the track. Pfft. But they wouldn't pay for it. Nope. "Sorry Ghostface, it's too weird for radioplay. How about you do a song with Carl Thomas instead?"

The Earl Of Slander 07.25.2010 10:12 AM

Vinyl:

CD:

Yes, I know it's stupid of me to have not got Supreme before this, but I've had a lot of hip-hop to get into this past year. Pretty Toney I bought (over my intended budget) purely because of NRs frequent recomendations, so I KNOW WHO TO BLAME IF I DON'T LIKE IT.

noisereductions 07.25.2010 02:12 PM

if you don't like it, there's something wrong with you. Though Viewtiful will agree that you might not love until listen #2. But it's amazing. Seriously. Supreme is great of course. And that Basement Tapes rules. I love that album. I'm not a big Waits fan myself. I know... I know... I like some of his shit, but I'm not a follower.

The Earl Of Slander 07.25.2010 06:27 PM

Waits-wise (I love the guy), have you heard Bone Machine? Because that's one that a lot of people seem to miss, and I think is his masterpiece. I've often talked about that album the way you talk about Pretty Toney...

noisereductions 07.25.2010 07:14 PM

I have heard Bone Machine. And Closing Time (that's what it's called, right?). And Swordfish Trombone. And I have that best of the early years collection. And I have the 3 disc set from a couple years ago. I mean, I've checked him out. He's just not a favorite of mine.

viewtiful alan redux 07.25.2010 11:29 PM

Ghost and Red were both 3 bucks used, bought Nico new

The Earl Of Slander 07.26.2010 03:11 AM

Quote:

I have heard Bone Machine. And Closing Time (that's what it's called, right?). And Swordfish Trombone. And I have that best of the early years collection. And I have the 3 disc set from a couple years ago. I mean, I've checked him out. He's just not a favorite of mine.

Fair enough. Sometimes it's just down to clicking or not clicking I guess. Quite surprised though, would have thought he'd be way up your street. I would go and list other good stuff, because I think he's ace, but to be honest, if you haven't really got into him from those albums, it seems likely that you won't...

loubarret 07.26.2010 05:57 AM

Vinyl:

Cd:
Controversial Negro-Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

noisereductions 07.26.2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Fair enough. Sometimes it's just down to clicking or not clicking I guess. Quite surprised though, would have thought he'd be way up your street. I would go and list other good stuff, because I think he's ace, but to be honest, if you haven't really got into him from those albums, it seems likely that you won't...

I do enjoy Closing Time.

The Earl Of Slander 07.26.2010 08:57 AM

Oh, if you enjoy the early Waits like Closing Time, then I will recommend another one, because that stuff's both awesome and very different, and really under-loved I feel. Nighthawks at the Diner? Seriously, essential. There are times when the early, smoother, 'smokey bar' Waits stuff is my absolute favourite by him, and that's always been my most loved album from that period. It's recorded live in the studio, and is basically absolutely ace Closing Time-esque stuff, but interweaved with long sections of him just rambling off on little chats kind of related to the songs with the band playing behind him, and it's masterful. If you ever feel a hole in your life for pretty much the ultimate late night drunk guy at a piano in a dive bar kind of album (so pretty much the early Tom Waits cliche haha), but done just really beautifully and sincerely, it's perfect. Check it.

TheFoxBen 07.26.2010 09:27 AM

Waits' whole discography is seriously good but it's hard for me to get into Nighthawks at the Diner... I would say that you should check out Small Change and Blue Valentine if you like Closing Time...

noisereductions 07.26.2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Oh, if you enjoy the early Waits like Closing Time, then I will recommend another one, because that stuff's both awesome and very different, and really under-loved I feel. Nighthawks at the Diner? Seriously, essential. There are times when the early, smoother, 'smokey bar' Waits stuff is my absolute favourite by him, and that's always been my most loved album from that period. It's recorded live in the studio, and is basically absolutely ace Closing Time-esque stuff, but interweaved with long sections of him just rambling off on little chats kind of related to the songs with the band playing behind him, and it's masterful. If you ever feel a hole in your life for pretty much the ultimate late night drunk guy at a piano in a dive bar kind of album (so pretty much the early Tom Waits cliche haha), but done just really beautifully and sincerely, it's perfect. Check it.

that sounds intriguing. 'smokey bar' is exactly how I"d describe the Waits stuff that I DO like.

Death & the Maiden 07.28.2010 09:21 PM

High Rise - 2nd
VA - Tokyo Flashback
Michio Kadotani - Rotten Telepathies
Fushitsusha - Live 2
Gaseneta - Sooner or Later
VA - Tokyo Flashback 2
VA - Tokyo Flashback3
Kousokuya + Masayoshi Urabe - The Dark Spot
Jutok Kaneko - Endless Ruins
Kousokuya - Live Gyakuryu Kokuu

DVD: