Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   (actual) world cup thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40145)

the ikara cult 06.23.2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
thats true, i prefer him to ferdinand but gerard at least looks like a chav made good.

ghana/germany is a good match.

Gerrard is a serial diver who gets involved in fights in clubs when he's in his late 20s and one of the biggest stars in the country. Ive got no time for him, la.

jon boy 06.23.2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Gerrard is a serial diver who gets involved in fights in clubs when he's in his late 20s and one of the biggest stars in the country. Ive got no time for him, la.

yeh but he's a chav made good, like devo.

i know what you mean though.

demonrail666 06.23.2010 02:23 PM

Terry's worse than Lampard. Watch Terry going into a tackle. Total rape face. Never had a problem with Gerrard, and love Ferdinand.

!@#$%! 06.23.2010 02:24 PM

poor germany can't find a way to win and ghana is capitalizing on this. what the fuck is happening to germany? they started the world cup so well. (i didn't see their serbia match). ghana is a little more disorganized but their defense is good and they've overcome the german pressure from the early game. serbia and australia are also tied so ghana wins first place with a draw. us-germany / ghana-england coming up? i thought serbia was going to shred australia, and it's not happening. crazy... not watching their game though so i don't know.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.23.2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gualbert
Two valid goals for USA weren't accepted.
Within 3 matchs.
Yanks are not welcome in this world cup, I think.

agreed whole-heartedly but thats what made the win that much more exciting, because we keep getting robbed of perfectly good goals!

south africa also would have easily advanced had they also not been robbed of at least two if not four perfectly legitimate goals!

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
poor germany can't find a way to win and ghana is capitalizing on this. what the fuck is happening to germany? they started the world cup so well. (i didn't see their serbia match). ghana is a little more disorganized but their defense is good and they've overcome the german pressure from the early game. serbia and australia are also tied so ghana wins first place with a draw. us-germany / ghana-england coming up? i thought serbia was going to shred australia, and it's not happening. crazy... not watching their game though so i don't know.

pele was right, but its not over till its over. 1 gol at a time ;) go GHANA!

!@#$%! 06.23.2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
agreed whole-heartedly but thats what made the win that much more exciting, because we keep getting robbed of perfectly good goals!

more glory for us

----

the malinese ref is in deep shit and still under investigation btw

pbradley 06.23.2010 02:42 PM

I wonder what would happen if the USA won the World Cup. Of course I'm not suggesting that we have any real chance at it this year, I have no clue. However, the best the USA has ever done was third place at the first World Cup in 1930. Given that the USA is a nation of self-perceived winners, I wonder if winning the World Cup might make US residents more interested in international football and, ideally via extension, the international community.

terriblecanyons 06.23.2010 02:45 PM

if the US won, it would probably tear a hole in the space-time continuum and I would become a geocentrist.

!@#$%! 06.23.2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I wonder what would happen if the USA won the World Cup. Of course I'm not suggesting that we have any real chance at it this year, I have no clue. However, the best the USA has ever done was third place at the first World Cup in 1930.

the 30's: this is why: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1930_FI...p#Participants

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Given that the USA is a nation of self-perceived winners

ha ha ha, this is so true, reminds me of vonnegut in "mother night". long explanation... fuck, germany just scored.

!@#$%! 06.23.2010 03:11 PM

holy shit australia is beating serbia. INSANE.

Rob Instigator 06.23.2010 03:16 PM

This is how I felt when the USA scored that goal in the 91-92nd minute

!@#$%! 06.23.2010 03:21 PM

usa-ghana : i'm wary of facing this team. they are good.
england-germany : bloodbath!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.23.2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

usa-ghana : i'm wary of facing this team. they are good.
england-germany : bloodbath!

ouch! Jah! what a match indeed, hometeam vs my fav in Africa! oh jah!
Quote:

holy shit australia is beating serbia. INSANE.

Ghana got the miracle they needed, Australia beat serbia!! what a miracle. Australia's second gol over Serbia was as exciting as the US gol to take the win, because Australia is out over Ghana by differentials!

now the US-Ghana game is going to break my heart one way or the other!!

chicka 06.23.2010 04:14 PM

Never say die. What a throw by Howard to set up the winning goal. He won't get one but he sure deserved an assist for that one. Ghana went into a shell in the second half especially after the German goal. They played not to loose and fortunately for them it payed off.

The way the USA has been playing they've got as good a chance as anybody it would be nice to see Bradley start the right team for a change but his switches made him look like a genius.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.23.2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka
Never say die. What a throw by Howard to set up the winning goal. He won't get one but he sure deserved an assist for that one. Ghana went into a shell in the second half especially after the German goal. They played not to loose and fortunately for them it payed off.

The way the USA has been playing they've got as good a chance as anybody it would be nice to see Bradley start the right team for a change but his switches made him look like a genius.

thats all Ghana needed after Australia took serbia, I was so happy with Australia's two gols it was more exciting than the Ghana match I was watching!!

With Ghana facing USA it is a win-win for me, either way I am happy with whoever advances after Saturday, if US wins I am thrilled, if Ghana wins, I am blessing Africa for the Africans!

Ghana was DOMINATING Germany until that gol, and then as you said, it was just a matter of blocking Germany from sweeping em under the rug! Ghana has the skill, so does Cote D'Ivore, they just got bad match ups.

South Africa could have advanced if it weren't for some bad calls that robbed them of crucial gols

Nigeria simply caved, they had that match in the bag, so many wasted opportunities

Pele was absolutely correct, Africa is a powerhouse this year, they just had some bad matches and bad refs

demonrail666 06.23.2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka

I totally agree, both about the USA's chances and Bradley. Lots of teams have been impressive, but all of them look beatable. The problem is that the more established teams tend to improve as the tournament progresses. But if the USA haven't peaked too early, then why not?

England v Germany ... the tabloid editors are rubbing their hands together at that one. They'll treat it like the final.

Rob Instigator 06.23.2010 04:43 PM

If anything, the fucking difficutly of the USA's first three matches, especially coming out to tie (should have won) from being down two goals, and fighting with everything they had to win the one today. These are the kids of experiences that gel a team that really plays together far lesss than most of the other national squads.
I think it showed the world of futbol that the USA is growing up.

I have no issue whatsoever if futbol becomes the second biggest sport in the USA. Hockey can eat a rotten dick, baseball is dying a slow death, and basketball has become a league of 5 good teams and 27 shit ones. HAHAHAH!

Nothing will replace my beloved american football!!!!!!!!!! I'm dyin' here!!!!!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.23.2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
If anything, the fucking difficutly of the USA's first three matches, especially coming out to tie (should have won) from being down two goals, and fighting with everything they had to win the one today. These are the kids of experiences that gel a team that really plays together far lesss than most of the other national squads.
I think it showed the world of futbol that the USA is growing up.

I have no issue whatsoever if futbol becomes the second biggest sport in the USA. Hockey can eat a rotten dick, baseball is dying a slow death, and basketball has become a league of 5 good teams and 27 shit ones. HAHAHAH!

Nothing will replace my beloved american football!!!!!!!!!! I'm dyin' here!!!!!

what I love most of all is NO COMMERCIALS!! I HATE commercial television, I will watch ANYTHING on PBS to spare me the drama, headache and brainwashing of commercials and advertising. I almost exclusively watch PBS, regardless of how boring or lame what is on is, so futbol has truly won my vote with commercial free broadcasts.

further, the non-stop playing is very very very exciting coming from American spectator sports which are all stop stop stop for advertising.. I have never been on my feet so much for sports as with futbol matches, it is 95 minutes nonstop excitement, shouting, jumping, clapping, screaming, falling!!!

Rob Instigator 06.23.2010 04:56 PM

Vince Lombardi said that football died the first time they stopped the game for a TV commercial.
Before that, the american football game would only stop when coaches called time-outs, which were 3 a game..

Keeping It Simple 06.23.2010 05:03 PM

No one would ever have thought the USA would top Group C.

Rob Instigator 06.23.2010 05:05 PM

I am very excited. It is on to the win-or-go-home stages!!!!!!!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.23.2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
No one would ever have thought the USA would top Group C.

When we drew with England I knew we could clinch the Group.. US has some of the best defense in the Cup, we play much better when the cards are down and are come-back kings thus far

Toilet & Bowels 06.23.2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
England v Germany ... the tabloid editors are rubbing their hands together at that one. They'll treat it like the final.

except it's more important than the final

demonrail666 06.23.2010 06:09 PM

The Sun's probably already preparing it's giveaway Spitfire poster, in time for Sunday's edition. They're already at it. Tomorrow's backpage headline of The Sun: 'PREPARE FOR GERM WARFARE!'

chicka 06.23.2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
what I love most of all is NO COMMERCIALS!! I HATE commercial television, I will watch ANYTHING on PBS to spare me the drama, headache and brainwashing of commercials and advertising. I almost exclusively watch PBS, regardless of how boring or lame what is on is, so futbol has truly won my vote with commercial free broadcasts.

further, the non-stop playing is very very very exciting coming from American spectator sports which are all stop stop stop for advertising.. I have never been on my feet so much for sports as with futbol matches, it is 95 minutes nonstop excitement, shouting, jumping, clapping, screaming, falling!!!

Couldn't agree more about the Ads. I just recently got a deal on HBO and MAX before that I lived on TCM. The thing I hate about US Football is they have followed the basketball mentality in over hyping the stars. Of all the American sports football is the most team oriented. Lebron can go for 50-13-12 and the team will win. Baseball the pitcher can throw a no-hitter but Brady needs Welker on the other end of those passes as well as o-line to protect him and running game to ease the pressure

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.23.2010 09:52 PM

I read an LA times editorial which said that the bad calls and lost goals against the US team have "bolstered support for the US team at home; after all nothing galvanizes Americans like a perceived injustice."

I agree, the official motto of the American people is, "Fuck that shit."

!@#$%! 06.23.2010 10:03 PM

when i came to 'merica i tried getting interested in the local sports but it was all 80% commercials 20% game so i said fuckit. i used to go see DC united at the stadium every now & then and that was lots of fun. here i'm close to regular mexico and there's not futbol stadium-- SHAME! there's only minor league baseball and i don't much feel like going. i went to a baseball stadium once (in baltimore) and it was dull as fuck, the only half-consolation was weak & overpriced beer-- no thanks! and the orioles lost, as usual. actually now that i remember it wasn't THAT dull, but futbol is way more fun & cheaper & worth the money & the spectators make a more fun racket.

Keeping It Simple 06.24.2010 05:06 AM

Quote:

The Sun's probably already preparing it's giveaway Spitfire poster, in time for Sunday's edition. They're already at it. Tomorrow's backpage headline of The Sun: 'PREPARE FOR GERM WARFARE!'

Shouldn't that be The Daily Mirror?

Rob Instigator 06.24.2010 09:01 AM

HAHAHA! I read one of the English correspondents for ESPN say how the tone of the media coverage in the UK would immediately shift to an all out attack on the german team and heaps of praise for the UK squad! ha ha!

!@#$%! 06.24.2010 10:35 AM

vamos, paraguay! haz un gol!!!

!@#$%! 06.24.2010 10:53 AM

italy is getting killed? holy fuck!!@

--

slovaks are faking all kind of bullshit pains

--

oh my fucking god. unfuckingbelievable. poor italy!-- and congrats slavo-- what a surprise

paraguay goes 1st... south american futbol is doing great so far.

jon boy 06.24.2010 11:41 AM

bye bye italy, good game that.

demonrail666 06.24.2010 11:44 AM

verme (prevaricator) 06.24.2010 11:50 AM

engraçado era se a espanha viesse para casa amanhã.

jennthebenn 06.24.2010 12:12 PM

I cannot wait for England vs. Germany. Cannot...fucking...wait.

Rob Instigator 06.24.2010 12:34 PM

!@#$%! 06.24.2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)
engraçado era se a espanha viesse para casa amanhã.

haa haa haa-- i got that. "engrasado" = greased up.

you'll cover yourself in lard if spain is sent home, huh?

(no, i really got it. but it wouldn't be just funny, it would be awesome--ha!)

---

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

HILARIOUS

demonrail666 06.24.2010 01:49 PM

Anyone see Honda's freekick for Japan? Awesome!

!@#$%! 06.24.2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Anyone see Honda's freekick for Japan? Awesome!

no-- been watching nederlandia. cameroon has no hope yet they are fighting. japan game good? need to flip channels more.

---

saw YC and commentators were saying japan has no attackers so went back to cameroon

demonrail666 06.24.2010 02:01 PM

Fucking hell! Japan are a nation of free-kick takers!!!!!!

Amazing!