Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Disco and electronic music in general (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=5305)

noisereductions 08.01.2008 08:00 AM

VSnares, Scissor Shock, Doormouse...

noisereductions 08.01.2008 08:00 AM

HAHA! Just trying to get yr goat, man.

atsonicpark 08.01.2008 08:03 AM

Early Venetian Snares does suck, I've said this before. Just nanoseconds of beats spliced together. He's developed a sense of melody and has really went at lengths to differentiate the songs now. I'm not saying his old music is bad, I'm saying I know a shitload of people probably heard it, went "I can do this!", and did the same fucking thing but worse.

Norma J 08.01.2008 08:18 AM

I want more and more electronic based music these days. I don't know too many people with good suggestions for such, though.

demonrail666 08.01.2008 08:30 AM

Electronic music is far too broad a term to allow someone to recommend you something. There's the more avant-garde stuff that I know almost nothing about, but I think Sarramkrop might be able to help you there. The Power Electronics stuff, which again I know next to nothing about, but seems to be firmly in Melly territory. I know a little bit about the electronica/ambient scene but not really enough to recommend stuff. I think Toilet and Bowels keeps up with what's going on in the Grime scene more than most people here. I'm mostly into Disco, House, Garage, Jungle and earlier Techno, but I somehow doubt that you have that type of stuff in mind. Although if you like this, or this, then I could recommend you tons of stuff.

atsonicpark 08.01.2008 08:47 AM

duh uh i like flashbulb and eight frozen modules

noisereductions 08.01.2008 08:51 AM

Anyone like Drop The Lime? I think he's been doing some interesting stuff lately.

And it'd be great if there were another Hrvatski (not KFW) album.

Toilet & Bowels 08.01.2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'm not saying his old music is bad, I'm saying I know a shitload of people probably heard it, went "I can do this!", and did the same fucking thing but worse.

Off the top of my head i can't remember hearing any breakcore stuff that was any good, apart from venetian snares. not that i've spent much time looking into it, but still.

demonrail666 08.01.2008 09:02 AM

Venetian Snares just gives me a headache I'm afraid, as does all that breakcore whatchamacallit

noisereductions 08.01.2008 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Venetian Snares just gives me a headache I'm afraid, as does all that breakcore whatchamacallit

Then you havent heard the right stuff. That's what I like so much about him. Every album is a surprise. He investigates genres, subgenres, etc. He has some very, um, listenable stuff... that wouldnt give you a headache.

atsonicpark 08.01.2008 09:44 AM

Yeah, he has a pure classical album (my downfall) and some works that utilize classical strings and whatnot.

He's great and he keeps getting better , and I just used his name for lack of a better example.

noisereductions 08.01.2008 10:02 AM

Damn, I didnt get MY DOWNFALL. I skipped that one, MEATHOLE and the one that has GLEE in the title.

But ROSSZ... is a pretty amazing example of his more subdued work. At times completely beautiful.

atsonicpark 08.01.2008 10:06 AM

Agreed, there are times it's really beautiful; other times, it just sounds like random string samples with breakbeats over top.

Glee is one of my favorites.

noisereductions 08.01.2008 11:24 AM

I should check GLEE and DOWNFALL out... but I'm planning to pick up the new one real soon. Those are the only ones I dont have.

WINTER, HIGGINS, CANDACE, [phone number], and ROSSZ are my Top 5. In that order.

Cantankerous 08.01.2008 11:25 AM

disco - absolutely..i can't resist a four on the floor beat.

electronic music - sometimes

MellySingsDoom 08.02.2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
disco - absolutely..i can't resist a four on the floor beat.

electronic music - sometimes

You know what this thread needs? Masters At Work!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Jqf1lT6cU

_slavo_ 08.02.2008 02:34 AM

I was actually massively hooked on this back in the days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvOozz7rmko

still a catchy tune, ain't it?

sarramkrop 08.02.2008 03:20 PM

You can't listen to anything electronic without liking to dance. If you do you're a lame poseur. Disco is always a good start.

MellySingsDoom 08.02.2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
You can't listen to anything electronic without liking to dance. If you do you're a lame poseur. Disco is always a good start.

Yup.

Um.

Word up to the sarram man!

acousticrock87 08.02.2008 07:09 PM

I love popular 90s electronic stuff. Propellerheads, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, and Crystal Method specifically.

Good stuff.