Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Personal Guitar Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3414)

king_buzzo 05.10.2007 02:58 PM

I want a white CIJ Jaguar. Stupid Japanese website doesn't have their stuff in english since they just updated the site.

Phlegmscope 08.15.2007 06:14 PM

I think I just bought a guitar today.
It's a japanese Les Paul copy made by Maya from the 70's. It was cheap so I decided too get it. I don't have an amplifier yet, but few people I know do have so I need test it with their gear soon.

max 08.15.2007 07:26 PM

ok, i'll keep it clear and to the point: i am a sg freak.

l to r:

BLASTER (gibson sg special, 2002) - SHIFTER (le marquis deluxe, 2007) - CHEATER (eko dv-10, 2006) - BEATER (epiphone sg special, 2005)

for some reasons i can only play sg shaped guitars.

BLASTER was my first sg shaped thing ever. I wanted to go for the real deal and I really love this one... it's my main instrument - live and in studio. 990 fucking euros.

BEATER is the house workhorse, has a peace logo on the body (front) and a SMALL WHITE logo in the back. played live just once. 139 dollars (being teh cheapest one in my rig), bought it in Chicago...

CHEATER is the gibson official replacement 'cuz it really plays like a sg special... maybe hotter pickups delivering a more acid sound. it's got a 7 sticker in the front. it was 134 euros including delivery. first guitar ever to be bought online.

SHIFTER was the last one to arrive (got it online too), almost never played this! i just bought it for 200 mere euros - I really needed a bigsby bridge at this point so I said, let's go for it.

i really like these ones. i am getting rid of a ESP / LTD viper100 (swapping it for a bass) becuz i have too many on my hands.

pbradley 08.15.2007 07:49 PM

Fender Jaguar

Japanese Reissue
Needs new strings (forgot the gauges)
2 stock pickups
floating tremolo needs fixin
rosewood fretboard
creme body with maple red pick guard
1 classic nude model sticker
1 liberty bell stamp
1 "inspected by 66" insert taped on with another 6 written on it

Cantankerous 08.15.2007 08:25 PM

this is the one i usually play, i believe it's a '66, it has the big CBS headstock but i've never taken the neck off to look at the date stamped on it. i think the original color was sonic blue but the laquer probably yellowed with age and made it look more like a light turquoise. no stickers on it, all original electronics/pickups etc (to the best of my knowledge).

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.15.2007 08:54 PM

How can you afford vintage Jaguars Cantanky?

Cantankerous 08.15.2007 08:58 PM

because people have been putting money into accounts for me since the day i was born and i have had a job 90% of the time since i could legally work.

CHOUT 08.15.2007 09:08 PM

Fender 72 Tele Thinline Reissue
Sonic Blue
Maple Neck
2 buckers
Got it mint, now a little scratched
Won't stay in tune, need to work on that

Savage Clone 08.15.2007 09:09 PM

I don't buy new guitars very often. Still have the same stuff as I had on Page One.

Cantankerous 08.15.2007 09:10 PM

that is fucking awesome chout. i have a 69 thinline reissue, brown wood. i dropped it on bricks once though and there's a huge crack in the lacquer. my dad gave it to me.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.15.2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
because people have been putting money into accounts for me since the day i was born and i have had a job 90% of the time since i could legally work.

Fair enough.

CHOUT 08.15.2007 09:31 PM

Posted this earlier in the thread, but here's the stats:

Fender Nashville Power Tele, Mexico
Candy Apple Red
Rosewood Fretboard
Medium Jumbo frets (a personal fave feature of this guitar)
Ugly modern dark tortoise pickguard (I'm probably going to replace it)
Strat Pickup in the middle
Formerly had a Fishman Piezo pickup wired up in the bridge, but the preamp broke and it was uncontrollably noisy, got it bypassed and have since removed the back knob that controlled it.

The first guitar I actually have thrown at a gig, which happened recently...now dented on the bottom near the control plate with a few small paint chips.

CHOUT 08.15.2007 09:37 PM

1965 Fender Jazzmaster
-refinished white with matching headstock
-rosewood fretboard
-clay fretboard dots
-classic original tortoise pickguard (they don't (or can't) make 'em like this anymore)
-my #1 guitar
-2 single coils, pretty noisy when only using 1 pickup, but I usually use both anyway

Cantankerous 08.15.2007 09:39 PM

do you know if they ever made soapbar pickups for the jag? i like them.

CHOUT 08.15.2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
do you know if they ever made soapbar pickups for the jag? i like them.

I'm not sure, I haven't seen many variations on Jag Pickups.

Cantankerous 08.15.2007 09:44 PM

yeah, i don't think i've ever seen one with soapbar pickups. i'm pretty sure the ones like on mine are the only ones they ever made now that i look into it.

edit: i found this on google image search, some kind of weird japanese reissue:

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.15.2007 09:54 PM

If I ever get a telecaster, it will have a b-bender.

BTW, for those of you who don't read the effects thread, lemme whore my stuff I'm selling. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/398011269.html All the stuff on there costs the same ammount shipped.

Cantankerous 08.15.2007 10:00 PM

how much do you want for that guitar? i could paint it and make it look awesome if you already sanded it.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.15.2007 10:23 PM

Well it needs to be sanded a little more as you can see there is still some orange to it, but I want 200 shipped. They were 400-500 new.

Cantankerous 08.15.2007 10:25 PM

i'll consider it. i think i have enough guitars as it is though.