Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MPP===best album of all time (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28682)

acousticrock87 01.08.2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I think if you are concerned with being "up" on what people are actually listening to, as if that is a barometer of sorts, or an indicative of what YOU should listen to, then I don't know what to say man.

I'm not wholly opposed to that idea. I think other people's taste should point you to things you should hear, but not to actually like. That's obviously just a taste thing.

But I do think that to an extent it's important to know what's going on.

Derek 01.08.2009 03:48 PM

I'm totally gonna sign up to the collected animals forum for the hell of it.

sarramkrop 01.08.2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead
no, i pointed it out because you and Rob are probably the 2 oldest ones still arguing, and you both have the same stance.

you probably do listen to way more young bands than i do. it probably helps in your dismissal (of AC) that you can rattle off so many new bands that you could listen to instead. it also helps to hide behind all the obscure names you know

Well, have a look through my threads, you'll find that I don't discriminate at all. Also, I personally couldn't care much about what people think of AC, I just like saying they're shit and see what happens. That can't be too much of a bad thing, since I'm confident I know what I like and what I don't like.

Rob Instigator 01.08.2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I'm not wholly opposed to that idea. I think other people's taste should point you to things you should hear, but not to actually like. That's obviously just a taste thing.

But I do think that to an extent it's important to know what's going on.

I agree. why do you think I always ask you guys what you are listening to?????????

You guys are more forthcoming and honest and informative than anyone at the goddamn record stores!

davenotdead 01.08.2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I think if you are concerned with being "up" on what people are actually listening to, as if that is a barometer of sorts, or an indicative of what YOU should listen to, then I don't know what to say man. In 1977 people by the millions were "actually" listening to Fleetwood Mac and that shit is pure garbage to me. what does that even mean man?

again, I don't care about what other people listen to... but it is very pleasantly surprising to me that AC are this big right now... just a few years ago, they made a very "weird" album, and released a live album that is pretty similar to "noise music"... what other band out there can sell this many records with the kind of background/back catalogue that AC has?

atsonicpark 01.08.2009 03:52 PM

WAIT -- you don't like Fleetwood Mac, Rob?!

FUCK!

Derek 01.08.2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
I'm totally gonna sign up to the collected animals forum for the hell of it.

"The new registrations are disabled." Okay never mind haha.

atsonicpark 01.08.2009 03:53 PM

Westernquinox should sign up there!

sarramkrop 01.08.2009 03:53 PM

They Might Be Giants

...and Advice Dog!!!!!!!!!!

(when new users can join I mean)

Ah yeah.

Phish.

uhler 01.08.2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Real people listen to Linkin Park, Coldplay, The Beatles, Jack Johnson, and one randomly selected mid-level band such as Animal Collective, MGMT, or Radiohead.

you forgot puddle of mudd.

i will say that i bet most of the people in my hometown in florida don't even know who ac are. they will cont. listening to nu rock and metal that was released over ten to fifteen years ago.

the people that do like ac where i lived are the biggest dorks. playing their ultimate frisbee and hacky sack while pretending to take drugs and run around barefooted. horrible. almost as bad as the unltimate v neck shirts dudes in williamsburg wear.

Rob Instigator 01.08.2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead
again, I don't care about what other people listen to... but it is very pleasantly surprising to me that AC are this big right now... just a few years ago, they made a very "weird" album, and released a live album that is pretty similar to "noise music"... what other band out there can sell this many records with the kind of background/back catalogue that AC has?

we will see how many AC records are in the used bin at the record store and at the half price books in a few years.
;)

atsonicpark 01.08.2009 03:54 PM

Where abouts in Florida are you from Uhler? I go down to St. Petersburgh all the time.

Derek 01.08.2009 03:55 PM

I've never met anyone that likes AC apart from one of my best friends.

davenotdead 01.08.2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Well, have a look through my threads, you'll find that I don't discriminate at all. Also, I personally couldn't care much about what people think of AC, I just like saying they're shit and see what happens. That can't be too much of a bad thing, since I'm confident I know what I like and what I don't like.

just be sure you don't dismiss some good stuff because it doesn't sound like it falls in the parameters of your taste. I can speak to that from experience... I also used to dismiss stuff because it was written about in tons of magazines... I'm not saying that you do, but the phrase I bolded in your post makes me think there's a possibility

Rob Instigator 01.08.2009 03:56 PM

we all love something that others think is crap. so what?

the merits of AC were not the issue, but their effect on MASS CONSCIOUSNESS, their "popularity" or lack thereof.

atsonicpark 01.08.2009 03:56 PM

I must live in the hippest town ever. Though really all the cool kids live in Bloomington, one town over. I know a shit-ton of people who know and like AC and I certainly didn't get any of them into them except my girlfriend. Then again, I can name 5 people who love Cerberus Shoal in real life ...

then again, I can only name like 1 person who likes Sun City Girls. So, I dunno. Fuck it. Who cares.

davenotdead 01.08.2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
"The new registrations are disabled." Okay never mind haha.

thats how much of a madhouse it got around leak time... also, because of trolls... if you want in I can give you the email

uhler 01.08.2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Where abouts in Florida are you from Uhler? I go down to St. Petersburgh all the time.

45 minutes north from st. pete. around tarpon springs. i used to go to shows and hang out with friends there all time.