Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

Everyneurotic 04.29.2007 05:54 PM

i'm just saying, but it's a fact that the flaming lips aren't that original, they are good at borrowing from other styles.

plus, this is the UNPOPULAR musical opinions, everybody loves dinosaur jr, so what if a couple of us actually think for ourselves and realize we're not that into them anymore?

luxinterior 04.29.2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
parts 2/3 of "king of carrot flowers" is probably the worst song ever.

There's something about Neutral Milk Hotel that bothers the hell out of me, and I don't think it's the music, because I don't really care one way or the other how it sounds. Maybe it's the lyrics, because it's just a bunch of nonsense that gives the illusion of having some deeper meaning but probably doesn't because the only people I know who listen to them usually tend to like lyrics and writing that are really just a bunch of meaningless crap.

Now I'm not saying that every batch of lyrics ever written needs to be mindblowing, because it's really about HOW you say something rather than WHAT you say if you get my drift, and some of my favorite songs have the most useless sets of lyrics to go along with them, but these lyrics aren't pretending to be good either.

Right now I am just going through some sort of phase where I really don't want to hear and understand lyrics because few people can actually write them well enough to please me, so I've tried listening to more foreign music that I can't understand the lyrics to obviously (because I still like to hear certain kinds of voices), but also more instrumental music so I don't have to worry about liking the voice either, because now there is none, and that makes everyone involved happy.

luxinterior 04.29.2007 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
ya i don't write lyrics. i use stream of conscious singing to varying degrees of succes it must be said. i feel that today and yesterday was a good day for it though. bear witness if you like www.myspace.com/zombitechnique sorry it's not electro but i had to rock since i don't have the gear for my electric dreams right now. however, there is some spanish lark

You're distracting me from my essays but really I don't want to write these essays anyway.

pbradley 04.29.2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
plus, this is the UNPOPULAR musical opinions, everybody loves dinosaur jr, so what if a couple of us actually think for ourselves and realize we're not that into them anymore?

Dude, re-read my post. I didn't say you can't not like them. I was only making a passing comment about how many times I've seen you guys post the fact repeatedly in this thread. Chill the fuck out.

You don't like Dinosaur Jr. No one should judge you less for it, I know I don't. All power to you.

Green_mind 04.29.2007 06:57 PM

Carrot Rope is a brilliant song and fills me full of joy.

schizophrenicroom 04.29.2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
NO FUCKING WAY YOU JUST SAID THAT! UGH!!! I'M SO DISAPPOINTED!!!

oh man :( I'M SORRY STEVE. I STILL LOVE YOU.

demonrail666 04.29.2007 08:47 PM

I actually stopped caring very much about Sonic Youth after they released Daydream Nation. Before that, I loved them to bits but after that ... they sort of became just another band in lots of ways.

I also find something really irritating about Thurston and Kim, but I can't quite nail down what it is.

I think I just 'outed' myself right there.

luxinterior 04.29.2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I also find something really irritating about Thurston and Kim, but I can't quite nail down what it is.

Well they're crap if that's what you're getting at.

demonrail666 04.29.2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
Well they're crap if that's what you're getting at.

I think you might've just nailed it right on the head there.

SynthethicalY 04.29.2007 10:03 PM

I like The Killers Sam's Town (This will get me punished, but is the truth).
Justin Timberlake makes me want to Dance, I brought SexyBack.
I don't see the big deal about My Bloody Valentine.

sarramkrop 04.30.2007 04:03 AM

Dionne Warwick's voice is better than Aretha Franklin's.
The Clash never did it for me either.
Johnny Rotten is more annoying than anything. The stupid intimidating look that he puts on makes me want to feed him turds, more than scare me.He's not even as clever as he thinks he is.

Onani Nic 04.30.2007 04:08 AM

"My Love" was the best song of last year

Iain 04.30.2007 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Johnny Rotten is more annoying than anything. The stupid intimidating look that he puts makes me want to feed him turds, more than scare me.He's not even as clever as he thinks he is.

YES!

jon boy 04.30.2007 04:40 AM

i find the clash so godamn annoying.

Trasher02 04.30.2007 04:42 AM

I'm not a big clash fan but they left their mark in music history.

king_buzzo 04.30.2007 04:43 AM

The Clash were allright.

nicfit 04.30.2007 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
cocorosie are coming for gig here, but i m bored. they are sweet but this kind of sweetness doenst work for me..

Their last record is less sweet. And Bianca is soooooooooooooo beautiful.....

Torn Curtain 04.30.2007 07:27 AM

Regarding Neutral Milk Hotel, I don't understand why they're deemed high because I think their music really sucks.

Very unpopular opinion on this board: I like War, Under a blood red sky, The unforgettable fire, The Joshua tree and Achtung baby by U2.

sarramkrop 04.30.2007 07:29 AM

[quote=Nefeli]cocorosie are coming for gig here, but i m bored. they are quote]

I agree. Their voices sound like cats demanding food. Throw in Johanna Newson in there too.

Torn Curtain 04.30.2007 07:31 AM

Sorry CocoRosie fans but I think they're poseurs and their music is pretentious and annoying.

Torn Curtain 04.30.2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Throw in Johanna Newson in there too.

I used to hate her but Ys changed my mind.

MellySingsDoom 04.30.2007 06:04 PM

Siouxsie And the Banshees have made a couple of decent LPs.

Danny Himself 04.30.2007 06:08 PM

Almost every band from England are complete shit.

MellySingsDoom 04.30.2007 06:10 PM

"Almost", eh? What English bands get ye thumbs up then, out of interest?

Danny Himself 04.30.2007 06:12 PM

None, actually.

Every band from England are complete shit.

MellySingsDoom 04.30.2007 06:16 PM

Interesting. Well, here's my pick of UK bands:

Ramleh
Astral Social Club
Evan Parker/John Edwards/Chris Corsano
Whitehouse
Consumer Electronics
The Temperatures
Radiohead (honest, guv)
The Heads
Electric Wizard

There's probably more, but my brain can't remember much else right now.

Danny Himself 04.30.2007 06:20 PM

Oh yeah, Radiohead.

I am really tired right now, so you probably shouldn't be taking me seriously.

pbradley 04.30.2007 06:39 PM

- Throwing Muses/50 Foot Wave are underrated.
- I like At The Drive-In's later albums.
- I don't see what the big deal is over Beat Happening.
- I dug Love so much that I've started to like it more than the Beatles' full albms and I feel lame for it
- Coldplay is A-Okay (well their first two albums are)
- The Kinks kick the crap out of the Beatles (somebody else mentioned this but I agree)

!@#$%! 04.30.2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
I used to hate her but Ys changed my mind.

i was ambivalent, but i really love Ys after all; im even listening to milk-eyed mender these days.

Savage Clone 04.30.2007 06:58 PM

Joanna Newsom and CocoRosie have both sent me into apoplectic fits of twitching rage during live performance. I find their voices and personae extremely abrasive, but I give Joanna Newsom points for pure talent. I just never want to hear her sing again as long as I live.

Beat Happening weren't so terrible in and of themselves, but the fact that they wound up being "influential" in their approach and attitude had horrible repercussions affecting the quality of indie music that followed in their wake that carry on to this day.

!@#$%! 04.30.2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Joanna Newsom and CocoRosie have both sent me into apoplectic fits of twitching rage during live performance. I find their voices and personae extremely abrasive...

funny, i spotted her @ arthrfest i think while waiting for cat power & i almost larffed outloud @ the flower arrangement in her hair. however, i find her rather hot, these days. perhaps i'm being branwashed by hipster groupthink.

i'd guess you don't like the lavender diamonds either? they played oh so prettily. and her voice can be very high pitched.

--

edit:
http://www.lavenderdiamond.com/player.html

demonrail666 04.30.2007 07:04 PM

Definitely Maybe is a great album.

Savage Clone 04.30.2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
funny, i spotted her @ arthrfest i think while waiting for cat power & i almost larffed outloud @ the flower arrangement in her hair. however, i find her rather hot, these days. perhaps i'm being branwashed by hipster groupthink.

She's beautiful. No brainwashing necessary to see that. I just don't want to hear her sing. She is a fine harpist. I respect her right to exist; it's all a taste issue. I definitely find CocoRosie more offensive on several levels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i'd guess you don't like the lavender diamonds either? they played oh so prettily. and her voice can be very high pitched.

I don't go for them either really, but it's more because I find them kind of middle-of-the-road. Not too fond of their lyrics either, and they mix them too high in the music not to notice.

!@#$%! 04.30.2007 07:12 PM

oh. im blessed with a poor understanding of english lyrics. i am not crazy about their record, though live it was quite nice, but becky stark is truly a strange bird, and hence my fascination...

Savage Clone 04.30.2007 07:14 PM

Yeah, I can see that. Your grasp of the English language is clearly pathetic.

!@#$%! 04.30.2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Yeah, I can see that. Your grasp of the English language is clearly pathetic.

ha ha, it's true. one of the reasons i never got into pavement...

the ear for phonetics tends to end its development at an early age i'm afraid. ay Haff a theeek aXXent.

pbradley 04.30.2007 07:17 PM

I'm surprised by how many Nirvana fans are on here. Typically I'm surrounded by people that really hate them and I find myself defending them. But I'm not that big of a fan, some stuff is okay but I find just as much of it boring.

MellySingsDoom 04.30.2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Frampton Comes Alive! is a great album.

:p:p

k-krack 04.30.2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
- I like At The Drive-In's later albums.

...uh... what's uncommon about this? Or so you mean earlier... Because everyone loves Relationship and Vaya...

And in refernce to NMH... NONONONONONONONO!!! One of the gretest bands, pitchfork or no pitxchfork!!! Seriously good band, great lyrics, contrary to lux... great music, and pioneers of lo-fi indie-rock.

pbradley 04.30.2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
...uh... what's uncommon about this? Or so you mean earlier... Because everyone loves Relationship and Vaya...

Not everyone loves Relationship and Vaya. ATDI are generally unpopular with with the crowd that I usually deal with. They're usually too "indie superior" for post-hardcore bands. The "neo-folk" hipster crowd is a common sight in san francisco.