Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 01:31 PM

I actually hated it when I watched it.

Then, I watched it again years later with a friend and loved it.

It's actually pretty disturbing.......

MellySingsDoom 07.10.2008 01:33 PM

atsonicpark - since we're talking about HG Lewis, what do you think of "Two Thousand Maniacs"?

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 01:38 PM

I'm not sure what to think of it. There wasn't that much gore in it, but I think it was hilarious. It's still amongst his best films, but I think it's a bit overrated.

I actually enjoyed the sequel/remake though...

!@#$%! 07.10.2008 01:38 PM

tetsuo the iron man is available on netflix as are most of tsukamotos movies

does this work?
http://www.netflix.com/RoleDisplay/S...sukamoto/93899

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 01:39 PM

I've only seen H.G. Lewis's big films (Blood Feast 1 and 2, Color Me Blood Red, 2000 Maniacs, She-Devils on Wheels, Something Weird, A Taste of Blood, Gore Gore Girls, Wizard of Gore, and Gruesome Twosome) but I really enjoy his directing.. his films have a very weird and interesting look to them... especially the blood which is always REALLY red. His characters always seem like cardboard cutouts. He's pretty awesome. I need to check out his other, "lesser" (I guess...?) works.

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 01:41 PM

Regarding Tsukamoto: Tokyo Fist and Tetsuo II aren't available on netflix, I had to get those on VHS. Which is a shame because Tokyo Fist is my favorite.

Haze isn't available at all..

His early short films "Electric Rod Boy" and the amazing "Phantom of Regular size" (which is kind of like a Tetsuo 0 or something) are on youtube.

As far as his films go that are available on netflix, I'd definitely reccomend the amazing Gemini and a Snake of June. Bullet Ballet's kind of a mess but it's pretty aweosme. Hiruko the Goblin sucks. And Nightmare Detective sucked too..

His movies were the first ones I bothered with after getting netflix.

!@#$%! 07.10.2008 01:45 PM

yeah those that say "save" arent available but they put you on a waitlist for when they appear

greencine claims to have tetsuo 2 & tokyo fist & vital

http://www.greencine.com/character?pid=10742

i used to have greencine but fuck are they slow

MellySingsDoom 07.10.2008 01:45 PM

I like the music on a lot of Lewis' films, and yeah, I think Herschell was always far more interested in his blood and gore effects rather than the actors per se. I still haven't seen his "Mother Goose" exploitation film, or the one called "Bo-oi-ii-i-ng!!!". "She-Devils..." and "Gore Gore Girls" are great, but I have to admit I was really bored by "Color Me Blood Red".

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 01:47 PM

Yeah, it's a tad slow.. well, most of his films are.. but it had good atmosphere.

Did you see Blood Feast 2? It's a bit too aware of its badness, as I said on the other page. Still hilarious to hear SWEET LOAF by Butthole Surfers playing during murder scenes.

MellySingsDoom 07.10.2008 01:50 PM

No, I haven't seen that, as it happens - I should really check it out at some point, no matter how silly it turns out to be.

Rob Instigator 07.10.2008 02:58 PM

When I saw tetsuo Iron man around age 19 I did not enjoy it, because I was on three hits of dollar bill acid and it just freaked me out terribly. too harsh for the lsd!

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 03:58 PM

Damn.. I need some LSD......

Tokolosh 07.10.2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I've yet to meet a Svankmajer movie I didn't like anyway.

I've got The World of Jan Svankmajer on VHS which contains 6 of his short films between 64-89.
One of the best stop-motion animation filmmakers ever.

Watched Thesis last night. This and Abre los ojos are Amenábar's best films.

ithinkimissyou 07.10.2008 05:56 PM

I watched the entire series of Smileys People back to back.

It was good.

Yes not a movie, but.. I have a tie in..

They're remaking Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy into a bigscreen movie :(

Rob Instigator 07.11.2008 08:26 AM

IN Bruges

I liked it very much and it left me feeling crazy

terriblecanyons 07.11.2008 08:43 AM

i watched unfaithful a while ago and it waw s kind of disturbing but the french guy was hot.

Sonic Youth 37 07.11.2008 08:31 PM

Rushmore

schizophrenicroom 07.11.2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
i watched unfaithful a while ago and it waw s kind of disturbing but the french guy was hot.

yes!

rushmore is one of my favorite movies.

last thing i watched was 10 things i hate about you, and i know it's not a movie, but six hours of arrested development.

Sonic Youth 37 07.11.2008 10:35 PM

Rushmore is a classic. Bill Murray ftw.

After Rushmore I watched like fifteen minutes of Tank Girl.

schizophrenicroom 07.11.2008 10:36 PM

i've always wished for him to do a movie with philip seymour hoffman so i could just yell "ftw! ftw!" the entire 90 minutes.

i have no idea where my rushmore dvd is and that upsets me.

after 10 things, my siblings wanted to do a heath ledger marathon but we came to a consensus that we'd just end up crying.