Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

The Soup Nazi 05.21.2015 03:04 PM

The Soup Nazi 05.21.2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
You'll all have to stop me if I ever write anything that's "poorly researched." I write brief summaries of albums-- mostly from artists that I know quite well-- and I post them informally on an internet discussion board, along with a number of people who do the exact same thing.

I don't *research* every entry I make in the "What Are You Listening to?" thread. In fact, I don't research any of them. Why would I? How much time do you think I have, Genteel, to put into SYG posts?

I've made a living doing archival, observational, demographic/social and scientific research, and I'm damn good at it.
Are you sure you don't mean "fact-checking"... Still, pretty asinine, but at least I can imagine a scenario in which what you're saying might be true.

Next time I talk about why I like MBDTF more than The College Dropout, I'll be sure to include APA formatted citations of peer reviewed journal entries that provide supporting evidence for my arguments. Hopefully this will prove that I'm not just, y'know, writing whatever pops into my head (which of course, I am).

Severian 05.21.2015 07:54 PM

Ugh. I can't believe I'm even replying to your bating & bullshit. I know damn well that you just like fucking with me.

Is it ok with everyone if I go ahead and post whatever I want to post? I don't feel like stopping because anyone thinks it's dumb. I'm not even sure what specific posts your bitching about... I don't post fucking *reviews*

Anyway if you don't like, feel free to not read it.

!@#$%! 05.21.2015 08:16 PM

but instead of being a whole high school class it's just 4 people

brilliant

Severian 05.21.2015 08:47 PM

Hey, I'm retracting my comments, so update your count.

I'm listening to this, by the way.

!@#$%! 05.21.2015 10:50 PM

Quote:

Hey, I'm retracting my comments, so update your count.

I'm listening to this, by the way.

i demand more journalistic clichés and tedious generalizations, por favor.

i've never found much usefulness in posts with only picture covers-- i don't know what the fuck they stand for or what they're trying to say.

so, kindly continue. at least a couple of us will read while others fume.

btw this doesn't mean i agree with everything you say, but talk is more entertaining than record cover copypasta.

Severian 05.22.2015 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i demand more journalistic clichés and tedious generalizations, por favor.

i've never found much usefulness in posts with only picture covers-- i don't know what the fuck they stand for or what they're trying to say.

so, kindly continue. at least a couple of us will read while others fume.

btw this doesn't mean i agree with everything you say, but talk is more entertaining than record cover copypasta.

More beat shit. This time from Japan. And despite being almost indistinguishable from beat music from anywhere else, it's a decent, satisfying listen.

Preview it on Spotify or the Cold Busted website. If you want to.

Severian 05.22.2015 07:29 AM

Now this

... (it's Aphex Twin)

rebeccagotcursedout 05.22.2015 12:27 PM

it's FX twin

tartar mustard cocktail - do the salsa!!

bob Dylan - Nashville skyline

h8kurdt 05.22.2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

I've had this stuck in my head all fucking day because of this picture! Twat.

greenlight 05.22.2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Jim O'Rourke - Simple Songs

It's like going back in time. From the opening chords of the first track, the similarities between this album and Jim's "dumb pop" experiments, Insignificance & Eureka, is uncanny. And like those albums, the poured on sentiment and melancholy of the music might as well be sincere, because even though we all fucking know better, Jim O'Rourke is just too good at this shit, and the songs end up breaking your heart anyway.

Possible album of the year contender.

cheers for the reminder! new Jim O'Rourke's album! nice.

rebeccagotcursedout 05.22.2015 01:43 PM

Jim O'Rourke and Kermit the frog. who knew? together finally!!!!!

The Soup Nazi 05.22.2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Rob Instigator 05.22.2015 02:10 PM

The Soup Nazi 05.22.2015 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Well, mine came eight years earlier. Just sayin'.
:D

!@#$%! 05.22.2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

yes, exactly my point.

sort of reminds me of people who travel to places so they can take pictures.

or the soldiers in that hilarious godard movie, "les carabiniers", where they show their wives a bunch of postcards

that someone post a picture of a cover of a record tells me absolutely nothing about that record except that a person just posted a picture of its cover on a forum. might be great, might be shit, might not even have been heard.

i.e., useless. like a facebook status update. "wearing checkered socks today."

Rob Instigator 05.22.2015 02:52 PM

"it wasn't a glove originally, believe me!"

!@#$%! 05.22.2015 02:52 PM

btw, im wearing no socks.

The Soup Nazi 05.22.2015 03:14 PM

Quote:

might be great, might be shit

There's this new thingumybob called The Googles - you can just drag and drop the image into this page and you'll most likely know what the dealie-o is. Yes, it's nice when the post includes a comment about the record, as long as it's AN ORIGINAL THOUGHT (the rarest element in the universe) AND NOT SOME EXCRUCIATINGLY ENDLESS GODDAMN BABBLE WHICH DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE JACK SHIT TO ANYTHING.

Make every sentence matter in order to make a compelling point and then I'll give a flying fuck. Probably.

!@#$%! 05.22.2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

There's this new thingumybob called The Googles - you can just drag and drop the image into this page and you'll most likely know what the dealie-o is. Yes, it's nice when the post includes a comment about the record, as long as it's AN ORIGINAL THOUGHT (the rarest element in the universe) AND NOT SOME EXCRUCIATINGLY ENDLESS GODDAMN BABBLE WHICH DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE JACK SHIT TO ANYTHING.

Make every sentence matter in order to make a compelling point and then I'll give a flying fuck. Probably.

if one should only speak when uttering original thoughts then everyone needs to shut the fuck up right now and then forever

but that's not practical is it?

so i'd rather have babble from people i know than a ritualistic display of pokemon cards-- just my preference.

status update: STATING A PREFERENCE

STATUS UPDATE: SITTING

The Soup Nazi 05.22.2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

if one should only speak when uttering original thoughts then everyone needs to shut the fuck up right now and then forever

:D

evollove 05.22.2015 05:06 PM

If you like the Beach Boys, then you'll love....

It's like X meets Y.

The rhythms are angular. The guitars are sinewy.

It's the best album of the year.

Their entire career has been leading to this point.

Majestic.

If you don't love this, check for a pulse!

Rocks so hard, it could wake the dead!

Instant classic. (<--------my personal fav)

Severian 05.22.2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

You must be very disappointed by everything you've ever read, then.

I'm kinda getting that want your posts to read like experimental research reports, yes? Just hard numbers? Death to nuance, subtlety, etc. Just write the bare minimum, but do so while also reading your mind and catering to your opinion of what counts?

Maybe you should be a statistician. They tend to be excellent reporters, and very efficient writers.

But they're terrible creative writers, and even worse improv partners... can't do adlibs for shit. Oh, and you're more likely to get an "original thought" from an oyster.

Also- you seem to be on quite a tight schedule to be so infuriated by "excruciatingly endless babble." A good way to avoid wasting valuable time, and not contributing jack shit to anything is to NOT whine and complain and "YELL" and kick and stomp and throw temper tantrums... y'know?

I really don't understand why the Internet Asshole is still a thing in 2015. Must be a scavenger. Or possibly a parasite that feeds off of the shit we talk when we forget that we're not in high school anymore.

You're better than this SoupNazi.

!@#$%! 05.22.2015 05:48 PM

status update: in caffeine withdrawal

just before anyone things i'm picking on this thread, i have the same problem with the movie thread-- people post pictures of movies they apparently have seen. no comment, no explanation, nothing. i don't see the point.

my response to such posts usually tends to be something along the lines of "so how was it?"

cuz otherwise it would just be "oh look, you posted a picture!"

i mean, when you bring up a movie with your friends it's usually to talk about it and have fun doing that. otherwise it's just like the "did you read it" skit in portlandia.

status update: wanting a beer

status update: thinking about portlandia

https://youtu.be/6JLWQEuz2gA

well at least he says "did not like the end of it"

(and i did not like the end of that either)

The Soup Nazi 05.22.2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

You must be very disappointed by everything you've ever read, then.

I'm kinda getting that want your posts to read like experimental research reports, yes? Just hard numbers? Death to nuance, subtlety, etc. Just write the bare minimum, but do so while also reading your mind and catering to your opinion of what counts?

Maybe you should be a statistician. They tend to be excellent reporters, and very efficient writers.

But they're terrible creative writers, and even worse improv partners... can't do adlibs for shit. Oh, and you're more likely to get an "original thought" from an oyster.

Also- you seem to be on quite a tight schedule to be so infuriated by "excruciatingly endless babble." A good way to avoid wasting valuable time, and not contributing jack shit to anything is to NOT whine and complain and "YELL" and kick and stomp and throw temper tantrums... y'know?

I really don't understand why the Internet Asshole is still a thing in 2015. Must be a scavenger. Or possibly a parasite that feeds off of the shit we talk when we forget that we're not in high school anymore.

You're better than this SoupNazi.

This is an egregious misreading of what I said and a truly warped vision of the relation between depth and length. But you're kinda right in the sense that I should know better: never to engage proves once again to be the best policy.

!@#$%! 05.22.2015 06:29 PM

Quote:

This is an egregious misreading of what I said and a truly warped vision of the relation between depth and length. But you're kinda right in the sense that I should know better: never to engage proves once again to be the best policy.

i'm curious as to why you had to try & shit on him in the first place.

genteel death i understand-- he has his moods.

but were you two feuding previously or something?

(i do remember after our zeppelin discussion you complained of the blabla as if it was bad, but i don't remember you insulting anyone before)

ANYWAY

it's friday night and i best fuck off.

The Soup Nazi 05.22.2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

but were you two feuding previously or something?

Feuds are for douchebags like the Gallagher brothers or... I dunno, Taylor Swift vs Katy Perry or some such bullcrap.

Mortte Jousimo 05.23.2015 12:14 AM

Narcissism, a sickness of our time.

rebeccagotcursedout 05.23.2015 01:09 AM

all depressed and shit hunched over sitting on a log. muthafucka be lookin like Kermit da Frog and sheit. bahahaha!!!

sheeeitt!! dat nigga fuked up.

guest 05.23.2015 02:18 AM

[word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word]

Genteel Death 05.23.2015 07:12 AM

Quote:

genteel death i understand-- he has his moods.

You're missing the point. I genuinely think Severian's music writing is rubbish and pretentious. I don't have a problem with people writing their thoughts on the music they are listening to at all . Why would I?

Genteel Death 05.23.2015 07:14 AM

!@#$%! 05.23.2015 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
You're missing the point. I genuinely think Severian's music writing is rubbish and pretentious. I don't have a problem with people writing their thoughts on the music they are listening to at all . Why would I?

i never meant that wasn't your honest opinion-- it's just how you gave it to him both barrels that sounded.. very impatient.

everyone else just took the chance to gang up on him afterwards-- in the name of autism, or who knows what.

Mortte Jousimo 05.23.2015 08:24 AM

Quote:

i never meant that wasn't your honest opinion-- it's just how you gave it to him both barrels.

everyone else just took the chance to gang up on him afterwards-- in the name of autism, or who knows what.

I think this started to go to odd direction after Severin started defense himself after Genteel´s comment. I think the original issue was is Severin good critic or not. And because Genteel, I & Soup were thinking he might not, this seemed to be very narcissist insult to him. I think there is nobody who´s asked him to stop writing in SYG. Hey really, if he wants to become a critic what he cares about what somebodies saying in SYG? I still thinks he might not be a good critic, but there are really bad critics already in the music magazines etc.

And I haven´t been in any gang ever in SYG. I very rare even read Severians posts, because we have very different music taste mostly. The reason of my comment is that he generalises seventies music when remembering there only the Who, Beefheart, Stooges, Bowie, Zeppelin, Floyd & some after `76 stuff. If he really want to become a good critic, I think he should listen much more seventies & sixties music. But that just my opinion, I can believe there are critics who knows only 1990-2010 music.

And what I think honestly is great in Severian is his enthusiasm of music. I love also the music I listen passionately. I think it´s not bad think if this kind of thing will be more in SYG. And you cynical bastards who think I am naive, you can kiss my ass.

!@#$%! 05.23.2015 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I think this started to go to odd direction after Severin started defense himself after Genteel´s comment. I think the original issue was is Severin good critic or not. And because Genteel, I & Soup were thinking he might not, this seemed to be very narcissist insult to him. I think there is nobody who´s asked him to stop writing in SYG. Hey really, if he wants to become a critic what he cares about what somebodies saying in SYG? I still thinks he might not be a good critic, but there are really bad critics already in the music magazines etc.

And I haven´t been in any gang ever in SYG. I very rare even read Severians posts, because we have very different music taste mostly. The reason of my comment is that he generalises seventies music when remembering there only the Who, Beefheart, Stooges, Bowie, Zeppelin, Floyd & some after `76 stuff. If he really want to become a good critic, I think he should listen much more seventies & sixties music. But that just my opinion, I can believe there are critics who knows only 1990-2010 music.

And what I think honestly is great in Severian is his enthusiasm of music. I love also the music I listen passionately. I think it´s not bad think if this kind of thing will be more in SYG. And you cynical bastards who think I am naive, you can kiss my ass.

i think you misunderstood the expression "gang up", but language barriers aside, that's a good answer

Severian 05.23.2015 12:33 PM

Honestly what pissed me off is that I never said I was good at writing about music. I actually expressed a sincere disgust for the generic nature of my write-ups. I need re-read anything O write about music and think, "damn, that's good stuff!"

And I made that clear. I didn't defend my "music writing." I actually said NO ONE was defending it, and in about 3 seconds I'm going to mention (for the third time) that I actually used the word "hate" to express my feelings about things I wrote regarding Knxwledge. So... There's really no reason for anything more to be said. The fact that people are still making snide remarks just makes it seem like I'm surrounded by people who luxuriate in Internet "flame wars."

Severian 05.23.2015 12:54 PM

Genteel Death does, of course, seem to genuinely enjoy just talking shit and saying negative things without provocation and for no reason. He told me once that he didn't have a "problem with me" (wow, thanks so much for congratulating yourself by assuming that I care), and that he "just likes fucking with me" or some such.

All he had to do was plant a seed, and sit back and watch while others, with whom I've never had so much as a disagreement, practically line up to water the fucker for him.

Mortte, Soup Nazi, whoever else left all reason in their other pants and followed Genteel's lead... You lot are *never* this bloodthirsty. Nobody on SYG is, except for Mr. Death, who's just bored and never outgrew the impulse to point at people and laugh.

I like this board because very few people here get their kicks by shitting on others.

But I don't care if anyone thinks my writing is bad. Say it, if you must, and then shut up. And watch out for assholes who are just trying to stir the pot. Ugliness is ugliness, wherever it takes place. Fighting is stupid, and "ganging up" on people is shameful.

Now for fuck's sake, can we just talk about what we're listening to?

!@#$%! 05.23.2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest

[word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word] [word]

dammit man... needs punctuation!

evollove 05.23.2015 01:20 PM

Van Halen - Tokyo Dome Live in Concert (2015)

Original lineup. Technically proficient, morally odious people making thumping songs about fucking. Although there are important differences, it kept reminding me of Led Zep.

I'll give it to Eddie: his playing was/is massively influential. The wankery is mostly not for me, but millions choose to differ.

I wish I liked more than three songs. Seems like a fun band.

!@#$%! 05.23.2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
[IMG]Technically proficient, morally odious people making thumping songs about fucking.

i think the original meaning of the 40's slang term "rock'n'roll" was actually "fucking," and this music at its root was supposed to awaken all kinds of lower instincts, with pedophiles like jerry lee lewis and elvis presley among its earlier stars, but you're right, in the post-minor-threat era they're dinosaurs-- good for places like biker bars maybe.

wait, this is a 2015 album? :eek:

i'm gonna play it on spotify due to a case of terminal curiosity

ps- i'm in the first minute of it. starts very boring. sounds horrible. turning it off now.

pps- my wife just walked in and asked "what was that horrible music?" ha ha ha