Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I want to get beaten (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=24584)

MellySingsDoom 06.11.2009 03:21 PM

Yeah, it's OK - not the best thing in the world, but certainly worth it for the many action and battle scenes.

al shabbray 06.11.2009 03:25 PM

yes, the big screen to pump up the action, thats what I wanted to hear :)
how is christian bale in there?
I tend to like him pretty much as an actor (not because of batman, hahaha)

nicfit 06.11.2009 03:26 PM

uuuuuh just got the 100x75 prints of those "faces" i posted in that other artsy thread! ubercool
hi MELLY!!!

al shabbray 06.11.2009 03:27 PM

aaaaah damn. how much would you charge for a copy of one of these? I would really like to have one framed in my appartment...

MellySingsDoom 06.11.2009 03:39 PM

al shabb - Christian Bale is actually rather low-key in this - I can't say much more, as it'll spoil the film for you otherwise.
nicfit - Hi there!!!

al shabbray 06.11.2009 03:40 PM

okay, I understad.
maybe I will watch it the next days in my local cinema.
but unfortunately I am hooked by 80ies action films at the moment

btw...
I uploaded a new track on my myspace player called "how precious you are".
I mixed it pretty "far away". I was wondering if it sounds good or not. its supposed to be roomy but not too roomy, every opinion bout that would be appreciated!
http://www.myspace.com/catsleeph

nicfit 06.11.2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al shabbray
aaaaah damn. how much would you charge for a copy of one of these? I would really like to have one framed in my appartment...

A signed copy would be around 250 euros :D

ha ha kiddin'...I have no idea...how's someone supposed to set the price for things like those??:confused::confused::eek:

nicfit 06.11.2009 04:00 PM

I like the song al!
Perhaps I'd add a monotone low-ish saturated sound in the background for the whole duration, like an octave lower than the 3rd note of the chords progression. There's some "noise" going on with a similar filling effect, but still..

I don't like much the "piano" at 2:45, though, seems to try a bit too hard to be "not correct/melodic", I can't express this better....

sounds "spacious and spacey", but not exxxaggerated imo.
like.

_slavo_ 06.12.2009 12:58 AM

Quote:

how far away is prague for you? always wanted to visit that city...

3 hours by car on the highway.
Around 400 kms.

SYRFox 06.12.2009 01:21 AM

hi everyone. have a good day :)

_slavo_ 06.12.2009 01:28 AM

bonjour fox :)

MellySingsDoom 06.12.2009 04:22 AM

Good morning everybody :)

al - I like you new tune, it reminds me of driving around at night on deserted streets - a nice and nocturnal feel. I like the xylophone-like percussive melody that runs through the tune as well.

ZEROpumpkins 06.12.2009 04:26 AM

Does the word "fuckmuppet" and Rob's blog have anything to do with each other?

verme (prevaricator) 06.12.2009 07:27 AM

playtime is over this weekend.
four fucking busy weeks ahead.
wish me luck, i need to pull this off.

_slavo_ 06.12.2009 07:51 AM

what's that you do, jico?

_slavo_ 06.12.2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

btw...
I uploaded a new track on my myspace player called "how precious you are".
I mixed it pretty "far away". I was wondering if it sounds good or not. its supposed to be roomy but not too roomy, every opinion bout that would be appreciated!
http://www.myspace.com/catsleeph

I love that tune, al tonno.
Very unsettling, very hypnotic and all that.
I'm curious, what sound sources did you use to lay the tracks down onto your 8track?

al shabbray 06.12.2009 10:55 AM

first of all, thanks to everybody for listening and tell me your opinions about it, highly appreciated.

@slavo:
simple answer, the whole track is out of the same synth, its a no name minimoog replica, just smaller :), run through a bunch of my lil noisemakers to differ the result.
the drums are recorded ages ago when I get nearby to a drumkit in a bands space around town. I chopped them and then played them into the 8 track and looped parts of it.
I never use foreign samples. it should be done all by myself. its no ideology, just a thing I did from the start

_slavo_ 06.12.2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

I never use foreign samples. it should be done all by myself. its no ideology, just a thing I did from the start

me neither. I once used Vietnamese samples and they've gone all moldy after a couple of days.

al shabbray 06.12.2009 12:04 PM

hahahah
exactly thats what Ive ment :)

al shabbray 06.18.2009 04:10 AM

fuck dammit, I fried the HD of my 8track. that sucks big times, a lot of unfinished sounds/tracks are gone up in smoke.
I cant tell how much it sucks...
another time to recall how important backups are, when it comes to digital media

nicfit 06.18.2009 04:37 AM

define:"fried"

al shabbray 06.18.2009 05:48 AM

its gone...
when it boots the first thing it does is to check the HD, normally it would go into standard idle mode if I dont do anything, but instead it says: internal HDD error.
I cant format it cause the error kills the whole system, before I can go into the formatting menu...
that sucks, will put the HD onto my mac when I got some time maybe I can rescue some data, but I think it wont work...
btw its a standalone zoom mrs802cd 8 track recorder

al shabbray 06.19.2009 03:30 AM

I am sitting at home. waiting for the super marios to install some stuff at my water supply. that sucks big times, I need to go to university today. but if I would have skipped this I would have to pay 60 euros I dont have...so a lil bit of diving in the deep blue and sipping on some nice cameroonian coffee. thats goooood

_slavo_ 06.19.2009 03:57 AM

hey there al,
I've got my tickets for Depeche Mode, I'm seeing them next Monday!
Sooo excited now. nefeli, if you're reading this, I hope they'll do a gig in Athens, instead of the one that had been cancelled, at last.

al shabbray 06.19.2009 04:05 AM

good morning slavo.
I wish you a good time at the DM gig. I bet it will be a nice experience. I am diggin their recent video so much, it fits the song perfectly!!

btw. if you havent read it, the harddisc of my 8track is gone up in smoke. so maybe that will delay our collabo-thingy a lil bit...

nicfit 06.19.2009 04:16 AM

AZAZELLO!

al shabbray 06.19.2009 04:18 AM

@nefeli: gooooood morning!!!
@nicfit: what the hell is azazello? btw I love your sig

general: the marios bros arrived, and my appartment looks like hell, hahaha

_slavo_ 06.19.2009 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
AND of course, i never got to see merzbow the other day!:( the cancellation was announced only the day before and i found out about it the same day.

whut? the noise titan got scared of swine flu again?

al shabbray 06.19.2009 04:20 AM

ah crap, I know how t feels to miss merzbow. he played 2 years ago like in my neighbourhood and I heard about it 3 days too late

_slavo_ 06.19.2009 04:24 AM

Quote:

ah crap, I know how t feels to miss merzbow. he played 2 years ago like in my neighbourhood and I heard about it 3 days too late

so you thought all the noize were just car crashing across your street, ha?

al shabbray 06.19.2009 04:25 AM

no I wasnt around that day. he played in a museum of modern art. so a really really small and private venue. where some time to chat would have been into reach too.

al shabbray 06.19.2009 10:08 AM

^î can feel that. theres nothing worse then missing smth you love

SYRFox 06.20.2009 04:46 PM

shabbray have you heard the nosaj thing album?? it's awesome! i'm fucking addicted to it. cheap glitch hop whatever, anyway it's really great. on the first listen i thought it sympathetic, but now i can't get it out of my mind. i think you would enjoy it, you should check it out.

al shabbray 06.21.2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
shabbray have you heard the nosaj thing album?? it's awesome! i'm fucking addicted to it. cheap glitch hop whatever, anyway it's really great. on the first listen i thought it sympathetic, but now i can't get it out of my mind. i think you would enjoy it, you should check it out.

sounds perfect to me. will have a youtube listen right now!!!
thanks for that

edit: "coat of arms" is my favourite so, great tune. love the compressor work, its really flying lotus style compressing.

btw what do you mena by cheap? :)

SYRFox 06.21.2009 01:55 PM

hmm i mean cheap about the sounds used. they sound a bit like chiptune/8-bit music to me - which is a neat thing!

al shabbray 06.21.2009 01:59 PM

yeah, i think he used a lot of bitcrushing. theres a lot of this bad resoluted swirl above the basslines and stuff like that. I dig that :)
I am through my second listen now, and I really like it?
I am too lazy too google, is he from the L.A. gang, like dabrye, flyLo, samiyam and all those?

SYRFox 06.21.2009 02:03 PM

He's from L.A. indeed. There was one video of him in the "40 bands 80 minutes" DVD which was released a few years ago; he was also featured on the HEALTH remix album (and one of the only few to provide a good remix...).

I never heard anything by Dabrye nor Samiyam unfortunately - though I've heard about them. I love Flying Lotus though. I'll check Dabrye and Samiyam - I'm getting into those kind of sounds lately

al shabbray 06.21.2009 02:56 PM

dabrye is absolutely great. samiyam is a lil bit too stoned sometimes, I think you will know what I mean after listening to them

SYRFox 06.21.2009 03:26 PM

I'll check them for sure. My exams are going to end on Wednesday, then I'll have two months of holidays to do whatever I want :)

al shabbray 06.21.2009 04:44 PM

btw fox, I dunno if I ever recommended you prefuse 73, hes on warp two and got the highest output of them all under different aliases. but the one who fits perfectly in this discussion is prefuse 73. especially his first two albums are mindblasting things somewhere between gltich-hop, ambient and idm in general. unbelieb´vably good