Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.04.2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

I have avoided LA like the plague since the mid '90s. Last time I was there I flew threw, had a layover, caught an Angels game, and bounced the next morning. I have no interest in that city.

If you went to an Angels game you most certainly weren't in Los Angeles, though give us time, we're taking over the OC too ;)

You're smart to stay away, half of the ten million people who live here weren't born in LA. This city is a magnetic trap of a bizarre parallel dimension. You can't leave, or escape, shit, it doesn't even cross your mind that such a possibility exists. Does it? Sometimes you decide to leave, but then those plans become hazy, distant, and suddenly more like a foggy memory, a thought temporarily captured between sleeping and waking. Yes, stay away. You've been properly forewarned, if you come here for too long, you will never leave.

sonic sphere 07.05.2013 11:04 AM

Rob Instigator 07.05.2013 11:13 AM

Rob Instigator 07.05.2013 12:06 PM

sonic sphere 07.05.2013 01:56 PM

Bytor Peltor 07.05.2013 03:28 PM

_tunic_ 07.07.2013 02:57 AM

_tunic_ 07.07.2013 07:45 AM

neighbors are listening to this again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofs5iDYvSCg

seems like they only have one CD ...

Antagon 07.07.2013 08:27 AM

Toilet & Bowels 07.08.2013 03:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzKvxvWgKxU

Some really great 60s garage

sonic sphere 07.08.2013 01:57 PM

stu666 07.08.2013 02:18 PM

chocolate_ladyland 07.08.2013 02:21 PM

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.08.2013 11:21 PM

This is a fantastic album. Even better than Mazzy Star material, ALMOST better than So Tonight That I Might See..

stu666 07.09.2013 03:27 PM

shallow27 07.09.2013 05:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j898GLN75pg

Noise Apocalypse

EVOLghost 07.09.2013 06:38 PM

moskitoo-drape

Severian 07.10.2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

If you went to an Angels game you most certainly weren't in Los Angeles, though give us time, we're taking over the OC too ;)

You're smart to stay away, half of the ten million people who live here weren't born in LA. This city is a magnetic trap of a bizarre parallel dimension. You can't leave, or escape, shit, it doesn't even cross your mind that such a possibility exists. Does it? Sometimes you decide to leave, but then those plans become hazy, distant, and suddenly more like a foggy memory, a thought temporarily captured between sleeping and waking. Yes, stay away. You've been properly forewarned, if you come here for too long, you will never leave.

Wow. That sounds terrifying, but was also very eloquent, and almost poetic. Nice.

I've been to LA a number of times. Actual LA. When I was younger I spent a lot of time in California, and hanging out in LA is inescapable. But eventually, one has a hard time breathing. It's just not my type of city. Of the major metropolitan areas, I can handle Chicago, NYC, Boston and San Fran... Even Philadelphia. And I'm totally at home in smaller cities like Seattle and Portland, which are just the right size. LA is more like Detroit at this point. Just a massive, ugly, never ending expanse of potential causes of death and people who look like zombies. The air is toxic, and the "culture" is completely washed out by violence and poverty. I am a lover of big cities, but I do not get that "ah, smell that big city air!" Feeling in LA. Just a sense of foreboding that sticks with me like the codeine itches every time I'm close by.

So I'll support the Angels, and maybe even hit up Disneyland someday, but never LA again.

Antagon 07.10.2013 01:02 PM

Shadow Project - Forever Came Today

Rob Instigator 07.10.2013 01:15 PM

Antagon 07.10.2013 02:33 PM

The Sound - Party Of The Mind

Severian 07.10.2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

This album has been praised by just about everyone I know, including non Bowie fans. I have yet to read a negative review of it, and it's probably going to win awards and push Bowie into a new creative era... But man, I think it's pretty damn boring.

I must be the only one, so clearly I'm full of shit. Starry eyed over the mere idea of the album, I played it a lot at first, but I just don't think it sounds like a Bowie album. It reminds me of those comeback albums by classic artists that ran rampant in the late '90s; designed to make Neil Diamond cool like Johnny Cash.

I'm a Bowie fan. I go through phases of outright fanaticism, usually revolving around his '70s and early '80s output. Station to Station is one of my favorite records of all time, period. So is Low. I listen to the Earthling remixes more regularly than anyone I've ever encountered. But I just can't really get with this one. Then again, it's hard to find a great Bowie album that doesn't sound like his worst to at least some of his fans.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.10.2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

But man, I think it's pretty damn boring.

I must be the only one, so clearly I'm full of shit.

BBC's arts editor Will Gompertz said the exact same thing (literally, he called it "almost boring"), but with the caveat of its good that bowie can just make a mediocre album in the first place. Every album an artist puts out shouldn't have to be epic, phenomenal, or historic, if anything that negates the power of their best works.

I think Bowie really never had a truly epic record so much as had some damn great singles and tunes that are on decent albums.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.10.2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Feeling in LA. Just a sense of foreboding that sticks with me like the codeine itches every time I'm close by.

So I'll support the Angels, and maybe even hit up Disneyland someday, but never LA again.

Sounds about right. Foreboding is EXACTLY how I often describe Los Angeles. Its well reflected in our music.

You have to get used that foreboding and learn to enjoy it like a drug, that and you have to learn to readjust your psyche to include vast and seemingly insurmountable territories. You have to concede that, fuck geography, even places 40 or 50 miles apart are all mutually Los Angeles. This is hard to do for many people not well experienced in this geographical dyslexia, but it is our own.

Bytor Peltor 07.10.2013 08:24 PM

Bytor Peltor 07.10.2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

This album has been praised by just about everyone I know, including non Bowie fans. I have yet to read a negative review of it, and it's probably going to win awards and push Bowie into a new creative era... But man, I think it's pretty damn boring.

I must be the only one, so clearly I'm full of shit. Starry eyed over the mere idea of the album, I played it a lot at first, but I just don't think it sounds like a Bowie album. It reminds me of those comeback albums by classic artists that ran rampant in the late '90s; designed to make Neil Diamond cool like Johnny Cash.

I'm a Bowie fan. I go through phases of outright fanaticism, usually revolving around his '70s and early '80s output. Station to Station is one of my favorite records of all time, period. So is Low. I listen to the Earthling remixes more regularly than anyone I've ever encountered. But I just can't really get with this one. Then again, it's hard to find a great Bowie album that doesn't sound like his worst to at least some of his fans.

I really enjoyed your take on the new Bowie album. I too played it all the time after purchasing it the day it was released. Then, after a solid month or so of heavy listening, I haven't listened to it in over two months.

Being a fellow Bowie fan, I'm curious as to your take on the album cover? For whatever reason, it bothers me more than anything???

After the "big push" leading up to the release, I haven't heard much about Bowie or the album since a 7" was released for Record Store Day.

Severian 07.12.2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Marquee Moon

very sad album.:( but a very very favorite.

Of all the words one could use to describe that album, sad is not one that would come to mind for me. I'm not saying you're wrong, I've just never thought about it that way myself.

pad_023 07.12.2013 06:53 AM

Rob Instigator 07.12.2013 08:51 AM

pony 07.12.2013 10:32 AM

tripsk 07.13.2013 08:24 AM

queue for transatlantic alien - daisy chainsaw

_tunic_ 07.13.2013 10:52 AM

Genteel Death 07.14.2013 09:58 AM

Fucked up and wonderful.
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/CA...IQUE_DE_SATAN/

me. 07.14.2013 03:44 PM

this little snippet of Natsumen, and then will check out more...

Antagon 07.14.2013 05:07 PM

Rowland S. Howard - (I Know) A Girl Called Jonny

Genteel Death 07.15.2013 07:35 AM

Alone in the office all of this week and it's dead, so I am playing various tracks off my mp3 player from the following artists:

18:e Oktober
Baby 63
Beta Evers
Cheetah Crome Motherfuckers
Cigarettes
Doo Rag
Graham Lambkin
Human Eye
Joh Wesley Coleman
Les Rallizes Denudes
Martin Rev
Chickins