Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

The Earl Of Slander 05.11.2009 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku

That makes me kind of wish I'd bought Paul's Boutique on vinyl. I'll go for LP when I get around to Check Your Head.

The Earl Of Slander 05.12.2009 01:06 PM

Further additions to my fast-growing collection of hip-hop:

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...

Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords

Dr. Dre

Oh yeah. Looking forward to getting my teeth into these babies...

I also spent some time convincing myself that I in fact did not need to buy DOOM - Born Like This on double LP only two months after I bought it on CD.

noisereductions 05.12.2009 03:02 PM

Cam'ron - Crime Pays
Depeche Mode - Sounds Of The Universe

noisereductions 05.12.2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander

Dr. Dre

Oh yeah. Looking forward to getting my teeth into these babies...

3 pretty much perfect albums.

demonrail666 05.12.2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Dr. Dre

Fuck me. Are you about to have your mind blown or what!?!?

As Noisereductions says, three pretty much perfect albums right there.

gmku 05.12.2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

That makes me kind of wish I'd bought Paul's Boutique on vinyl. I'll go for LP when I get around to Check Your Head.

The thing that sold it for me--I noticed on the LP cover that one of the LPs in the sidewalk sale in the photo is The Modern Lovers. I'd never noticed that before because the CD cover is so small that I didn't really pick up that detail!

Because The Modern Lovers is one of my all-time favorite records, I took that as a sign.

Plus, I really love what Capitol Records is doing with their reissues. They're making them completely faithful to the original release.

This definitely is a record I feel proud to own. Well worth the 23 US dollars.

gmku 05.12.2009 05:15 PM

By the way, I've found the best record store in Asheville but I'm not revealing what it is. It's all MINE!!!

The Earl Of Slander 05.12.2009 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
The thing that sold it for me--I noticed on the LP cover that one of the LPs in the sidewalk sale in the photo is The Modern Lovers. I'd never noticed that before because the CD cover is so small that I didn't really pick up that detail!

Because The Modern Lovers is one of my all-time favorite records, I took that as a sign.

Man , that's so cool. I love the Modern Lovers too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Fuck me. Are you about to have your mind blown or what!?!?

As Noisereductions says, three pretty much perfect albums right there.

Yeah, great shit. Or at least the first 2. Haven't gotten around to The Chronic yet. That can be tomorrow. I prefer Liquid Swords on first listen, but I can tell that the Raekwon is going to be a grower.

I love getting into new genres of music. Coming late to something means that there's already such a depth of acknowledged "classic" albums that you can pick up really easily. With rock or jazz or whatever, where I've been listening for years, it's so much harder to find stuff worth buying. But with hip-hop, where I now only own like 25 albums, I can walk into my local indie store and, and, in their quite small hip-hop section, find like 20 albums I'd like to check out, all at under £8. Great.

Keeping with the Wu theme, they had the first few Ghostface albums in, and the first Method Man... I may have head back at the end of the week, if I actually have any money left by then. Will be tempted by the early Ice Cube and Fugee's albums they've got in too... So much choice!

greedrex 05.12.2009 06:00 PM

buy cannibal ox - cold vein, dude

Derek 05.12.2009 06:00 PM

Liquid Swords is my all time favourite hip hop record. Just amazing!

SuperCreep 05.12.2009 06:15 PM

vinyl:

(it's both volumes. I'm just too lazy to find the right image)

noisereductions 05.12.2009 06:17 PM

LIQUID SWORDS is definitely more immediate. But ONLY BUILT is a sprawling epic masterpiece.

TheDom 05.12.2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Will be tempted by the early Ice Cube and Fugee's albums they've got in too... So much choice!

Get the Fugees - The Score.
I don't think it gets enough love.

&&& if you don't already have Nas - Illmatic or Biggie - Ready To Die.. well ya need them

gmku 05.12.2009 06:24 PM

I've always hated that VU live 1969 cover. VU might have been gritty and underground but they just went tacky with that one.

acdc518 05.12.2009 08:00 PM

My Bloody Valentine: These Are Your Bloody Rarities: Vol 1&2

pretty much Vol 1 is all of the pre Bilinda stuff and Vol 2 is Strawberry Wine, Ecstacy, You Made Me Realise, Feed Me With Yr Kiss, Instrumental A&B, and Sugar.

stu666 05.13.2009 01:20 AM

sunburned Hand Of The Man - an Ant's Death

The Earl Of Slander 05.13.2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
&&& if you don't already have Nas - Illmatic or Biggie - Ready To Die.. well ya need them

Illmatic is tied with Madvillainy as my favourite hip-hop record (that I've yet heard). Haven't really been able to get into Biggie, but I'm sure it will come.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
buy cannibal ox - cold vein, dude

Annoyingly, they had it in cheap, and I intended to buy it, but when I came back it had gone. I love Company Flow and El-P's solo stuff too, so I'm sure it'll be a good record for me. Ah well, sure it'll be back.

atsonicpark 05.13.2009 02:04 AM

i bought electric weedland by dot

The Earl Of Slander 05.13.2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
vinyl:

(it's both volumes. I'm just too lazy to find the right image)

Oh man, nice finds! I have to agree with gmku on the VU cover though. Not a high point for the band. The music within obviously more than makes up for it though...

_slavo_ 05.15.2009 06:06 AM

I just bought this 10 minutes ago in the local music store. I'm so happy I came across that!

The Earl Of Slander 05.15.2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_

I just bought this 10 minutes ago in the local music store. I'm so happy I came across that!

Sweet! Parker's great, but I haven't heard this. How is it? What date?

greedrex 05.15.2009 12:09 PM

i've got this on waxxxx, cover doesn't say what year tho, 96 or 7 or maybe even 8.
It's not my fave T.bone collab but it's pretty nice and out there.

greedrex 05.15.2009 12:11 PM

offcial Thurston discog says 97.

noisereductions 05.15.2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_

This is one of my favs. Great, great album. Was my first introduction to Evan Parker surprisingly! And the .wav files as a bonus is outstanding.

The Earl Of Slander 05.15.2009 12:43 PM

I may have to check that out then. I love Thurston's "Barefoot in the Head side", so T. being noisy with Evan Parker sounds like a pretty fantastic proposition...

noisereductions 05.15.2009 02:18 PM

BAREFOOT IN THE HEAD is... not one of my favs. Since you (didnt) ask, my favs would be:

1. Hurricane Floyd
2. Fuck Shit Up
3. Piece For Jetsun Dolma

those are the immediate ones that come to mind, with HF being amazing amazing amazing. I dont really care for his uh.. NOISE albums, but I love his FREE JAZZ albums.

The Earl Of Slander 05.15.2009 05:44 PM

Not familiar with Hurricane Floyd at all. Will have to check that out. OOP I assume?

viewtiful_alan 05.15.2009 09:56 PM

This 7" On Ebay:

(on black vinyl)

SuperCreep 05.15.2009 10:28 PM

vinyl:

oss 05.16.2009 02:52 AM

The Decemberists - The Hazards of love

There I said it.

stu666 05.16.2009 03:03 AM

Trumans Water - Milktrain to Paydirt (got for 45p on ebay)

godsfavoritedog 05.16.2009 08:33 AM

Foetus- Limp.

samuel 05.16.2009 07:40 PM

I saw them in concert a few days ago, and they were outstanding.

This Is Not Here 05.16.2009 08:17 PM

The Fall - Hex Induction Hour

viewtiful_alan 05.16.2009 08:46 PM

I still never had gotten this one, picked up the remaster

LifeDistortion 05.16.2009 10:10 PM

The Horrers S/T & "Strange House" and The Cars S/T

Skuj 05.16.2009 11:51 PM

Neutral Milk Hotel: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea.

Cus fuckin, I wore out my previous CD of it. Kidding. I lent it to someone....like 2 fuckin years ago and he still has it, so I bought it again today.

The Earl Of Slander 05.17.2009 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Neutral Milk Hotel: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea.

Cus fuckin, I wore out my previous CD of it. Kidding. I lent it to someone....like 2 fuckin years ago and he still has it, so I bought it again today.

Man, I love this record so fucking much. It's so beautiful that sometimes I get my vinyl of it out just to look at it, without even putting it on...

SuperCreep 05.17.2009 04:29 PM

vinyl:

The Earl Of Slander 05.17.2009 06:23 PM

Yes. Mega reps.