Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you playing? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28352)

Ghostchase 08.12.2011 04:38 PM

I'm playing FFIII.. well umm.. FFVI on Wii Virtual Console, but FFIII in North America. So confusing. I am loving it! Is it even better for GBA? Anyways this is my first true FF experience since I was not allowed video games back in 94. Those Mooples are cool!

Count Mecha 08.13.2011 02:48 AM

VI is pretty good. Objectively speaking it probably is the best one, though I prefer VIII. It's pretty good up until the middle, then it just kind of falls apart for me. Still a fun game though.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.13.2011 03:51 AM

EVOLghost 08.13.2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
VI is pretty good. Objectively speaking it probably is the best one, though I prefer VIII. It's pretty good up until the middle, then it just kind of falls apart for me. Still a fun game though.

VIII has a pretty awesome story. I really wanna play it again..... though only the enemys suck.....

Count Mecha 08.13.2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
VIII has a pretty awesome story. I really wanna play it again..... though only the enemys suck.....

When I first played through it when I was 13 or so, I would've defended that game to the grave. Defended any criticism anyone ever came up with. No, the draw system did NOT suck! One shotting that zombie boss with a phoenix down does not make it lame! It's clever!

Nowadays as a 23 year old, I have no qualms about admitting that there are some serious gameplay problems with that game. But that's fine, the story is still engaging, though somewhat convoluted and at times very um, teenager-esque. But the story is still interesting. Ultemicia is still the Final Fantasy antagonist I enjoy thinking about most. So yeah, still a very interesting game.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.15.2011 03:23 AM

more Deus Ex: Invisible War (XBOX)

and some SEGA Superstars Tennis (Wii)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.15.2011 03:38 AM

Quote:

When I first played through it when I was 13 or so, I would've defended that game to the grave. Defended any criticism anyone ever came up with. No, the draw system did NOT suck! One shotting that zombie boss with a phoenix down does not make it lame! It's clever!

Nowadays as a 23 year old, I have no qualms about admitting that there are some serious gameplay problems with that game. But that's fine, the story is still engaging, though somewhat convoluted and at times very um, teenager-esque. But the story is still interesting. Ultemicia is still the Final Fantasy antagonist I enjoy thinking about most. So yeah, still a very interesting game.

I haven't visited any of the PSX Final Fantasy titles since I was very young (my cousins had a PSX), and even then - I must not have gotten very far due to my age. FF8 really struck a chord with me, much moreso than the beloved FF7. I can't remember much, but the whole card system really appealed to me. I even enjoyed the animations for the creatures you unleashed over and over again.

My absolute favorite in the series was always ff3 (ff6) on the SNES though.

Pelle 08.15.2011 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fuckin 'A :p :eek:

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.15.2011 03:42 PM

On my 30" SD TV w/ the sound BLARING from my JVC sound system.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.15.2011 06:10 PM

noisereductions 08.15.2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

so you don't need me to hold this for you any more then?

ps. The soundtrack for both games is available online. It's amazing.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.15.2011 10:08 PM

Hahaha, sorry dude, meant to PM you on RB. I found it today for $1.50. Couldn't pass that up!

BUT I still will need KoF Neo Blood - thank you, and srry for the inconvenience.

EVOLghost 08.16.2011 02:19 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
sooooo tempted to buy this right now.

noisereductions 08.16.2011 08:40 PM

picked up Samurai Champloo Sidetracked (PS2) today. You got that Suda game yet Joe? I'm dying to finally nab No More Heroes... grabbing the PS3 version tomorrow hopefully.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.16.2011 10:46 PM

No, I haven't. I know nothing of the anime series, and heard the game wasn't anything special. No More Heroes on the other hand, rules hard.

Does the PS3 Move have a speaker in the controller? If not, I'd suggest you save a few bucks and just get a used copy on the Wii (you could probably get the sequel too, and still save $$$!). The use of the speaker throughout was one of my favorite elements in the game.

PayPal'd ya just now, btw.

noisereductions 08.17.2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

No, I haven't. I know nothing of the anime series, and heard the game wasn't anything special. No More Heroes on the other hand, rules hard.

Does the PS3 Move have a speaker in the controller? If not, I'd suggest you save a few bucks and just get a used copy on the Wii (you could probably get the sequel too, and still save $$$!). The use of the speaker throughout was one of my favorite elements in the game.

PayPal'd ya just now, btw.

I know zilch about the anime too, but read that the game was batshit. Plus it's a Suda game for $6. So...

The PS3 NMH supports standard controller. I hate motion controls unless it's lightgun. So I'll be playing with a standard controller, in HD, with bonus content not in the Wii version.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.17.2011 03:14 PM

$6? I'd try it out for that yeah.

The motion controls in NMH are actually extremely well designed, and quite limited. The motion comes into play only when adjusting the height of your weapon, charging up your beam katana, or when performing extremely simple special wrestling moves. You use the A button to swing rather than having to fling around like a drunk uncle.

Trust me, this is a very well designed game, created specifically for the Wii. There are many innovative instances that just wouldn't be the same on another console (especially w/ a standard controller): receiving phone calls through the speaker, holding A and jerking off your Wiimote to charge your weapon (an intentional gesture), swinging lethal baseballs back at enemies, etc.

As for HD... well, I guess, guy .... BUT THE SPEAKER!!!! OH MAN; and the bonus content... okay, I guess you kinda got me there, but you could just pick up the sequel for Wii and still save money.

Or is the PS3 version both games on one disc or something? Maybe I'm ill informed. shoot me

noisereductions 08.17.2011 06:46 PM

nah. But the Wii's in the living room on the big screen. I really only play it with my wife. My PS3 is setup for me and me alone. So I'll opt for PS3.

noisereductions 08.17.2011 07:34 PM

Samurai Champloo Sidetracked

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.18.2011 04:27 PM

noisereductions 08.18.2011 06:40 PM

^awe sookie sookie now

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.18.2011 07:16 PM

I can't get over her, guy. She's impeccable.

noisereductions 08.18.2011 07:17 PM

reminds me of someone. Dnt know. Lacey from Mean Girls maybe?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.23.2011 06:40 PM

In honor of the Super Nintendo's 20th Anniversary since it's release in North America, I have been playing my two favorites on the console all day long.

Super Metroid & Chrono Trigger

EVOLghost 08.23.2011 07:41 PM

^ ahh CRono@ I still have to finish it. I'm basically at Lavos. I just need to do the sidequests n shit.

noisereductions 08.23.2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
^ ahh CRono@ I still have to finish it. I'm basically at Lavos. I just need to do the sidequests n shit.

yeah I'm stuck at the twin Golems. I need to grind now to level up. And I don't want to. Sigh. I'm like 14 hrs in, too.

EVOLghost 08.24.2011 05:19 AM

You better not quit now! I'm now inspired to play....but when I have time. I have sleep and school stuff to do.

Count Mecha 08.24.2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

In honor of the Super Nintendo's 20th Anniversary since it's release in North America, I have been playing my two favorites on the console all day long.

Super Metroid & Chrono Trigger

Flawless games. Well I wish Frog was stronger in Chrono Trigger. I always felt like he was playing second fiddle to Crono, even with Masamune. Amazing games nonetheless.

Terrific game so far. The RPG elements are pretty intact and man, there are some pretty interesting choices. See through walls? Cloaking? Punch through walls? Lots of interesting stuff. Can't wait to play some more.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.24.2011 07:29 PM

^ I really wanna give it a spin, but don't anything powerful enough to play it. In time, I guess. BUT Count, I thought you might be interested in reading this...

Quote:

Wednesday, 24 August 2011

GameStop is Afraid of OnLive, Plays Dirty Tricks

As reported, the PC retail packaged version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution comes with a free digital copy for OnLive in the form of a coupon.

It looks like this isn't to GameStop's liking. According to strong rumors on various pages GameStop sent out an e-mail to their employees in which stands that they have to DISCARD the OnLive coupon from the PC copies of the game.

Here's a picture of the supposed e-mail from GameStop Field Manager JOSH IVANOFF. He is unwilling to comment about the letter and hides behind the GameStop PR department. His response says it all.

GameStop PR representative Beth Sharum did confirm the fact, that GameStop intentionally removed the OnLive coupons.

"Square Enix packed the competitor's coupon with our Deus Ex: Human Revolution product without our prior knowledge and we did pull and discard these coupons," Sharum said.

Here's a picture of some of the comments on a Joystiq article about the OnLive coupon.

GameStop is known for playing dirty tricks and since they have a strategy of streaming PC and console games to gamers, it isn't surprising that they indulge in such dirty tactics. GameStop has already begun beta tests of their games streaming tech, which is the result of the Spawn Labs acquisition.

GameStop must see OnLive as a great threat to their digital strategy that they pull such low punches. I guess GameStop really does not like the idea of competition.

Well, i hope GameStop employees like a shitload of grunt work. According to an interview with OnLive CEO Steve Perlman, Deus Ex is only the first game that is going to have the free codes in the box. Soon, expect a lot more games have the codes, and not just on PC either. As plans are to have these codes in the box with the Xbox and Playstation versions of the games too, by 2012. So GameStop employees are about to get shafted with a lot of grunt work gutting every copy of half the games that are sold on the shelves, if the company is that determined to get rid of these free digital copy coupon cards.
Posted by John Anderson at 02:06

http://onlivespot.blogspot.com/2011/...ive-plays.html

Talk about bullshit, eh?

noisereductions 08.24.2011 07:39 PM

yeah talk about it (on RB) lulz

Count Mecha 08.25.2011 10:56 AM

Yeah, my sister was telling me about this yesterday, it's ridiculous. I bought my copy at wal-mart, and it came with all 57 codes or whatever that came with it (OK, it was only four but that's still overkill). I was actually kind of annoyed because of that. Because as soon as I opened it all these cards with these different codes fell out. There's the one on the manual, the onlive one, this Steam registration one, and this Square-Enix registration one.

First thing I think is 'OK, which one do I use to play the fucking game?' And the instillation doesn't help very much, when it comes to put in the cd key it says something along the lines of 'you will find the key either on the manual, the jewel case, x card, or somewhere else'. But what made it that much more convoluted was that there were 5 boxes where you put in the code, so you would assume you put in five brackets of serials numbers. But nooooo, every single one of these cards has 3 brackets or less.

For about five seconds I thought I was going to have to combine some of them. But nah, you just fill up three spaces and it accepts that. Later today I might see if these other codes offer anything extra.

In any case, its a great game. The difficulty levels crack me up. They aren't listed in that conventional 'easy' 'medium' 'hard'. They're listed 'give me a story' 'give me a challenge' and the one I expect everyone will pick just because of the way it's worded: 'give me Deus Ex'.

But yeah about the gamestop thing. That's so goofy, I don't even really care about not having the onlive thing. Just the fact that they open the game up is just insane. If they're gong to be such chumps about that. They better sell it at used price. Or better yet not open the fucking game up and taking out a coupon that honestly I doubt that many people will use. I mean, all it is is a coupon for a digital copy of the game right? So whatever. I don't have to worry about it, it's just absurd.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.25.2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Yeah, my sister was telling me about this yesterday, it's ridiculous. I bought my copy at wal-mart, and it came with all 57 codes or whatever that came with it (OK, it was only four but that's still overkill). I was actually kind of annoyed because of that. Because as soon as I opened it all these cards with these different codes fell out. There's the one on the manual, the onlive one, this Steam registration one, and this Square-Enix registration one.

First thing I think is 'OK, which one do I use to play the fucking game?' And the instillation doesn't help very much, when it comes to put in the cd key it says something along the lines of 'you will find the key either on the manual, the jewel case, x card, or somewhere else'. But what made it that much more convoluted was that there were 5 boxes where you put in the code, so you would assume you put in five brackets of serials numbers. But nooooo, every single one of these cards has 3 brackets or less.

For about five seconds I thought I was going to have to combine some of them. But nah, you just fill up three spaces and it accepts that. Later today I might see if these other codes offer anything extra.

This just makes me all the more grateful that I'm a console exclusive gamer. I can hardly handle long-winded CGI intros, let alone having to fill out paperwork when I wanna try out a new game. ha

Quote:

In any case, its a great game. The difficulty levels crack me up. They aren't listed in that conventional 'easy' 'medium' 'hard'. They're listed 'give me a story' 'give me a challenge' and the one I expect everyone will pick just because of the way it's worded: 'give me Deus Ex'.

I love when designers take the extra creative step by adding the tiniest of touches like that. Duke Nukem always had pretty clever titles for its difficulty levels. Games that go the extra mile to insult their players are especially entertaining; having things like "Wuss" and "Crybaby" instead of "Easy" and "Very Easy".

This also works really well with Game Over screens. Like in Friday the 13th for NES:

Pinball of the Dead, and Monster Party have awesomely sinister screens too. Even Donkey Kong Country features a pretty depressing one...

But okay, I'm definitely rambling now...

Quote:

But yeah about the gamestop thing. That's so goofy, I don't even really care about not having the onlive thing. Just the fact that they open the game up is just insane. If they're gong to be such chumps about that. They better sell it at used price. Or better yet not open the fucking game up and taking out a coupon that honestly I doubt that many people will use. I mean, all it is is a coupon for a digital copy of the game right? So whatever. I don't have to worry about it, it's just absurd.

Exactly.

This definitely isn't a new thing for them though. Often times customers complain of receiving "new" games with the shrink wrap already removed.

GameStop has this policy where they let their employees loan out a title to take home, and try out for themselves. I believe the rules are only 1 game allowed at a time, and if the disc is visibly damaged - they have to buy it. But still though, it's the principle of the whole thing - and now that so many games have DLC content (thankfully I've never had to deal with this), or even Club Nintendo points, who knows exactly what the employee is up to?

Don't even get me started on them literally throwing out the cases for PS2 and DS games. It's criminal.

Count Mecha 08.25.2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

This just makes me all the more grateful that I'm a console exclusive gamer. I can hardly handle long-winded CGI intros, let alone having to fill out paperwork when I wanna try out a new game. ha

Well to be honest this was the first time this has happened, usually it's a bit easier haha. Definitely a step up from DOS days, that sucked.

Quote:

I love when designers take the extra creative step by adding the tiniest of touches like that. Duke Nukem always had pretty clever titles for its difficulty levels. Games that go the extra mile to insult their players are especially entertaining; having things like "Wuss" and "Crybaby" instead of "Easy" and "Very Easy".

This also works really well with Game Over screens. Like in Friday the 13th for NES:

Pinball of the Dead, and Monster Party have awesomely sinister screens too. Even Donkey Kong Country features a pretty depressing one...

But okay, I'm definitely rambling now...

Yeah, Monster Party's game over screen was always depressing. Actually everything about that game is depressing. Entering the password, everything. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's game over screen always made me laugh somewhat.

It basically is saying 'give it up, you're not going to beat this game. Just cut your losses and go outside.'

But the most unique difficulty selection I can think of was in Quake. When you had to actively jump into the portal of your choice. And the harder ones were more intense looking. Hard having the lava you had to jump over with the withering corpses hanging off the wall. And then there was Nightmare difficulty which was hidden haha.

Quote:

This definitely isn't a new thing for them though. Often times customers complain of receiving "new" games with the shrink wrap already removed.

GameStop has this policy where they let their employees loan out a title to take home, and try out for themselves. I believe the rules are only 1 game allowed at a time, and if the disc is visibly damaged - they have to buy it. But still though, it's the principle of the whole thing - and now that so many games have DLC content (thankfully I've never had to deal with this), or even Club Nintendo points, who knows exactly what the employee is up to?

Don't even get me started on them literally throwing out the cases for PS2 and DS games. It's criminal.

Man, that makes me want to never buy from gamestop again. Though I never shopped there much to begin with. I bought from there...Metal Gear Solid 2, this Fallout/Fallout 2 compilation which doesn't work very well, X-COM collector's edition, and uh World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. Yeah, that's everything I ever bought there.

Speaking of DLC, I hate that stuff. I always feel like it's just a piece of the game the developers decided to hold back so they can get another five bucks out of you or something when they release it. Yeah some games have free dlc, though I don't know how common that is. And it's never significant.

But this Deus Ex thing is funny, I mean I'd never even heard of Onlive before two days ago. I can't figure how Gamestop thought this was a good idea. Did they just think no one would notice? Idiots.

noisereductions 08.25.2011 09:27 PM

one of the most BRILLIANT games of the year.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.25.2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

My cousins had a DOS for a while. The only thing I remember playing on it was Monopoly. My memory is so faint.

I still have yet to play SOTN. That's a good one though.

The thing I hate most about GameStop is sometimes their prices are so cheap that they absolutely justify the company's means. Although, you really do have to sort through plenty of cases with missing manuals (or even worse.... generic GS cases....) to find the hidden treasures.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.25.2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

one of the most BRILLIANT games of the year.

Tell me more plz.

SpaceCadetHayden 08.25.2011 09:53 PM

Chrono Trigger

noisereductions 08.25.2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Tell me more plz.

basically a HUGE tribute to video games. It's a JRPG made by Sega, NIS, Compile Heart AND Idea Factory together. The parties are made of goddesses, each one based on a VG company (IE: Neptunia = Sega Nuptune!) and it's a big giant alagory about the console wars. That's right. An RPG about the fucking console wars. You fight things like space-invaders early on and then things progress throughout the history of video games. Stunningly brilliant. I love it.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.25.2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
basically a HUGE tribute to video games. It's a JRPG made by Sega, NIS, Compile Heart AND Idea Factory together. The parties are made of goddesses, each one based on a VG company (IE: Neptunia = Sega Nuptune!) and it's a big giant alagory about the console wars. That's right. An RPG about the fucking console wars. You fight things like space-invaders early on and then things progress throughout the history of video games. Stunningly brilliant. I love it.

Hot damn! That's stupidly brilliant!

I need a PS3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThankYouSpaceGodHayden
Chrono Trigger

Hey! Me too!!

a-p a. niemi 08.26.2011 06:35 AM

Well, I'm not really playing anything at the moment (though I have quite a few games unfinished) BUT I finally ordered a GameBoy Player for my Gamecube!