Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

stu666 01.04.2009 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RdTv
How is this?

i really like it but it seem a little short to me, then again i did pre-order this so i got the extra cd with extra tracks which makes up for it.

(from threelobed)

http://www.threelobed.com/tlr/tlr043.html

released early march 2008. batholith is a collection of six tracks that are near and dear to bardo pond but, for some reason or another, have never previously been released. that one-sentence description might lead one to think that these tracks are "outtakes" or cutting-room floor type material - neither conclusion could be further from the truth. the tracks included on batholith range from previous live staples ("a tune," one made 'famous' by opening bardo's set at terrastock II in san francisco as joined by roy montgomery [and a recording of which was featured on the KFJC compilation live from the devil's triangle, volume 2]) to tracks the band recorded in john peel sessions ("slip away", also available here as a downloadable .mp3 preview). collected as a whole, these tracks form a fluid and cohesive album. batholith is not just an exciting moment for long time bardo pond fans, but a great jumping on point for folks who are relatively new to their craft.

Death & the Maiden 01.04.2009 06:02 AM

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - From Her to Eternity

sonic sphere 01.04.2009 06:39 AM

iggy pop-new values

sonic sphere 01.04.2009 10:50 AM

jefferson airplane takes off

radarmaker 01.04.2009 11:05 AM

greedrex 01.04.2009 11:17 AM

viewtiful_alan 01.04.2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

This one seems to come out of the blue given your other listening XD.
Do you have any sort of listening system to determine what you listen to next or is it all at your whim?

Last night:

4/5
Weakest of the dedications, but still pretty damn good.

█████████ 01.04.2009 12:14 PM

cure's carnage visors, it's on a 2008 release of faith.
got it for christmas, ha!

sonic sphere 01.04.2009 12:46 PM

ice-t -7th deadly sin

noisereductions 01.04.2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
This one seems to come out of the blue given your other listening XD.
Do you have any sort of listening system to determine what you listen to next or is it all at your whim?

Last night:

4/5
Weakest of the dedications, but still pretty damn good.

Agreed, though I wouldn't rank it as high.

Inhuman 01.04.2009 01:32 PM

viewtiful, do you know the rapper "Drake"? It's the token black character "Jimmy" from Degrassi and lil' wayne signed him. He's worth checking out.

Can - Tago Mago

viewtiful_alan 01.04.2009 01:40 PM

Yeah I do know Drake and I'm deffinitley gonna be keeping an eye on him, he is quite good, easily one of the better Young Money artists.
This morning:

4/5
Yeah I know its kind of stupid and mainstream, but damn this is a really good rap album. This and Paper trail are kind of tied for my 2nd favorite hip hop albums of 2008

viewtiful_alan 01.04.2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Agreed, though I wouldn't rank it as high.

Eh it really goes between 3.5 and 4 for me.. but I dont like to use ratings like 3.75 (which I guess is what it is)

Right now (on vinyl):

4.5/5 Classic

uhler 01.04.2009 01:51 PM

suicide- s/t

viewtiful_alan 01.04.2009 02:15 PM

Nice. I need to pick that one up next time I wind up seeing it.. hell I need to remember to look for it when at the record stores.
I just have Rocket rocket usa and a live version of Keep your dreams. Both on comps.

viewtiful_alan 01.04.2009 02:30 PM

Right now (on vinyl):

5/5

viewtiful_alan 01.04.2009 02:50 PM

Ah, I just go through my collection alphabetically so as to make sure everything gets listened to... yeah I know its kind of odd but I do just pull things out that I want to hear, and I'm a fan of equal opportunity for my music, which is why I have my entire cd collection on my ipod and listen to it on shuffle, I rediscover or discover a lot of great songs that way that might have gotten lost in an album or comp when listened to in its entirety.

uhler 01.04.2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Nice. I need to pick that one up next time I wind up seeing it.. hell I need to remember to look for it when at the record stores.
I just have Rocket rocket usa and a live version of Keep your dreams. Both on comps.

it's one of the best albums that has ever seen light.

noisereductions 01.04.2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Yeah I do know Drake and I'm deffinitley gonna be keeping an eye on him, he is quite good, easily one of the better Young Money artists.
This morning:

4/5
Yeah I know its kind of stupid and mainstream, but damn this is a really good rap album. This and Paper trail are kind of tied for my 2nd favorite hip hop albums of 2008

Luda is kind of stupid and mainstream, but he's always entertaining. Can't help but like him.

uhler 01.04.2009 03:46 PM

the wipers- youth of america