Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you playing? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28352)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.05.2011 03:46 PM

correct. lol

Derek 06.05.2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Re-bought a DS off of noisereducks and tricked it out WICKED CLOWN STYLE today!!!!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.07.2011 01:28 PM

HAHAhAHA! ^^^ :)

NEW NINTENDO CONSOLE Wii-U revealed TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1173582p1.html

Quote:

E3 2011: Playing the Wii U

Nintendo's new console is here, and we've played it.

June 7, 2011

by Richard George

EVENT COVERAGE
E3 2011

It's the dawn of a new Nintendo generation. After five years of pursuing a "blue ocean strategy," the Big N is shifting to a new console, one that rivals (and potentially exceeds) consoles currently in stores. After months of having IGN's Nintendo team tracking down sources and bringing you a comprehensive picture of Wii's successor, I've finally had the chance to use the new controller and play demos on the system.

In short, Nintendo's gamble works. The controller is the best of both worlds, mixing traditional button inputs with the advantage of having an interface unlike anything we've seen from a home console.

THE CONTROLLER BASICS

What we've been reporting and suspected is true. The primary controller for Nintendo's next console is tablet based, featuring a 6.2 inch touch screen. This new device also features a very standard array of buttons, including a d-pad, four face buttons, four shoulder triggers, a power button and a camera.

One of the more interesting alterations to conventional design is the system features two analog sliders at the top of the controller rather than traditional sticks. Don't make the mistake of thinking these sliders are like the 3DS "circle pad." The texture and top shape of the sliders are much more akin to Wii's nunchuk, meaning the grip and precision of movement are much better.

The tablet itself appears large, but is actually quite comfortable to grip. The two sliders both being located at the top of the tablet make holding it considerably easier. A staggered configuration would only have worked with a much smaller design. Nintendo was also smart in making the new controller extremely light for its size, resulting in something that might look strange but is not as burdensome as it would seem.

The other major design element is a horizontal "grip" that runs underneath the tablet. The grip, however, is mostly there to house two of the system's triggers, with the remaining two being on the shoulder of the main body of the device.

More important is the fact that the new console is backwards compatible with Wii controllers. Nintendo's demos suggested it is very intent on utilizing its current generation remotes - without alteration - alongside the new tablet. In fact while the number of Wii remotes changed between mini-games, I only ever used one tablet controller.

THE TECH DEMOS

In addition to a few mini-games and one major franchise cinematic, Nintendo's presentation to me included a couple sequences designed to show off the power of the system and the innovative applications of the controller. The first, simply called "HD Experience," featured a hawk soaring through a traditional Japanese setting including cherry blossom trees and a temple. Graphically the scene was far better than Wii, of course, but I wasn't impressed at all with the quality of the textures or aesthetic design. For something that was supposed to demonstrate the power of the system, this particularly sequence failed to impress. One noteworthy element was that the tablet controller was replicating the visuals on the TV on its smaller screen, and moving the tablet would cause the camera behind the hawk to move, allowing the player to see more of the landscape.

The rough shape of this demo is no cause for concern, however. At the end of my time with the new system, Nintendo played an interactive cinematic that put all my fears to rest. The difference in quality between that sequence and this was light years apart, making me wonder why I watched the hawk video in the first place.

The second major tech demonstration featured live footage of Japan, with a camera moving down a crowded street, hovering above vehicles. Like the hawk demo, the tablet was also featuring the footage shown on the television. But as I moved the new controller, I was able to see more of the city around me, without altering what was being shown on the larger screen. I could move the tablet upward to see the sky, or downward to see the street moving under me. Even more impressive, I could start to rotate the controller or "aim" it behind me to see where I had been. Pressing a button would also flip the portable display behind me, allowing me to see backwards similar to a rearview mirror. The potential for racing games with this sort of technology is truly impressive.

CHASING AND BATTLING MIIS

I played two Mii mini-games on the new console. In a word, they are both fantastic. In concept, execution, scope and entertainment, they are leaps and bounds beyond what you experienced on Wii. I realize we all had fun with tennis and sword fighting, but Chase Mii and Battle Mii are very, very much capable of selling people on the capabilities of the new system. Most important of all, the concepts are easy to learn, but with some added settings and levels down the line, I'd very much like to see these as some sort of final product.

Click here to read more on Chase Mii.

Click here to read more on Battle Mii.

FIGHTING PIRATES WITH RHYTHM

It's no secret that I have absolutely no rhythm. I can't get one step right in Dance Dance Revolution. When Nintendo told me I'd be trying a music-based game, I cringed. Yet blocking airborne plungers with my shield in sync with a beat in the background turned out to be a rather painless experience. By far the most quirky demo I saw, Pirate Horde was fairly addicting, and the developers of the demo weren't afraid to step up the difficulty in relatively short order. This wasn't my favorite game, but it was strong.

Click here to read more on Shield Pose.

THE NEXT GENERATION OF ZELDA

To be honest, I didn't think Nintendo would be daring enough to show off any sort of Zelda HD demo, despite the fact that the franchise is clearly the one that would benefit the most from a vastly more powerful system. This was based off of the Twilight Princess era Zelda characters, not Skyward Sword, so those of you expecting Wii's last major game to jump ship, this demo wasn't proof of that.

I wasn't able to control Link, but the battle between him and Gohma that I saw was breathtaking nonetheless. Between changing the lighting, camera controls and even the tablet's display, this demo above all the others proved how Nintendo franchises might benefit from increased power. This was gorgeous stuff.

Click here to read more on Nintendo's HD Zelda demo.

That covers everything I had a chance to see during Nintendo's hands-on tour of the new system. At the time of my meeting, no details were given for much else about the system's capabilities. I didn't even see the design of the new console. Still, my time with the new controller opened my eyes to a new way of gaming. It's remarkable that simply adding an extra screen can truly change how games are played. It will be utterly fascinating to see how Nintendo and other developers take advantage of this innovative twist.

Like what you're hearing? Are you more excited for the new console? Sound off in the comments below!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.07.2011 02:52 PM

I wasn't completely sold until I watched this - http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/07...u-announcement

LOOK HOW COOL THAT IS!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.07.2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

I wasn't completely sold until I watched this - http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/07...u-announcement

LOOK HOW COOL THAT IS!

QFT

GeneticKiss 06.07.2011 09:09 PM

Meh, more excited about Sonic Generations. Just learned about it today.

Ghostchase 06.07.2011 09:39 PM

Hey don't snipe Shigeru-sensei!

"LIKE CYCLING SOUNDS AWESOME!"

LOL

I'm amazed and excited, I must say. But see that the Wii beside the TV during the ad still looks the same.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.07.2011 09:42 PM

I just hope it comes in black.

Ghostchase 06.07.2011 10:40 PM

I like white.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.09.2011 07:36 PM

Sonic Youth 37 06.11.2011 12:56 AM

Because I don't have a PS3 and want to play Red Dead Redemption so much.

I like the idea and the story/presentation are aces, but the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Glitchy as fuck sometimes and unnecessarily difficult in addition. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and several times I've wanted to break the controller from frustration.

and

3-D hack'n'slash Castlevania=badass. The fixed camera can make jumping/swinging a little annoying and the lack of a level-up system baffles me, but the rest of the game is great.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.13.2011 02:18 AM

Got this for $5 at a flea market today. A nice intro to a series I've been meaning to get around to for quite a while now.

Performing surgeries makes me so tense!

EVOLghost 06.13.2011 12:09 PM

then you need to see this Doctor. Its a spoof of the game made by egoraptor. if you haven't seen his spoofs, I reccommend them. They're fantastic. and this one is one of my faves too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dB8wBr76Jg

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.15.2011 02:18 AM

Wow, what a treat! I'd hate to jump the gun, but this might be one of the most fun, well-polished, and inventive platformers I've ever played!
It's a damned shame that Game Freak is stuck in eternal Poke'mon hell when they're capable putting together slick new franchises like this.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.15.2011 03:37 PM

I was reading through the posts here, and I can't help but wonder what a lot of your guys' preferences are in gaming; what consoles you own(ed), all-time favorite game(s)/console(s) and what-not.

So yeah if anyone cares to share, it might get some good discussion going.

Yup.

demonrail666 06.15.2011 03:53 PM

I've not gotten past the PS2, but

Resident Evil 4 - PS2
Ico - PS2
Sim City - PC
Silent Hill 2 - PS2
Championship Manager - PC
Silent Hill 3 - PS2
Gran Turismo 4 - PS2
Ecco the Dolphin - PS
Fatal Frame - PS2
Elite - ZX Spectrum
Pro Evolution Soccer - PS2
Golden Eye - N64
Silent Hill - PS
Manhunt - PS2
Need for Speed - Underground - PS2

floatingslowly 06.15.2011 04:04 PM

ok. I'll start.

real men play PC games>xbox is for boys>little girls/weeaboos play nintendo/playstation.

I hope this helps.

:)

demonrail666 06.15.2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37

I like the idea and the story/presentation are aces, but the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Glitchy as fuck sometimes and unnecessarily difficult in addition. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and several times I've wanted to break the controller from frustration.

Much the same could be said of practically any Rockstar game. Manhunt's the one with the least playability issues for me. As you say, they're packed with ideas and have great presentation, but their actual games always feel a bit half finished to me.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.15.2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I've not gotten past the PS2, but

Resident Evil 4 - PS2
Ico - PS2
Sim City - PC
Silent Hill 2 - PS2
Championship Manager - PC
Silent Hill 3 - PS2
Gran Turismo 4 - PS2
Ecco the Dolphin - PS
Fatal Frame - PS2
Elite - ZX Spectrum
Pro Evolution Soccer - PS2
Golden Eye - N64
Silent Hill - PS
Manhunt - PS2
Need for Speed - Underground - PS2

Resident Evil 4 - PS2 - I love the original GC version of this. It was such refreshing change of pace to the series. I couldn't believe how beautifully it controlled, and how realistic the graphics were. I still prefer Code Veronica overall, but this one was mind-blowing when it came out!

Ico - PS2 - I've heard amazing things about this, but I've yet to play it - which sucks, because it seems to go up in price little by little every year. Same developers as Shadow of the Colossus right? I haven't gotten to either of those, but probably should, as my PS2 collection is admittedly lacking.

Sim City - PC - The SNES version was really fun to me, although I don't know if I could still get absorbed by it these days.

Silent Hill Franchise - I hate to admit it, but I've always been such an RE fanboy that I've never gotten around to a single game in this franchise. It looks like an awfully good survival horror franchise though.

Gran Turismo 4 - PS2
- I've never really gotten into standard racing games. I need go-karts and turtle shells to keep me excited. What exactly is the main appeal of this series?

Ecco the Dolphin - PS -
I still need to check this out, the Dreamcast version looks especially nice. I remember shitting my pants over it (and Shenmue) in '99

Fatal Frame - PS2 - I'm embarrassed to not have at least tried this by now.

Golden Eye - N64 - Classic. I rarely play FPS games, but this one will forever have a special place in my heart.

Manhunt - PS2 -
Hahaha

demonrail666 06.15.2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Resident Evil 4 - PS2 - I love the original GC version of this. It was such refreshing change of pace to the series. I couldn't believe how beautifully it controlled, and how realistic the graphics were. I still prefer Code Veronica overall, but this one was mind-blowing when it came out!

I love Code Veronica but I'll always say, that fish thing in the river in RE4 is fucking terrifying.

Quote:

Silent Hill Franchise - I hate to admit it, but I've always been such an RE fanboy that I've never gotten around to a single game in this franchise. It looks like an awfully good survival horror franchise though.

I can't imagine you not loving it. Infinitely darker than RE. Both brilliant but SH has this atmosphere which can actually start getting to you - especially the sounds. SH2 is flat out disturbing.

Quote:

Ico - PS2 - I've heard amazing things about this, but I've yet to play it - which sucks, because it seems to go up in price little by little every year. Same developers as Shadow of the Colossus right? I haven't gotten to either of those, but probably should, as my PS2 collection is admittedly lacking.

Sim City - PC - The SNES version was really fun to me, although I don't know if I could still get absorbed by it these days.

Ecco the Dolphin - PS - I still need to check this out, the Dreamcast version looks especially nice. I remember shitting my pants over it (and Shenmue) in '99

They're very bong-friendly is all I can really say about them. To be fair though, Ico is genuinely amazing.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.15.2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

I love Code Veronica but I'll always say, that fish thing in the river in RE4 is fucking terrifying.

Oh yeah, most definitely. People rag on RE4 for not technically being a survival-horror game due to the higher focus on action, and the abundance of herbs - but it freaked me out just as much as any other RE title. Even that first scene in the village had my heart pounding.

Quote:

I can't imagine you not loving it. Infinitely darker than RE. Both brilliant but SH has this atmosphere which can actually start getting to you - especially the sounds. SH2 is flat out disturbing.

I probably would. I've heard the combat can be kinda shitty, but isn't that what people also argue about the earlier RE games? I'm really interested in the Wii re-imagining of the original. They did away with the combat completely, and the "silent hill world" (or whatever) develops based on your activity in the game.

ex. If you stare at a bikini calendar for an extended amount of time; the monsters will seem more phallic than to someone who did not. There's also a bunch of personality tests they make you take that'll alter the gameplay environment. Pretty neat, I thought.

So yeah, I'll probably pick that one up first. I love my Wii.

Quote:

They're very bong-friendly is all I can really say about them. To be fair though, Ico is genuinely amazing.

Yeah I've had my eye on it since it first came out - I'm just a twat. :p

noisereductions 06.15.2011 09:14 PM

not even giving me shouts for games you got from me anymore huh Joe?

btw, I gotta get into Trauma Center too. Atlus is the shit.

GeneticKiss 06.15.2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah, most definitely. People rag on RE4 for not technically being a survival-horror game due to the higher focus on action, and the abundance of herbs - but it freaked me out just as much as any other RE title. Even that first scene in the village had my heart pounding.

One word: Regenerators.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.16.2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
not even giving me shouts for games you got from me anymore huh Joe?

btw, I gotta get into Trauma Center too. Atlus is the shit.

EAT MY ASS BRAD

EVOLghost 06.16.2011 02:36 AM

on ps2. You want a fun game? This is it. Fuck street 3. This one is where its at. This is probably the only football game I can enjoy. I'm not into sports games at all really....but this one is wacky and obnoxious. Anyone else a fan?

Keeping It Simple 06.17.2011 10:49 AM

I'm playing Dragon Age 2. It's pretty good, though the dialogue is nowhere near as hilarious as on the original.

EVOLghost 06.17.2011 12:45 PM

I heard those dragon age games were awful. What are they like? Another randome button masher?

Count Mecha 06.17.2011 03:04 PM

I think the main dislike of the Dragon Age games comes from RPG purists who wanted something more in line of the originally hardcore RPG style of Bioware. Dragon Age was supposed to be like a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, but the RPG mechanics are more streamlined (or dumbed down if you'd like to be insulting).

I played the demo for Dragon Age II, I enjoyed it, I'll probably play them someday. But it definitely doesn't command the depth that Baldur's Gate had which I don't necessarily fault it for, but many seem to.

deflinus 06.19.2011 11:16 PM

Sonic Youth 37 06.20.2011 12:48 AM

Bad fucking ass

finding nobody 06.20.2011 01:08 AM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.20.2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deflinus

I really like this game, even though a few answers can be pretty outdated these days, it still holds up.

I'm also a HUGE fan of Wheel of Fortune 64 - you can play as Steve Shelley's doppelganger!

EVOLghost 06.20.2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody

haha. I was just playing Melee earlier today. Yoshi is where it's at. Lastweek y friends and I had a little tourney. First round I was playing a friend who is basically considered the best....that was probably my biggest super smash accomplishment....He wasn't ready for my yoshi.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.20.2011 01:55 AM

...Yoshi?

I can't wrap my mind around his lack of third jump. He's not necessarily bad, I've just never seen anyone master him. Neat choice.

EVOLghost 06.20.2011 02:24 AM

The third jump is for pussies ;-)....his second is massive so....a third isn't really needed. Also....they've managed to fix that issue in Brawl...his egg toss does give an extra bump as well as hangtime. But yeh...Yoshi is probably my best chracter for the 3 games and in Brawl.....well.....Olimar is kickass.

EDIT: What's funny is that....I never faced another (good) Yoshi either.

EVOLghost 06.20.2011 02:35 AM

I also have a question for people who play Smash Bros.....

DO YOU EDGE GUARD?!

Edge guarding (if you don't know) is basically not letting your opponent back on the stage if they fall too far off the screen.

Count Mecha 06.20.2011 11:12 AM

Yeah, two of my friends are big edge guarders, well back when we all played Smash Bros. a whole lot. And they always played characters that really excelled at it, like Kirby and Yoshi. The Kirby player, if he ever got the lead in stock, would always use the suck em in and both die strategy.

I always tried to edge guard, but was never very proficient at it.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.20.2011 11:55 AM

Isn't edge guarding basically an essential technique for winning a match? I don't necessarily have too much strategy aside from "knock the other player off the platform, and keep him/her off the platform at all costs/stay on the platform".

EVOLghost 06.20.2011 02:15 PM

Hmmm......sounds reasonable. Me and my friends have gotten used to giving the opponent a chance and not edge guarding. Just our hosue rules.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.20.2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Hmmm......sounds reasonable. Me and my friends have gotten used to giving the opponent a chance and not edge guarding. Just our hosue rules.

Sounds like sissyfightin' to me. ;)