Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MPP===best album of all time (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28682)

acousticrock87 01.08.2009 01:37 AM

Or underdosed.

Cause...they're still alive...Haha...cause...Sigh.

atsonicpark 01.08.2009 01:53 AM

You can overdose and still live though, right? I mean, you can die and be brought back to life. Maybe every time they overdose and get brought back to life, they record a new album immediately afterwards.

acousticrock87 01.08.2009 01:57 AM

True. But the fact that they're still alive means they didn't overdose enough.

Although, I love the new album. So I'm cool with it.

Also, I don't actually wish anyone's death based on their musical output. But ya know...

atsonicpark 01.08.2009 02:10 AM

Animal Collective sound like drugs who are scared of taking hippies.

sarramkrop 01.08.2009 02:10 AM

animal collective's records are to paedos what pedals are to MBV.

Rob Instigator 01.08.2009 10:13 AM

slammmmmm

davenotdead 01.08.2009 02:56 PM

uh, boo-yow

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2009/01/08/a...-albums-chart/

king_buzzo 01.08.2009 02:58 PM

well i cant be fucked to look over the billions of pages and see if anyone has posted

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/41197789

i think its quite good.

atsonicpark 01.08.2009 03:07 PM

"yeah no one has ever heard animal collective."

10 page long thread and going to be the first band on the Billboard 200 with an exclusively-vinyl (for now) release in the first time in probably 20 years or something.

But none of that means shit!

davenotdead 01.08.2009 03:08 PM

just in case nobody reads that mtv article i just linked to... MPP sold 4,500 VINYL in the first week, and is completely sold out. fuck all y'all haters. for a band as "weird" as AC to do that, and in the digital age no less, is amazing.

Rob Instigator 01.08.2009 03:15 PM

that AIN'T SHIT

the truly popular can queef on a CD and ship out one million copies, all pre-sold. come on. I know it is a relative issue, but you have to define yr parameters.

if you are referring to the set of all bands then AC are still underground and obscure. if you are referring to the lesser subset of bands listened to by those in the sonic youth forum, then AC are "popular"

4500 vinyls sold? THAT AIN'T SHIT SON!!!!!

atsonicpark 01.08.2009 03:15 PM

Animal Collective are a popular band. You have a very narrow and uninformed view of the world. So.... MTV articles doesn't mean shit. Billboard top 200 doesn't mean shit. Spin doesn't mean shit. Listening parties all over the United States doesn't mean shit. Millions of listeners doesn't mean shit. Coverage by EVERY music website, magazine, fanzine, blog, etc. doesn't mean shit. I haven't checked, but their videos probably have MILLIONS of views on youtube. I know, I know, that doesn't mean anything, no one's actually watching them. Oh, what else.. I dunno, I could go on all day. They're not "big by Sonic Youth gossip standards", they are big. Period. And they're only going to get bigger. Also... When, exactly, in this digital age of 2009, do they become "popular"? Once they hit platinum status? That will probably NEVER happen by anyone EVER again, except like Eminem or some bullshit.

Rob Instigator 01.08.2009 03:16 PM

Is Mygirls not just re--using the intro for Peacebone?

davenotdead 01.08.2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
that AIN'T SHIT

the truly popular acn queef on a CD and ship out one million copies, all pre-sold. come on. I know it is a relative issue, but you have to define yr parameters.

if you are referring to the set of all bands then AC are still underground and obscure. if you are referring to the lesser subset of bands listened to by those in the sonic youth forum, then AC are "popular"

4500 vinyls sold? THAT AIN'T SHIT SON!!!!!

i think yr wrong. this is not a Warner release. this is not Def Jam records. AC are not on mtv like Lil Wayne is.

Rob Instigator 01.08.2009 03:19 PM

hence my statement about DEFINING YOUR PARAMETERS

blanket statements like "AC are popular" are meaningless without context.

Mudhoney was not on MTV at first and they sold tens of thouands of LP's through subpop, then a completely indie label.

and they were not very popular, but the Hipsters (like all of us on SY forum) knew about them. there is a difference.

wellcharge 01.08.2009 03:21 PM

not that many people even buy LPs, 4500 in a week on vinyl is a fuck alot, mtv wouldn't write an article about it if it wasn't a big deal

plus...they sold out of them, meaning if they had pressed a couple thousand more they probably could have shipped them as well

SYRFox 01.08.2009 03:21 PM

Stop with the "popular / not popular" right now. No one should give a shit whether a band is popular or not. What does matter is that they appear to play mindblowingly fantastic music

Editor Note: for your own reading pleasure, replace the terms in red in your mind with what you think of the band Animal Collective. Thanks

king_buzzo 01.08.2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Animal Collective sound like drugs who are scared of taking hippies.

hahaha i agreee with this but i still like the album.

atsonicpark 01.08.2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
Stop having interesting discussions on the Sonic Youth gossip forum.

Fixed?

wellcharge 01.08.2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Mudhoney was not on MTV at first and they sold tens of thouands of LP's through subpop, then a completely indie label.

did they sell tens of thousands in the first week? on vinyl only

albums sell way less now than they did back then, this album has been out less than a week and only on one(unpopular) format and has sold enough to possibly chart,there's no way you can say that's not popularity, even mtv is impressed